Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Methanol Injection VS Race Gas...or BOTH!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Methanol Injection VS Race Gas...or BOTH!

Hey guys...

I just been doing some thinking. There is a gas station that sells Sunoco 100 octane unleaded race gas not to far from me. I was planning on purchasing a meth kit soon but may consider race gas. Its $1.75 more a gallon than 93 ($4.19 a gallon).

They both provide about the same power and make the same results correct? Is there on prefered over the other for high boost?

The other main question:

I was planning in the long future of running meth AND race gas. Will that even provide more gains or is it not worth it because no more power can be pulled from the turbo? I will be on the stock IX turbo for awhile.

Thanks!!!
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1

I would love to know the benifits of either race gas or alky, the only knock I can see on alky would be pump failure, but with a proper standalone or piggyback setup you can monitor the pump and set it up to go into ultra limp dick mode if the pump fails.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Race gas can't fail.

Other than that, they should be more or less the same, performance wise.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried all possible combos:

91oct
91oct plus race gas
91oct plus alcohol/methanol
91oct plus race gas plus methanol

My personal summary is:

91oct plus some race gas makes a huge difference when the boost is turned up
Running methanol over 91oct also gives you huges improvements but adding race gas in top of methanol gives you also some gains but not as dramatic since the methanol alreaduy does all the job.

91oct+ methanol= huge differences
91+ race gas in high content= huge gains
91+race gas+methanol= still some good gains but not as dramatic as previous two combos

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Nov 6, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically, if you can afford the race gas and have access to it 24/7 everywhere you go, then that is the preferable method over alky, because there is no chance of failure. The downside is the cost and of course the availability. Alky costs less in the long run and is available all the time. It's really easy to keep a few cans of 100% denatured alky in the garage that you get from Home Depot, but it's not so easy to have a full tank of 100oct ready at all times, and even if it's available at your local Sunoco, will you always be able to go to that gas station or one like it? If you have a specific tune for 100oct, then you will have to use it all the time. If you use EcuFlash, you could have a 93oct tune and a 100oct tune, then switch between them according to when you can or can't get the 100oct. With alky, I just have my alky+91oct map that I use 24/7 and don't have to worry about gas availability.

If you run alky, you can make more power with race gas than with pump gas due to how much more aggressive you can tune, but it's not as big of a gain as going from pump to race gas or pump to alky. Generally, on the stock turbo, race gas won't get a lot more power than alky, but on bigger turbos, race gas is going to make a lot more power than alky+pump.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^Exactly what you said but in other words.

Evoled, remember that Warrtalon and myself have very similar experiences, we are fitted with the same methanol kit and tuned by the same tuner plus we have both tested our cars hundreds of passes on the track plus a lot of dyno.

Carlos
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Guys, so should I use 91 or 93 after I install my Alky kit plus tune? Also, can I use 100 or higher without being tuned for it?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boscoyo
Hey Guys, so should I use 91 or 93 after I install my Alky kit plus tune? Also, can I use 100 or higher without being tuned for it?
Higher octane is safer. Go with 93 and alcohol injection.
Running higher won't make a difference. It just means less tendency to knock. You don't need to tune for higher octane to run it.

You absolutely need to tune for lower octane should you ever use it.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boscoyo
I'd use the highest octane you can get locally and get tuned for that.

You have to take into consideration what is available to YOU. The higher the octane (generally speaking) the more aggressive you can tune. Higher octane also gives you the added benefit of more resistance to detonation.

You can run 100 octane anytime you want. Most people run race gas and turn up the boost. You only benefit from race gas if you turn up the boost and/or get specifically tuned for it. Running race gas and not changing anything will not yield any gains unless your tune was horrible to begin with.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos, have you ever ran just 100% race gas? How would those gains be? Also, race gas for you guys is 100 octane (unleaded) correct?

Warrtalon, would I still need the alky supporting mods to get the full affect with the race gas like with the alky (FMIC and spark plugs in particular)?

Last edited by _EVOlved_; Nov 6, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boscoyo, I can't imagine why in the world you'd ask if you should use 91 or 93. That's a no-brainer. We only use 91, because it's the highest we can get. If I could run 100oct 24/7 with my alky, I would, but it's not available nor economical.

Evoled, no, "race gas" doesn't mean 100oct. Race gas is anything 98 or above, basically. Anywhere from 100-116, but it's best to run unleaded (100-109 or so, depending on the brand) to save your o2 sensors.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

I got you Warr. So would I still need the alky supporting mods to get the full affect with the race gas like with the alky (FMIC and spark plugs in particular)? Also, so it wouldnt be worth running both because the gains arent much more than just one independently?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If you run alky, you can make more power with race gas than with pump gas due to how much more aggressive you can tune, but it's not as big of a gain as going from pump to race gas or pump to alky. Generally, on the stock turbo, race gas won't get a lot more power than alky, but on bigger turbos, race gas is going to make a lot more power than alky+pump.

+1 on that. I used alky + 100oct at the track with a pretty agressive tune. Other than that one or the other is fine (gas is safer)
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by _EVOled_
I got you Warr. So would I still need the alky supporting mods to get the full affect with the race gas like with the alky (FMIC and spark plugs in particular)? Also, so it wouldnt be worth running both because the gains arent much more than just one independently?
Meth alcohol injection isn't related to race gas.

You can use the either one independent of each other.
I'm planning on running some sort of injection later on. Water meth maybe.
It's a one time setup cost and then periodic refills relatively cheap.
Race gas is always continuously expensive.

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection VS Race Gas...or BOTH!