Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Headlight height adjusment problem...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2003, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mad_VIII

Wrong dude. the higher the number the lower the lights are aimed. add weight to the trunk drops the rear so you click up to 1 or 2 to lower the lights.

I plan to raise mine so that I keep it on 2 for normal driving and zero for open roads at night.
Hmmm... maybe you are right. Just to clarify, what I meant by "lowest setting" wasn't the number on the dial, but rather how high the lights shine. But now I am confused. I had assumed that the "proper" headlight setting for normal driving was to have the lights point as low as they will go, because any higher and they seem to shine in the eyes of oncoming traffic. (To my eyes, at least.) Is this not right? Plus, I still don't get it: why would you need load compensating headlights on a car that doesn't carry a load? I mean, how many Samoans can you fit in the back seat?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Guys with the rattle - don't know if this is the same thing or not, but do you usually only hear it with the windows down and roof open? If so check the little paper tag on the front seat belt right above the unit on the floor. That thing flapped around so hard last weekend my wife heard it. It's pretty high pitched (what you'd expect form a small piece of paper flapping around), and something I just noticed. It sounds almost as if it's coming from the middle of the b-pillar.

Just a thought. Carry on.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Problem I have is that mine are set too low at the "0" setting (which is as high as it will aim the lights) I'm over driving the lights at like 40mph. Techinfo has **** instructions on adjusting the lights and I have yet to find a long handle torx bit that will fit down into the adjuster.

I'm glad the feature is there cause if you do what I plan on doing (setting the dial on 2 or 3 then aiming the lights for normal driving) you have the ability to adjust the lights on the fly for a higher or lower beam to take care of all situations.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

OK, sorry it's been a while since I've been on this thread, but they fixed my rattle. It was a slight rattle that bugged the **** out of me, because I drive an hour and a half to and from work each day, each way. They did fix it. They had the roof liner thing all out and apart, and something was loose/not fitting right there. I thought it was the door/window frame that was making the noise, but they said it was the sunroof liner on the car that rattled. Anyway, the noise is gone. Tell your service dude that's what it might be. My car had to come pretty much totally apart on the one side for them to find it, and it took 3 trips to the dealership.

Originally posted by svillata
Incognito:

What is the latest word on your rattle in the B-pillar (that is the b pillar, right?.... by your left ear?). I have the same thing. Very light creak or rattle, NOT super loud, NOT all the time, only on occasion, but it really annoys me. It ain't right. My service guy is really cool, he checks things on this forum, and is trying to be helpful.... so if you have any info, it will help he and I figure out what this is. When I drove with him, unfortunately, it was NOT making the noise.... but he does believe me that it is there. Says that he has seen that problem in the past with a chassis creak in other cars (not Evo), and really almost nothing they can do except try to ram some sound insulation in there...but he'll try to fix it if he can find it.

ANyway, let me know if they ever found it / fixed it and what they had to say, so I can talk to my service guy about it.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thnks man. appreciate the info / update.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
also: mad VIII -- keep us updated if and when you adjust the headlights. I want to do the same.. but I am kinda mechanically challenged,(or maybe I'm just stupid?) so need someone else to do it first and describe the procedure very clearly. Yeah, its a little scary pushing 75mph on a mountain road with those damn lights pointing at the ground. I actually like the regular lights on my Forester much better.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by svillata
also: mad VIII -- keep us updated if and when you adjust the headlights. I want to do the same.. but I am kinda mechanically challenged,(or maybe I'm just stupid?) so need someone else to do it first and describe the procedure very clearly. Yeah, its a little scary pushing 75mph on a mountain road with those damn lights pointing at the ground. I actually like the regular lights on my Forester much better.
Werd. I gotta stop by an auto parts place and pickup a long T handle torx bit. I'll post up the info once I figure it out.