Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why meth/water inj and not more fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lbcevo
You don't seem to understand the basics about tuning. Like everyone is saying, adding a lot of fuel and running low timing in order to raise boost gets you nothing. It's all about optimal mix, and a lean AFR is one of the principal sources of power. You seem to be very missing some very basic points in a very odd way.

Wow, you're funny. You make me laugh.

I never said in any one of my posts that I wouldn't be hunting for the optimal air/fuel. I never said that i would pull timing in sacrifice of power (as that is what the tune is all about). I just said that I don't believe "meth is the answer" as a lot of people on here believe. I've never had to use it in the past and with over 10yrs of tuning experience, i believe i know what i'm talking about.

As for supras and race teams running meth - THAT'S BECAUSE THE TUNE WAS BUILT ON A BETTER OCTANE MAP! I dont' want to tune against a better octane map as the things that make the better octane are hard to obtain around me (living in the sticks has it's disadvantages). I want a 93oct, 450hp map - no meth, no alcohol, no water inj, and no 100oct.

As for all of the people and their talk "someone else(tuners) would be doing it...".. Blah blah blah. There's always got to be a first person to do it. Just because no one else has done it doesn't mean that it can't be done.

As soon as i have the ems for my IX, i will try and find out what the limits of the 3076 on pump gas alone are.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You aren't going to be the first person to do anything, that's the problem. You're going to take a turbo that needs to push big boost, and you're going to NOT push big boost while using low octane with low timing and weak AFRs. The end result will be a terribly laggy Evo that makes no more power than a stock turbo'd Evo boosting hard on meth. In fact, you'll probably make 50 less wtq, and your peak torque will hit 1000rpm later than a hard-charging stock turbo'd car that makes 430wtq at 4000rpm with near instantaneous spool.

You will also be getting your clock cleaned by others with the same or even smaller turbos who know that to get the full potential of their turbo upgrade, they need some sort of octane enhancement.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually there are a lot of people on this board, like Dave Buschur, who have already made huge power (like over 500 WHP on a Dynojet) on 93 pump gas alone (no meth). Many people have made ~450 WHP on 91-93, NO meth. Did you know this? Have you searched this forum? They add meth or race gas when they want to make a lot more than 450. What's odd about you is how you're speaking about tuning for max power on pump without alky/water as if you're the first one to think of it. That's really strange. How could you be the first to think of that when it's what 99% of those who have there cars flashed do. It's what Mitsu does. with a large margin of safety. Do you believe you have more knowledge than Mitsus engineers?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=KawRider]
Originally Posted by SlowCar
i was thinking....fighter jets use afterburners.....
injection of fuel into the exhaust stream to increase thrust - at the expense of exuberant fuel consumption

maybe if he can "somehow" put some fuel injectors in the exhaust manifold to increase post-combustion volume for spooling the snail

QUOTE]

Woah Nelly!..... Keep that kind of thinking in your head, or people will KNOW you don't know the first thing about this stuff. A Jet fighter accellerates by producing thrust through the tail end of his jet engine. How much thrust do you think an evo produces out it's tailpipe? How would starting a fire after your turbo increase post combustion anything? It is POST-COMBUSTION. In the combustion phase of operation is when a piston motor makes power.
LMFAO

jet powered evo - beware AMS/buschur!