Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Diagnosing ACD problems?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
well, a week later and it's still o.k.
Thanks a lot for the help, cause i would have never equated running led bulbs to acd fault.

so for all the people 05 and up using leds, make sure you add in a load resistor.

Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Hello, sorry to bring this topic back up again...as I am experiencing ACD problems right now....

This all started after I replaced my clutch assembly. The tech assured me that they bled the system properly. I get the car back and everything is normal, but after driving for a while, the 3 lights come back again. Been thinking of what driving scenario that was common to all occurences.

the only thing I came up with was that the lights come out when I do a stopover, where I shut the car off for a few minutes, to fill up gas, to take a bathroom break, and then restart it again. Within minutes, the 3 lights will come on...does this make sense? anything that can help me diagnose the issue.

The tech scanned it for me today also, and they got some kind of sensor on the ACD that was faulty. They checked it and cleaned it and returned the car to me, could that be a problem? What sensor would they be talking about?

Also, last questions...how do you diagnose a ACD pump failure? If you turn the key to the "on" position without starting and then no fluid comes out?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Update on my issue...turns out all my assumptions are not so scientific.

Brought it to the shop who installed my clutch...they used a scanned brand called Launch. I got a chance to see it work! It is amazing what that scanner can do...it not only logs error codes, but it can also read real time what each sensor outputs to the ECU are.

The issue with my car is that it shows a code, P0021 I think, and it is pointing to a sensor. To be more sure, the mechanic test drove the car, and plugged the Launch computer to it to read real time data. It turns out the VSS on the front right tire is off...while others were reading 30, this one reads 12. They reset the system and ran the car a couple more times and all readings are even now...hopefully that is the end of my ACD issues!

Also, been reading a lot about where the fluids are for cars with ACD...I have read that it is behind the driver side headlight....I checked my car and there was nothing there. The only reservior that I see with the white cap with "ATF III" written on it was on the driver side trunk area...can anyone confirm if the reservoir for the VII RS2 is just one tank for both AYC and ACD?

Last edited by exacc; Dec 11, 2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Well, turns out resetting the system and sensor was not enough...the 3 lights came back, and read the code, it was the same code on the same sensor...turns out the sensor reads right during acceleration, but when the car is decelerating, it reads wrong...changed the sensor, and hopefully it will be fixed this time.

The VSS sensor is also the ABS sensor...it is one in the same.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:06 AM
mot
Evolved Member

the white cap thats says atf is the acd rezzy
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:14 AM

Well, bringing this back to the top. I have had the car for about a month now, and the 3 lights have came on 2-3 tome before this randomly, but would go off and stay off if I restared the car. But yesterday, It would come on aboubt 5 min after i turned on the car, and it would keep doing it, no matter if i would start the car again or not. But after I like it sit for a few hours... its off again, and its off today. The car is totally stock... but any reason why the lights will just randomlly come on under normal driving?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mobilman
Well, bringing this back to the top. I have had the car for about a month now, and the 3 lights have came on 2-3 tome before this randomly, but would go off and stay off if I restared the car. But yesterday, It would come on aboubt 5 min after i turned on the car, and it would keep doing it, no matter if i would start the car again or not. But after I like it sit for a few hours... its off again, and its off today. The car is totally stock... but any reason why the lights will just randomlly come on under normal driving?
air in the system,pump failing,acd ecu issue,
first check the pump make sure it is working and reservoir is full remeber acd only activates when you accelerate. so be sure it is full of fluid atf! hold the gas pedal to the floor then turn the key to the on position do not start it u should hear the acd pump come on.

with that done jack it up and bleed the system using a the small bleeder nipple on the tcase. activate the pump while cracking it loose.

if all else fail you may have an issue with the acd ecu located behind the glove box jammed up in an impossible corner to get it will have a sticker that clearly says acd good luck getting this damn ecu out without removing lots of stuff!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn on the ignition, but don't start the car. Jumper pin 4 to ground on the OBDII port. Count the flashes on the ACD display. The slow ones are for the first number, the fast ones for the second. Tell us what number you get. This can help narrow down the problem. As noted on the fist page of this thread, it can be one of many things.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Damn this sounds like alot of scary stuff. I hope I never run into diagnosing a problem like this it sounds like its going to cost alot.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

O
Originally Posted by impact blue
Damn this sounds like alot of scary stuff. I hope I never run into diagnosing a problem like this it sounds like its going to cost alot.
Ehh, its not too bad really. The error codes really help pinpoint the problem. Worse case it ends up being the pump in which case you search the forums and find a used one for $300.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
let me rephrase my question.
Can I get acd trouble codes w/ a normal obdII scan tool?
you can get the codes with most obdII scanners, i use my accessport to scan for codes
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ptakats
you can get the codes with most obdII scanners, i use my accessport to scan for codes
I don't believe the ACD codes can be read by an OBDII scanner. They are on a different ECU entirely. I may be wrong about that though. My car had AEM so I had no choice but to use the method I described a couple posts up.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:55 PM

i got the code p0012 over the weekend and took it in to the dealer (still under warrantee) and they said the timing chain was loose from over revving. To quote "the timing chain is sensitive on the evo and should not be revved" and so because nothing was TECHNICALLY broken, i have to pay for the diagnostic process.... stealerships.......