Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I took my evo up to 7620 RPm!!..

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2003 | 07:40 PM

Unhappy I took my evo up to 7620 RPm!!..

well...I juz have couple question...on first gear I took it up to 7000 rpm...then I shift to second....and on second gear...I took it all the way up to 7620 rpm..I fogot to shift.... ...so dumb...then there fule cute.....I couldn't even shift it up to third gear..so..I juz let go the gas...and slow down...by the way..I was trying to race with my friend's MRS...could I have break the tranny or anything else??........I am kinda worry...well..now...the first and second gear doesn't feel kinda strong....for example...before I could heard the turbo come on around 3000 rpm on the second gear... ...can't rem when the turbo kick in on first gear....well....my car is juz about 3000 mile....I just broke in...so that why I decide to lanuch it.....well..it my first trying to drive hard on stick lol.....I let my friends drive it afterward...he said he felt fine...and my other friend said I am juz over reacting....so...please give me some thoughts....thank....
Old May 13, 2003 | 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

It's fine. All in your head
Old May 13, 2003 | 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

The EVO is playing mind games with ya !
**** happens
Old May 13, 2003 | 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

If the clutch is weak, that might be the problem. What happens sometimes is that the clutch tries to slip if overrevving. That has happened to me.
Old May 13, 2003 | 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

And then after cooling off the car would still be normal...

Last edited by Boost Solutions; May 13, 2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 13, 2003 | 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO should be pretty bulletproof against overrevving, as long as you're running the stock ECU (engine computer). The rev limiter will kick in and you'll simply lose power. If you repeatedly bang against the limiter, that's probably not a good idea, but a one-off occurrence shouldn't cause any problem.

I hit the rev limiter on mine just once so far, in 1st gear. It felt exactly as if I had lifted off the throttle (which I did once I realized what I had done), and I didn't notice any problems afterward.

Note that you can overrev the engine quite badly and possibly cause serious damage if you downshift at a speed which is too fast for the lower gear. For example, downshifting into 2nd gear at 80 mph will definitely make your engine quite angry. Note that the synchros will often prevent you from just a disastrous mistake -- getting the gear selector into 2nd at 80 mph won't be easy -- but if you force it in and then let out the clutch pedal, you could have a big problem. Don't try it at home, kids.
Old May 14, 2003 | 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Tis kewl!!.. All I can say is .. it's all "Psychological".. These cars are made to abuse.. Once you forget you overrevved things will be back to normal!!
Old May 14, 2003 | 12:40 AM

Thanks for the thoughts guys............I am ok now...heheh....
Old May 14, 2003 | 01:20 AM

OMG YOU BROKE IT!!! j/k

Have one You'll feel better afterwards

Jay

Cheers