Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DSMLink and other ECU development...

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2003, 10:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DSMLink and other ECU development...

Anyone heard anything recently about DSMLink (or the EVO-link I hear now), or any other OE ECU based programs? I'm talking to Works, but wondering how far along some of the OE ECU user tunable options are going...
Old May 16, 2003, 10:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Geeze... 33 people interested in looking at the thread, but no one knows anything?
Old May 16, 2003, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...well since you want someone to reply.

Why don't you just call DSMlink and find out?
Old May 16, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

We're around, just not doing anything with the EVO yet. We've been focussing on version 2 of the existing product because that particular project has been looming over our heads long enough. Time to get it out and over so we can focus exclusively on the next item...the EVO.

We have looked at and identified most of the tables in the EVO ECU. Surprising how many of them are identical to the 2G DSMs. :-) If we really wanted to do the "typical" ECU reflash thing, that would certainly be doable at this point. Looks like enough other parties are interested in doing that, though.

Thomas Dorris
Old May 17, 2003, 01:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by sneakychaos
...well since you want someone to reply.

Why don't you just call DSMlink and find out?
Old May 17, 2003, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by twdorris
We're around, just not doing anything with the EVO yet. We've been focussing on version 2 of the existing product because that particular project has been looming over our heads long enough. Time to get it out and over so we can focus exclusively on the next item...the EVO.

We have looked at and identified most of the tables in the EVO ECU. Surprising how many of them are identical to the 2G DSMs. :-) If we really wanted to do the "typical" ECU reflash thing, that would certainly be doable at this point. Looks like enough other parties are interested in doing that, though.

Thomas Dorris

please get it out as soon as possible!!

thanks for your input Thomas!
Old May 18, 2003, 09:52 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by twdorris

Thomas Dorris
Sure would like to see something before too long. I have already resolved that an interim solution will be required. Going for Vishnu's XEDE until something better comes along.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Bump ....... Dsmlink for the evo?
Old May 16, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RENN-ART
please get it out as soon as possible!!

thanks for your input Thomas!
+1
Old May 16, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Old May 17, 2005, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Having the DSMLink on my Eclipse I can strongly recommend the product if it ever comes out for the Evo. The features available are just that good and control is perfect for the price range. For now I am using a Super AFC 2 but once I hit 11's I'm going to want to trade up.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOLUTIONIZE
Bump ....... Dsmlink for the evo?
Tom Dorris just answered the question. He's the founder and creator of the DSM link.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

I think it was bumped was because the last action in this thread was back in 2003...
Twdorris, any updates? I used to have a dsmlink on my last car. Currently I'm making do with the e-manage, but I'm convinced that nothing runs the car as smoothly as the factory ecu (with tweaks of course)

Last edited by smackdaddy; May 17, 2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smackdaddy
I think it was bumped was because the last action in this thread was back in 2003...
Twdorris, any updates? I used to have a dsmlink on my last car. Currently I'm making do with the e-manage, but I'm convinced that nothing runs the car as smoothly as the factory ecu (with tweaks of course)
ooops I didn't see that it was in 03, Thanks man
Old May 17, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just picked up my 03 and I pimped them over in the DSMLink forums about this a few times. Here are the recent replies:

Will there be EVOLink support anytime soon?

This year, no. Next year? I hope so, but I would not hold my breath. Year after? Maybe. Something like that, which is an ENTIRELY new platform in terms of ECU coding and structure and such is a HUGE undertaking. Right now, Dave and I have our plates full just doing new DSM stuff.

Will the EVO solution use DSM ECU?

I wouldn't call any solution that uses anything but the EVO ECU a "product". So if we do release something, it'll have to use EVO ECU. BTW, I have a 2G ECU running in the EVO as well. But I've not been as happy with the part throttle/low airflow ignition advance curves as others seem to be. Maybe something funny with my car or maybe I'm the only one running part throttle with low airflow. Thomas Dorris

Since I'm planning on keeping my 96 GSX with DSMLink, it would be great to get another solution going that was the same setup on my 05 Evo. You guys may be bogged down with the DSM stuff now but I know the demand and loyalty would be there if you could make an Evo setup by next spring a reality. If you got a ton of people to commit in advance in some way, perhaps it would be worth your while to farm out some of the work to make it happen sooner without going insane. People using the 95 ECU in a car 10 years newer makes me semi nervous but since the engine is basically the same until Mivec comes around I guess it's one way to do it.

What kind of side effects are you guys seeing using the DSM ECU?

My part throttle driveability has deteriorated quite a bit in the last month or so as the temperatures have warmed up. I am getting alot more part throttle stumbling and bucking so I've been messing with the coasting FC and simulated idle switch. Tom, what issues are you seeing again? Any yes, I try to keep my foot planted as much as possible.

My issue is some stumbling, but primarily just a loss of power before boost fully builds. I compared the airflow curves while running each ECU (EVO8 versus DSM) and confirmed that airflow was building just as fast with either ECU. So it's not a boost control issue or anything like that. It must be an A/F ratio and/or ignition timing difference that I just haven't had time to look into yet.

I ended up yanking the DSM ECU back out until I had some time to look at it again. It may be better to just slap the EVO8 curves in there straight up rather than trying to "scale" them down. I think that's causing my current issues. Should be easy enough to test, I just need to sit down and do it.

What are you missing if you do use the DSM ecu?

Alot less restriction when it comes to emissions if that even matters to you. I'll know tomorrow whether my 2g ECU in an EVO passes here in MA. Otherwise no drawbacks that I can see. The car idles better than my talon ever did with 280s and driveability is top notch. Keep the ECU toss it in the EVO Put down 376 whp pump and 422 on race FWIW.

Quick Reply: DSMLink and other ECU development...