Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cams and tune VS bolt-ons and tune

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cams and tune VS bolt-ons and tune

Like the title says, which one makes more horsepower on same boost on stock turbo, same octane (91), and same tune?

2nd question: Which one makes more hp regardless of the octane and/or boost and/or tune?

Finally, Is it even worth it to get cams and tune? Or should be more like, get bolt-ons first before cams?

I've searched everywhere on this site and I still couldn't find it (Unless I searched it wrong.)

Please help, thanx
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say get the Bolt On's first then cams and then tune the car right after you put the cams in!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:32 AM

What bolt ons are you refering to? If you are putting a boost controler and fuel pump in you should get it tuned. Obviously after cams you should get it tuned.

If you are refering to a BOV and an air intake dont worry about it until you upgrade the fuel pump and cams, or up the boost considerably(sp?).
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Go with Buschur stages and save urself time...its all done for you depending on your budget...take stage 1 for starters...AMS have their stages too but I never bought anything from them I know they are excellent also
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tmodlin
What bolt ons are you refering to? If you are putting a boost controler and fuel pump in you should get it tuned. Obviously after cams you should get it tuned.

If you are refering to a BOV and an air intake dont worry about it until you upgrade the fuel pump and cams, or up the boost considerably(sp?).
Bolt-ons im referring to are like the Buschur and AMS Stage 1 packages
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jax419
I'd say get the Bolt On's first then cams and then tune the car right after you put the cams in!
Im considering going to the "dark side" (by voiding the warranty) by getting the Staged packages AND cams then get it tuned
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

IMHO if you have the money and know what you want, try to get it done all in one shot. this way you can save money on the tune.

If you are gonna get it in stages, I would start from the back of the car and go forward. My preferred hardware in the order I would put in was custom tune + catback, testpipe, downpipe, O2 housing, intake, cams, LICP, manifold
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by EVO8URV8
Bolt-ons im referring to are like the Buschur and AMS Stage 1 packages
AMS's stage one includes a flash so I guess that answers your question. Get the exhaust, MBC, and fuel pump and get a tune. If you have the cash for cams do it, otherwise buy those and a flash(again) at a later time.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bosshog
IMHO if you have the money and know what you want, try to get it done all in one shot. this way you can save money on the tune.

If you are gonna get it in stages, I would start from the back of the car and go forward. My preferred hardware in the order I would put in was custom tune + catback, testpipe, downpipe, O2 housing, intake, cams, LICP, manifold
What about UICP? no need to change it? And which manifold ur talking about? Intake or Exhaust manifold? As for the intake, u mean drop-in filter or aftermarket ones? Cause I see some still use the stock intake with drop in.

AMS's stage one includes a flash so I guess that answers your question. Get the exhaust, MBC, and fuel pump and get a tune. If you have the cash for cams do it, otherwise buy those and a flash(again) at a later time.
True
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:25 AM

The stock intake with a drop in has been proven for a lot more power than you are after. Atleast now.

Dont get me wrong, the 'stages' are nice to follow, but, they can be altered a little. Dont expect to bolt on a GT35R with your current mods but if you want cams, boost controller, fuel pump, and a tune do it up. It wont hurt. Just step away from the 280s for now. 272s may be a bit to much for now even.

I understand where you are coming from though, you dont want to buy the same thing twice. It is just a fact of life though, unless you have 10k to drop at once you are going to have to take baby steps.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

The stock intake with a drop in has been proven for a lot more power than you are after. Atleast now.

Dont get me wrong, the 'stages' are nice to follow, but, they can be altered a little. Dont expect to bolt on a GT35R with your current mods but if you want cams, boost controller, fuel pump, and a tune do it up. It wont hurt. Just step away from the 280s for now. 272s may be a bit to much for now even.

I understand where you are coming from though, you dont want to buy the same thing twice. It is just a fact of life though, unless you have 10k to drop at once you are going to have to take baby steps.
Oh no, not after the GT35R (although it's nice to have one). (Makes a note to step away from 280s)

Biggest turbo I planned to put in is whatever I can bolt up to my stock manifold (like the upcoming 20-G-9-5 LT or something like that). Then if I'm still not happy with it (or got more leftover to spend) maybe get alky, meth or another map for race gas. (or i can get those map setup before the 20-G)

We'll see how it goes after the bolt-ons with or without cams.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

What you guys suggest for cams? I'm thinking about GSC's but not yet sure

Last edited by EVO8URV8; Oct 27, 2006 at 02:03 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GSC is always good, better price than HKS I believe!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jax419
GSC is always good, better price than HKS I believe!
And makes more power too

Also, is it necessary to have cam gears or I can use my stock ones and have the tuner make the degree changes?

Last edited by EVO8URV8; Oct 27, 2006 at 02:41 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

I would do the UICP if you have money to burn Manifold wise, from the research I have done, full race stock turbo and JIC seem to be the best ones. Manifolds are not for everyone though as they might crack at one point... you might also try bushur ported coated manifold, but there is no proof/dyno sheet that it makes HP over stock item.

For the intake, I would go with Works drop in if you want it quiet or something like HKS RS if you are fine with noise.

I got a drop in filter and I do not have the freest flowing exhaust, but my decisions were educated decisions and I am happy with the results...

Originally Posted by EVO8URV8
What about UICP? no need to change it? And which manifold ur talking about? Intake or Exhaust manifold? As for the intake, u mean drop-in filter or aftermarket ones? Cause I see some still use the stock intake with drop in.

True

Last edited by Bosshog; Oct 27, 2006 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Cams and tune VS bolt-ons and tune