Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Headlight height adjusment problem...

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2003, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight height adjusment problem...

Question. Please go and check on your car then answer me. Evo's have the headlight height adjusting dial thing, to aim the headlights higher or lower. I could have sworn that both headlights moved. I was in traffic tonight, and started playing with the dial, and only the driver's side headlight moved. Does the dial only control the left headlight, or did my right one take a ****?
Old May 15, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I have been playing with it a few times before and is pretty sure that both move up and down. I think your right one went out. You should take it back to the dealer.
Old May 15, 2003, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Warranty Time!
Old May 15, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I think both of them are supposed to work.

I called the dealership and the service guy said it should be both, not one.

Appointment for tomorrow morning.
Old May 16, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, they are both supposed to move together. The purpose is for load compensation. If you fill the trunk with luggage and put four people in the car, your headlights will be pointing at the sky! You can adjust them back down so you won't blind oncoming traffic...
Old May 16, 2003, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EVOeight
... The purpose is for load compensation. If you fill the trunk with luggage and put four people in the car, your headlights will be pointing at the sky! You can adjust them back down so you won't blind oncoming traffic...
i highly doubt it...

it's to adjust to what your vision likes best, not for 'load compensation'

let us know how the headlight warranty thing works !
Old May 16, 2003, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jotan82
i highly doubt it...

it's to adjust to what your vision likes best, not for 'load compensation'

let us know how the headlight warranty thing works !
Read your manual thats what the adjustment i for.
Old May 22, 2003, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

I brought my car back to the dealership, for a rattle sound in the piillar by your left ear (between the driver's door and the rear left door), and for the headlight. One of the service dudes took a ride with me (I was afraid that they would ***** about mods, but they haven't yet). Anyway, I had the mechanic drive the car, and he did hear the noises. I thought it was the window glass or something. Anyway, he heard it, and also saw that only 1 headlight moved. They had the car in the back for an hour or so, and told me they ripped apart my door and some of the pillar and said it wasn't a rattle, but a creak.... they said it was somewhere in the body. I was like oh ****... They said it's like chassis flex or something that's making it make noise. Told me I'd have to leave the car with them for them to pull the rest of the left side apart (roof area). They told me the headlight took a ****, and that they'd order a new one (I guess it's one whole assembly and not just the motor if they're replacing the whole thing). I told them I'll leave the car when the headlight comes in, and they said that's probably best, because the creaking sound will take a few hours to do.

So yeah, now the headlight just came in. I'm gonna make the appointment for next week. Gonna be driving the Evo down to South Beach for the weekend (from NJ). I hope that creaking sound doesn't bother me too much on the way down. The headlight thing I can live with, because it's stuck in one of the middle positions.

So far, my dealership experience has been good. I hope it stays that way.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 06:02 AM

The normal height is at 0 but if you dial it to any higher numbers the headlamp decreases height of the light. Im not happy with the normal setting of the headlamp, Im taking it back to the dealer to get them adjusted up a little
Old Jun 9, 2003, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Can the headlight be adjusted manually to go higher Than the Preset control? even at the highest level i think its pointing too low. Anyone?

Laterz
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Incognito:

What is the latest word on your rattle in the B-pillar (that is the b pillar, right?.... by your left ear?). I have the same thing. Very light creak or rattle, NOT super loud, NOT all the time, only on occasion, but it really annoys me. It ain't right. My service guy is really cool, he checks things on this forum, and is trying to be helpful.... so if you have any info, it will help he and I figure out what this is. When I drove with him, unfortunately, it was NOT making the noise.... but he does believe me that it is there. Says that he has seen that problem in the past with a chassis creak in other cars (not Evo), and really almost nothing they can do except try to ram some sound insulation in there...but he'll try to fix it if he can find it.

ANyway, let me know if they ever found it / fixed it and what they had to say, so I can talk to my service guy about it.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same rattle noise except it is on the pass. side My dealers service department sucks
Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by eternal9

Read your manual thats what the adjustment i for.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. If you read your manual you will learn what wants you to THINK they are for. It doesn't make sense, if you think about it. The lowest setting is already the "normal" setting, so if you had a heavy load in the rear, all you could do is adjust the headlights to go even higher, which doesn't make sense. Plus, it's not as if you would (or even can, according to the manual) be pulling a boat or something, so load issues are negligible.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

You are mistaken. If you are at 0, you can only adjust them lower...
Old Jun 25, 2003, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hedonic Tread

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. If you read your manual you will learn what wants you to THINK they are for. It doesn't make sense, if you think about it. The lowest setting is already the "normal" setting, so if you had a heavy load in the rear, all you could do is adjust the headlights to go even higher, which doesn't make sense. Plus, it's not as if you would (or even can, according to the manual) be pulling a boat or something, so load issues are negligible.
Wrong dude. the higher the number the lower the lights are aimed. add weight to the trunk drops the rear so you click up to 1 or 2 to lower the lights.

I plan to raise mine so that I keep it on 2 for normal driving and zero for open roads at night.

Quick Reply: Headlight height adjusment problem...