Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New EVO Owner: question about drivetrain - Claudius?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2003 | 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by zyounker

Also might want to check the pilot bearing in the e-shaft..
I checked the manual. The Evo doesn't have a pilot bearing.
Old May 14, 2003 | 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

I checked the manual. The Evo doesn't have a pilot bearing.
True. Ignore that little discussion that zyounker and I were having about the RX-7.

The e-shaft (eccentric shaft) is the "crankshaft" of a rotary engine. The e-shaft in an RX-7 has a pilot bearing attached to it. Not relevant to the Evo. Sorry for any confusion.
Old May 14, 2003 | 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

What you are hearing is nothing to worry about. It is what we call Neutral gear rattle. When the car is sitting still and in neutral the input shaft spins all gears up to speed but since you haven't selected a gear yet they are free to move back and fourth. Not much movement but enough to where you may hear some rattle noises coming from the tranny. When you depress the clutch pedal the noise stops cause the gears stop moving. Now if you had the same noise when the clutch was pushed in or a gear selected than you would have a bearing problem. Eighter the input or output shaft most likely. Just my two cents
Old May 15, 2003 | 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius
You can hear a slight difference between having the clutch fully depressed and released in neutral, a slight whining noise.
That sounds exactly what Im expierencing.

Had it checked out at the Stealership and the throw out bearing is set correctly. The EVO tech they had onsite said the noise was nothing to worry about. I will however, check my fluid level tonight when I get home! Thanks everyone for their inputs!
Old May 15, 2003 | 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Kinda what I thought. The EVO is even a little louder than my WRX upon decel... man the syncrhos in this EVO tranny are FAST! Im still getting the hang of rev matching the box, but even when i dont get it right, the synchros match speed VERY quickly... sorry off topic but couldnt resist!
Old May 15, 2003 | 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jbrennen

I've heard others talk about strange noises during decel, especially between 5K down to 3K RPM, which sound out of place -- I haven't heard anything like that myself.
I am also expierencing this. Sounds kind of like the noise at idle, but not as amplified during the 5k - 3k decel....

Anyone have any input on this? I read the Tranny Failure thread and want to kill myself. I don't want my 180 mile old car to have tranny issues