Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing's new 20gLT, EVO Green turbos ready to be ordered.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got mine installed yesterday. I still have to swap back to DSMlink to get all the airflow data and such, which I will post later. But for now I will say that there is a clear increase in power even while still at 21 psi. More than I would have expected. 60-80 times on pump gas have never been below 2.1 seconds, no matter how much tuning I do. I've spent whole days on it. First pull last night ended up too lean (first hint) on the AEM. Added 10% fuel just to get it safe, it ended up too rich in the mid 10s, but comfortable. Logged two quick pulls and 60-80 times dropped to 1.8 seconds. That's quite an improvement for the same boost and still a little rich, with no other changes.

The car also feels stronger, and if lag has increased I'll have to get some low rpm logs to catch it. It feels just about the same. Quarter throttle at 2500-3k rpm still builds usuable boost. The turbo sounds different too, it's a lower pitch whine, which was intersting. The car also is much stronger from about 6k rpm and up, as others have mentioned. I'm sure the larger turbine wheel plays a role in this, but I also wanted to check boost taper. It's nearly non existant. At the actuator pressure of 19.x psi, there is no taper. Nice flat boost curve. With the HKS set at 30% resulting in just under 21 psi, it tapers to 19.5 by 7500. A little over 1 psi drop, much better than the stock turbo.

Not very scientific, but I figured I add what little I have now for the poeple that are following this thread. So far I am happier than I thought I would be with it, but I really need to get DSMlink on and get some data before I make my decision. That should happen either in the next couple hours or late tonight.

Last edited by kjewer1; Dec 8, 2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I just got mine installed yesterday. I still have to swap back to DSMlink to get all the airflow data and such, which I will post later. But for now I will say that there is a clear increase in power even while still at 21 psi. More than I would have expected. 60-80 times on pump gas have never been below 2.1 seconds, no matter how much tuning I do. I've spent whole days on it. First pull last night ended up too lean (first hint) on the AEM. Added 10% fuel just to get it safe, it ended up too rich in the mid 10s, but comfortable. Logged two quick pulls and 60-80 times dropped to 1.8 seconds. That's quite an improvement for the same boost and still a little rich, with no other changes.

The car also feels stronger, and if lag has increased I'll have to get some low rpm logs to catch it. It feels just about the same. Quarter throttle at 2500-3k rpm still builds usuable boost. The turbo sounds different too, it's a lower pitch whine, which was intersting. The car also is much stronger from about 6k rpm and up, as others have mentioned. I'm sure the larger turbine wheel plays a role in this, but I also wanted to check boost taper. It's nearly non existant. At the actuator pressure of 19.x psi, there is no taper. Nice flat boost curve. With the HKS set at 30% resulting in just under 21 psi, it tapers to 19.5 by 7500. A little over 1 psi drop, much better than the stock turbo.

Not very scientific, but I figured I add what little I have now for the poeple that are following this thread. So far I am happier than I thought I would be with it, but I really need to get DSMlink on and get some data before I make my decision. That should happen either in the next couple hours or late tonight.
Great news! Are you coming from a stock 2005 turbo, just for clarification
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, stock turbo except a Forge WGA. And some more good news. Since it's like 20 degrees out, I'm off the hook for installing a turbo kit on my buddy's 06 SI. So I'm going out shortly to swap in DSMlink and some race gas to see what this thing maxes out at.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kjewer1
Yes, stock turbo except a Forge WGA. And some more good news. Since it's like 20 degrees out, I'm off the hook for installing a turbo kit on my buddy's 06 SI. So I'm going out shortly to swap in DSMlink and some race gas to see what this thing maxes out at.
you sure your acceleration numbers aren't being improved by the cold air? It's effin cold out there
Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I have read a lot of it but am sure to have missed some.

Originally Posted by dadriva
^^ If you read the thread it's all there. But, I do understand not wanting to thumb through 31 pages.

Car is an 05 Evo 8 SSL

stock motor
stock head
stock intake mani
stock throttle body
Buschur mixed stage 4
DC mani
720cc injectors
AEM
20g LT
Old Dec 8, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

What does a 400/390 whp car on Buschur's dyno typically trap?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
you sure your acceleration numbers aren't being improved by the cold air? It's effin cold out there
I meant to put in my post that it was 50 degrees yesterday. Gotta love the new england weather, 50 one day, 20 the next. I've tried the 60-80 tuning in cooler weather, probably down to 40 degrees, with no real help. Over such a short span a little help from temperature really doesn't show up against the resolution/variability of the test. I can certainly try it again today though and see if there is a measureable gain at 20 degrees.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05WhiteEVO8
What does a 400/390 whp car on Buschur's dyno typically trap?
With 366whp on BR's dyno, the car trapped 124mph. Dave and I both think the car should trap 128-129mph. That should easily make it a 10 sec. car.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I see no reason to NOT install the Green turbo on the car in question with Stage 2 on it now. Going up to Stage 4 and putting the turbo on the car isn't going to harm it, just make sure the tune is good.

Kevin,

Thanks for the quick review on the turbo. One way of knowing for sure the car is making more power/flowing more air is the fact that it went lean adding the other turbo. That means it is flowing more air, as you know. When we started experimenting and machining wheels with the other company for the "20g" we built a few turbos that the AFR's got richer on, as soon as I'd see that I knew the wheel was a flop.

05white,

As Bobby said, he ran 124 trap speeds with only 366 whp before. He gained 40+ whp AND 40+ ft lbs with the addition of the new turbo and AEM. I'd love to see him trap in the 128 range with the car and run 10's. The car is fast and he can drive like mad, one of the best shifters I have ever seen.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Going to do a Christmas special on these turbos.

Right now the 20GLT (Greens) can be bought from us for $1599 AND you can get the complete install kit for only $150. You do not have to buy an install kit if you won't want to.

The install kit will include the needed turbo outlet pipe in 304 SS, gaskets, bolts, water and oil line. This is normally $270.

Give us a ring if you want to order, 440-839-1900.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

hmm... tempting
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Going to do a Christmas special on these turbos.

Right now the 20GLT (Greens) can be bought from us for $1599 AND you can get the complete install kit for only $150. You do not have to buy an install kit if you won't want to.
when is the sale over? 12/26/06?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Kevin,

Thanks for the quick review on the turbo. One way of knowing for sure the car is making more power/flowing more air is the fact that it went lean adding the other turbo. That means it is flowing more air, as you know. When we started experimenting and machining wheels with the other company for the "20g" we built a few turbos that the AFR's got richer on, as soon as I'd see that I knew the wheel was a flop.
The turbo definitely flows more air. Once I can get all the information together I'll post the results.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Well the 25th is a Monday and we are closed. So if you place the order online it is good up until the 25th. If you are calling us it will be until the 22nd, that's the last Friday we are open before Christmas.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I will be calling this weekend to place my order, I believe I am sold on this.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing's new 20gLT, EVO Green turbos ready to be ordered.....