Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Turbo kit on an Evo9...anyone try it yet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007 | 10:07 AM

Bro, the 25G turbo is a great turbo. I recently ordered that kit for my 05 Evo. I have used that turbo on my civic for the past 4years now and i love it. I put down 510hp at only 21lbs, and the spool up is faster than any other t3 or t4 turbo that i have ever used.
I have not yet installed the turbo kit on my evo, because the turbo on my civic broke and i had to replace it with the one from my evo kit. I am currently searching for a replacement cartridge so i can get this kit installed on my evo.

I have no doubts that this turbo will make power on my evo. I think i preffered the 25G with the 8cm rear housing though
Old Jan 30, 2007 | 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

The manifolds have been known to crack on those kits, also the HP numbers with this kit have not been to impressive on the evo. Buschur turbo kits FTW, Its tough to beat the price, quality, and performance.
Old Jan 30, 2007 | 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

For a decent spool for road racing at the 400hp mark, i say a bb50 trim is right there for ya
Old Jan 30, 2007 | 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

I have ridden in two Evo's (03 models) that had the Greddy T67/25g kit. One was making a little under 400 whp due to it not being tuned properly while the other one was making 488 whp on pump. The kit is pretty laggy but man once the power hits, it freakin hits. I was going to purchase this kit but decided at the last minute on the Apexi RX6 kit (great kit for the money) because it was about $400 cheaper at the time of purchase. Currently I'm making 434 whp and 360 tq at 21 lbs. on pump. I'm hoping to gain a little more power this week once I swap cams and pistons. Good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 30, 2007 | 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 555R
ok
the plan right now is to figure out the 4th gear grenading issue on the 6 speed
for next years upcoming road racing season
engine mods at the moment are light
intake tbe ebc flash 255liter pump setup for pumpgas at 24psi
im not overly worried about a little lag provided boost doesnt hit like a hammer which
will disrupt handling and accelerating out of corners
im about 50 hps shy of my 400 whp goal
no need for more to keep it reliable
does that help?
although the buschur 20G sounds nice but im looking for a ball bearing turbo to reduce lag
if i can reach my goal at less boost
its less hell on the motor

but it has a killer suspension setup
i don't think u fully understand these turbos. buschur's 20G and fp green will hit full spool before 4000rpm, unlike ANY other turbos that u've mentioned. so what its not a ballbearing? it will get u 400whp on pump gas and it spools way faster than that greddy kit, 50trim and so on...
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 555R

drag racing....boring.......
I cant see waiting around all day for 3 passes of how many seconds
not much seat time
or you can have up to 4-6 hours on a weekend at the track
you learn how to drive the car
Yes, but most of the time you are paying between $200-400 to play them 4-6 hours, not to mention the wear and tear you put on your tires/brakes(not that either last that long anyways).... I personally like to pay the $20 to go to the track and see how fast i can get it over with

As for turbo decisions, why not go with the 20GLT? it sounds so far the most pleasing for your application.. Wouldn't it be nice to have instant spool coming out of an apex?

i think 30+ size turbo's including the 50 trim will put you in the drag category... just my 2cents
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

actually yes i do understand turbos
thats why I asked for an actual first hand impression...
I have been in this import ballgame since 1988 and playing with turbos and forced induction since 92 with VWs, Hondas, my old 1978 euro 930 and DSMs
as far back as Jeff Hills shop in a gas station too
I was one of his turbo dealers back then also...
as with all cars
every engine and configuration is different and one turbo may work better then that turbo on this engine or that engine

as for road racing yes its 2-400 a pop but you get an average of 4-6 hours actual seat time. yes its abusive on tires and brakes
but you learn to drive your car much better then how fast you engage the clutch and shift
vehicle dynamics are learned at or near your own limits and sometimes the cars limits and then you go offroading or hit a blue tree...
i think its well worth the money IMHO...
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

just go with some of the other vendors on this site,
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

The Greddy Kit which I believe you are refering to the 25G kit works well. I doers make power. It is NO BB so it is laggier and the manifolds do crack, quite often as it is a BIG turbo and then a LOT of heat just hanging there. It does work otherwise and since spollup is very gradual (Doesn't Spike) it is fairly easy to tune on and will make over 500WHP on race gas. The GT series Turbo Kits are better though.
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlownIncome
I have ridden in two Evo's (03 models) that had the Greddy T67/25g kit. One was making a little under 400 whp due to it not being tuned properly while the other one was making 488 whp on pump. The kit is pretty laggy but man once the power hits, it freakin hits. I was going to purchase this kit but decided at the last minute on the Apexi RX6 kit (great kit for the money) because it was about $400 cheaper at the time of purchase. Currently I'm making 434 whp and 360 tq at 21 lbs. on pump. I'm hoping to gain a little more power this week once I swap cams and pistons. Good luck with your decision.

How is that Apexi Kit in terms of spool?: 434WHP is spot on in terms of a BB50Trim on pump if not better. I was always concerned about the following...

This is NOT a water cooled Turbo, on oil cooled so timing it is mandatory
The Manifolds do eventually crack and did so on the sponsors race car
I believe since the manifolds cracked there have been revisions so make sure you get one of those
Spool-up and Throttle response
Top End power
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
wow there are some seriously ingnorant comments on here.

Whowever said this turbo kit doesn't make power is stupid. Because thats the onlything it does.

It makes really good power. however the manifold is really weak and most everyone out has cracked.

Also it is an EXTREMELY laggy turbo. But it makes tons of power.
+1

Tuner in Japan makes over 600 hp with the TD06-25G turbo, on an Evo.
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

The performance trade off for lag is not worth it. GT series or go home. FTW
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Get a 20G 9 LT,much more better suited to our application(400whp and spool up very fast).
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

25G makes good power. I rode in blowoffsilvers car, he posted on the 2nd page of this thread. He switched over to a WR-9 Turbo. Oddly enought, he ran a faster time and mph in the 1/8 mile with the WR-9 turbo setup than the Greddy 25G.

The WR-9 is the same turbo as the Bushcur 20G-9-5 turbo EXCEPT it has a Ti/AL turbine shaft and wheel. (35% lighter than inconel shaft). So the WR-9 has capability to make 400 WHP on 93 octane fuel and spool up faster than the stock 16G-9.8 turbo. The Ti/Al shaft is a $500 option now. The price of Titanium has gone up, so they are hard to find. But that is the best option for what you are looking for. A ballbearing version wouldnt spoolup much faster than the WR-9. BTW, the Greddy 25G kit is NOT a ball bearing turbo, as some one posted above.

The next best bet for you would be the 20G-LT turbo. Spools up faster than any aftermarket NON stock based turbo, plus will make over 400 whp (dynojet) on pump gas, IF you can get the boost to hold up at 7700 RPM.
Old Jan 31, 2007 | 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Dyno numbers mean jack anyways. Trap speeds show how fast the car is really capable of...

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo kit on an Evo9...anyone try it yet