Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Would this of put my oil pump timing off?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would this of put my oil pump timing off?

I installed cams about 2weeks ago and everything is working great, no check engines lights and anything like that. But today i thought of something that made me be concerned. When i had my crank at TDC and my cam gears lined up with the valve cover I went to rotate the crank with a wrench to turn the motor over a couple times to make sure that everything lined up ok, but when i put the wrench on the crank and started to turn i heard the crank gear slip about one tooth on the belt. **** i had forgotton to take out the tensioner tool,so the belt still had some slack in it, i knew i was going to be off time now so i took out the tensioner and turned over the motor and lined up the crank at TDC and sure enough i was one tooth off on the intake, no big deal, i correct the problem and recheck the timing. But now today i was thinking did this throw my timing off on the oil pump, by slipping that one tooth on the crank? The belt did not slip or move at all just the gear on the belt. Anyhelp on this would greatly appreciated.

Last edited by scottatyamaha; Oct 31, 2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

As long as your oil pump is connected it is ok, there is no "timing" for an oil pump. It will pump oil as long as it spins and is connected. If it wasn't connected you would know within a minute or two. Peace.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoneIn420
As long as your oil pump is connected it is ok, there is no "timing" for an oil pump. It will pump oil as long as it spins and is connected. If it wasn't connected you would know within a minute or two. Peace.
wrong... The timing mark is there because of the balance shaft attached to it. I would fix this ASAP so your engine doesn't fall apart. Ask smokedmustang about it.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Do it over again. But all in all if anything was going to go bad it would of been bad already!
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

If anything it could only be off slightly i mean it only slipped one tooth when i tried to turn the crank....from what i understand i thought that the oil pump would naturally swing back to where it should be aligned if you just released the tension on the timing belt....as long as you did not turn it 180 degrees???
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

it'll just get worse over time. your balance shaft will be out of phase and cause vibration. Balance shafts do a great a job but having them out of phase is very bad. There have been several members here who ran their cars with out of phase balance shafts and caused significant damage to their cars.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your oil pump has one of the balance shafts attached to the rear of the pump. It turns in the opposite direction of the other balance shaft, and the two of them are "timed" with each other to offset harmonic vibrations that are naturally caused by the configuration and characteristics of the 4g63 motor. If the balance shafts are not set properly in consideration of each other, and of the crank, they do not cancel out the vibrations they were intended to, and cause other vibrations because of their "out of balance" configuration.

You'll have to take off the timing belt and redo it properly.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

ok...i dont hear any vibrations now just some valvetrain noise. But joeymia you think i will start to vibrate with time?
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
ok...i dont hear any vibrations now just some valvetrain noise. But joeymia you think i will start to vibrate with time?
vibration probally won't be to bad because it is off just one tooth... but overtime the harmonics will causes your bearings to wear out and possibly damage other things.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your help....