Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need advice Please help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006 | 04:01 PM

Need advice Please help!

When I bought my Evo 9 i had them throw in the gauges for free, Mitsubishi installed them and i've gone to them for all my oil changes and its bone stock so its still under warranty. It's cooled down a lot here in Arizona and i've been hearing more engine noise than turbo noise i didnt think much of it but the other day on my way to work i looked at my boost gauge which has always hit 1.3 but as soon as it hit it dropped to 1.2 and even 1.1 sometimes, so i thought it was a boost leak. Me and my friends looked at all the lines and couldnt see anything loose or disconected.

The guy working on my car said he just got back from an evo class and said i should only be boosting to 12 psi and that my gauge will only be hitting like .5 or .6 bars from now on and that he thinks that my waste gate is causeing the problems.

Am i getting screwed over because it definetly sounds like it to me? Please let me know.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

I just installed a boost guage on my EVO IX SE. I am hitting 19-20 PSI then droping, Only mod is TBE.

So I think your getting screwed.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Deepseadiver
I just installed a boost guage on my EVO IX SE. I am hitting 19-20 PSI then droping, Only mod is TBE.

So I think your getting screwed.
^^^^^^^^^ I agree...
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AZEVOIX

The guy working on my car said he just got back from an evo class and said i should only be boosting to 12 psi and that my gauge will only be hitting like .5 or .6 bars from now on and that he thinks that my waste gate is causeing the problems.

Am i getting screwed over because it definetly sounds like it to me? Please let me know.

You do know that the stock boost is 20.3 psi.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 04:34 PM

I knew it was 20, but the guys at mitsubishi are convinced that i should only be hitting 12
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Go to another dealer fast.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 04:46 PM
Account Disabled

Sounds like another thread from a couple of days ago. Guy had less boost and took it to the dealer who then told him he should only be boosting like 14 or 15psi. Take it to a dealer who actually knows something about Evos.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

When I bought my Evo 9 i had them throw in the gauges for free, Mitsubishi installed them and i've gone to them for all my oil changes and its bone stock so its still under warranty. It's cooled down a lot here in Arizona and i've been hearing more engine noise than turbo noise i didnt think much of it but the other day on my way to work i looked at my boost gauge which has always hit 1.3 but as soon as it hit it dropped to 1.2 and even 1.1 sometimes, so i thought it was a boost leak. Me and my friends looked at all the lines and couldnt see anything loose or disconected.

Your not getting screwed over. It's just a typical way of finding out you cannot trust an affirmative action hired Mitsubishi master mechanic. You think they give a ratsasst about the performance of your car?
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

thats why i dont take my car to the dealer they dont know jack.......!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

I knew it was 20, but the guys at mitsubishi are convinced that i should only be hitting 12
Ok, you knew Evos run 20psi in stock form, so what's the problem? Are you saying you only recently noticed the boost taper that every Evo has , or are you saying you are actually worried that the moron Mitsu guys are right about the 12psi? What is it you need help with? I don't see anything in this thread that requires help, because your car is boosting just as it should.