Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what exhaust system gets the most WHP gains?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this was the "advanced" forum, come on.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:40 AM

Yep! Virginia Beach here. Got a question for you guys... I just put on a blitz intake and my car seems to be running with less power. I have a blitz turbo timer as well with built in boost gage; mitsubishi says a factory evo 9 like mine is boosting 20.9 psi. However, my gage only says between 11-12 psi-WHATS UP??

One more I will be adding a turbo back 3'' exhaust and a boost controller in the next few weeks. So here is my question with an intake, new blow off valve, boost controler, turbo back 3'' exhaust and a ecu flash, how many psi can i push my factort turbo?????
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:40 AM

After being at buschur on oct 13th for the dyno day I'm convinced that the bushcur exhaust is the only way to go. You've gotta think about other things than whp though. Such as clearance My DP hits one of my cross members and i think its causing phantom knock. All of the cars that had the bushur exhasut had no issue's whatsoever on the dyno, and made more power than cars with similar mods and different exhausts.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NCstate Evo_9
Yep! Virginia Beach here. Got a question for you guys... I just put on a blitz intake and my car seems to be running with less power. I have a blitz turbo timer as well with built in boost gage; mitsubishi says a factory evo 9 like mine is boosting 20.9 psi. However, my gage only says between 11-12 psi-WHATS UP??

One more I will be adding a turbo back 3'' exhaust and a boost controller in the next few weeks. So here is my question with an intake, new blow off valve, boost controler, turbo back 3'' exhaust and a ecu flash, how many psi can i push my factort turbo?????
Your planning on doing the same exact thing i am.. with mods and upping the PSI.. i have done tons of research and asking but the psi i plan on raising to safely is 22 with out any problem
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

I would go Buschur....
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
exact same car as yours... although this was about 3 years ago. Incidentally, it was the high-flow cat and race muffler, which I changed to the magnaflow later for noise reasons.
Ive got the 1st get buschur, so i think its the same as yours. I also have the test pipe and race muffler as well.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

kill yourself
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
kill yourself
we're talking about real life here... not anime...
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
kill yourself

Nice avatar by the way. Goku ss 3 is my favorite, haha.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Every test we have been involved in we have beat out the competition, actually. The test that TPR magazine did a few years ago had us and the Magnaflow Ti at the top. The Magnaflow Ti made .8 of a horsepower more than we did but we beat them out by 1.3 ft lbs of torque. Hard call there, you make the choice.

We have done a ton of testing here at the shop, remember we own a dyno, and have made more power everytime we have swapped out someone else's exhaust for ours, with ONE exception. I swapped out a catback on one car that I would have bet money sucked and it made the exact same power with it off the car as it did on the car. I didn't bother putting ours on that car.
Dave - not to be a bunghole, bur remember, when Al, you and TTP went round and round about the megan exhaust, you wanted to test one, but it was unvailable. Did you ever get one bought and dyno'd? Just curious...
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:34 PM

buschur>greddy, but then again, who would take advice from a no0b
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Greddy TI or RSR GT-II

or just remove your catback. lol
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
The bigger the less restriction, but you will lose torque.
just wondering if you have any dyno evidence of this on a turbo charged vehicle. improperly designed highflow exhausts will change the torque curve on NA vehicles, but I have yet to see one lose on a turbo. please elaborate...

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
I dont believe the above bolded statement has ever been proven. I dont think you nor anyone else has ever published a dyno chart with the Greddy Titanium VS Buschur Catback. I also believe the the Buschur is slightly louder than the Greddy Titanium, being that I have heard both.
I believe their statement was that their FULL turboback makes more power, not just the cat back.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jazzie604
I believe their statement was that their FULL turboback makes more power, not just the cat back.
They have never tested the Greddy Titanium exhaust VS Theirs(Buschurs) so the statement can not be verified true or concluded, from undefined test results. As far as I know NO one has done a back to back test. I would guess the gains would be identical if not slightly in favor of the Greddy due to its larger inside diamter.

Buschur makes a good power producing catback exhaust that is extremely light for a 304 SS system. It serves many people well who arent looking for a quieter exhaust system.

Brian
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Large diameter and titanium is it. If price isn't an issue...

Quick Reply: what exhaust system gets the most WHP gains?