Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why meth/water inj and not more fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the EM around today, a pump failure isn't a big deal, most ecus can save the car before any real damage and with the failsafes out there is a lot of added protection...
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
water/methanol injection did not start recently. It was used 70 years ago in airplane engines and increased horsepower from 1800+ horsepower to over 2100. That proves two points, it didn't start recently and it works.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
With the EM around today, a pump failure isn't a big deal, most ecus can save the car before any real damage and with the failsafes out there is a lot of added protection...
I definitely hear ya. I think inj is the way to go if you don't want to run race all the time. I'm sure I will end up with a kit in the not to distant future even though there is a gas station thats sells 100 oct less than a mile from my house.

It is still a slight fear in the back of the head though. Kinda like how after seeing Jaws as a kid I couldn't swim in the deep end of the pool at night in fear of Jaws eating me. I now know that there are no sharks in my pool, but the thought still creeps into my head from time to time. Haha
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

The Germans were so successful with it, that the Americans tested it and started using it. The water instantly vaporizes and cools the charge while the alcohol helps to cool and increases octane rating. Water/Meth CAN be used instead of an intercooler for boost levels up to about 20 psi. Cars have been known to make 1000 horsepower without an intercooler, only using water/meth.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Plus you have the upside of it steam cleaning your cylinder walls.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking about trying Vodka/Water. I figure if I can't find someone to race, I'll just sit and drink it.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

steam cleaning

Originally Posted by Wolf28
Plus you have the upside of it steam cleaning your cylinder walls.
not only cylinder walls, pistons, spark plugs

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=spark+plug
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
I'm thinking about trying Vodka/Water. I figure if I can't find someone to race, I'll just sit and drink it.
lol.....vodka is only 80 proof

how about some everclear/water
Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar

Going right for the good stuff huh.
Meth is a no brainer, not to mention if you only want to make 400-450 on pump gas that can be redially obtained on a 50 trim and cams, and a decent tune, no meth, stock turbo without meth though its not happening.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

LOL
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QuickOne
Contrary to what everyone in this thread seems to think, i'm not trying to replace meth/alky. I'm trying to stay away from it all together. I want to run a pure gasoline car that makes 400-450 whp without all of the extra gadgets.

My point about adding fuel/pulling timing on previous cars was all part of the tuning process. Of course, i could have made gobs more power with 100oct and a race gas map, but, I don't have 100oct readily available to me (and i'm not going to get a 55gal drum to put in my garage)..

This car needs to be regularly fueled on 93oct and will only have limited time on anything else.

These cars have been making well over 500hp for years. Meth/Alky injection (in augmenting regular gasoline - not 100% meth/alky injection) is only a fad that has started recently. And honestly, i don't think it's needed.

As soon as I get my new ems, i will be trying this method before going to anything else.
You don't seem to understand the basics about tuning. Like everyone is saying, adding a lot of fuel and running low timing in order to raise boost gets you nothing. It's all about optimal mix, and a lean AFR is one of the principal sources of power. You seem to be very missing some very basic points in a very odd way.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Buick Grand National guys and European racing teams have been using water injection systems well before Supra and Evo people picked it up.

QuickOne, it sounds like you're trying to invent a better mousetrap. search around and you'll see that if your "logic" was a better way to tune the Evo many powerhouses (AMS and Buschur to name 2) would have been all over this. but in the end its your car, your time, your money and your energy...give it a shot and post your results, we're all curious to hear.

Last edited by Evo_SpeedKing; Nov 11, 2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

i was thinking....fighter jets use afterburners.....
injection of fuel into the exhaust stream to increase thrust - at the expense of exuberant fuel consumption

maybe if he can "somehow" put some fuel injectors in the exhaust manifold to increase post-combustion volume for spooling the snail

but then, 14.7-1 is stoichiometric combustion and a normal car runs somewhere between 11-1 to 12-1, oxygen content is pretty much depleted......
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Omg

[QUOTE=SlowCar]i was thinking....fighter jets use afterburners.....
injection of fuel into the exhaust stream to increase thrust - at the expense of exuberant fuel consumption

maybe if he can "somehow" put some fuel injectors in the exhaust manifold to increase post-combustion volume for spooling the snail

QUOTE]

Woah Nelly!..... Keep that kind of thinking in your head, or people will KNOW you don't know the first thing about this stuff. A Jet fighter accellerates by producing thrust through the tail end of his jet engine. How much thrust do you think an evo produces out it's tailpipe? How would starting a fire after your turbo increase post combustion anything? It is POST-COMBUSTION. In the combustion phase of operation is when a piston motor makes power.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

i was thinking....fighter jets use afterburners.....

but then, 14.7-1 is stoichiometric combustion and a normal car runs somewhere between 11-1 to 12-1, oxygen content is pretty much depleted......
That's called anti-lag. Extra fuel in the exhaust mani, a hot turbo, and a bit of air injection for O2 - boom, anti-lag.

Quick Reply: Why meth/water inj and not more fuel?