Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock intercooler sufficient for 50 trim kit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Now lower your boost to 22 psi and see what happens.

BTW there is a hell of a lot more air flow going across that FMIC in "real life" than a pansy **** little fan can toss at it on a dyno.

In this scenario..... a 50 trim at 22psi..... the stock FMIC will be fine for drag racing.
Ok guys, I gave an earlier example of a turbo kit with an aftermarket fmic and a turbo kit with a better fmic...

now here is an example w/ a stock turbo and upgraded intercooler.
I dynoed 280whp and 293wtq w/stock manifold and intercooler at 22 psi
I then dynoed 312whp and 319wtq w/a buschur fmic and borla header, same boost pressure...thats up about 30whp and 30wtq now even if you attribute 1/2 to each mod that's still 15whp just by swapping the intercooler.
Now imagine the difference with a turbo kit...huge...at least double with a higher psi!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On the locally available 89-91 octane, raunchy pisstane w/o additives, I'll sometimes push 24-25# of boost, w/o knock, in 90*F. ambient temps. through my Nissei IC. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable attempting that with the stock intercooler. Given crappy, 91 octane gas and elevated(over 90*F.) ambient air temps, I feel safer at boost levels above 22#, with an upgraded IC, but to each his own.

This is with a JDM RS TiAl turbo with a fully ported 10.5 hotside, SSAC O2, off the shelf, non-SMART XEDE v. 390 91 octane map(-0.2* timing above 5000 RPM), Tomei thermo killer, rerouted throttle body coolant lines, BPR 8ES @.026 and Nissei FMIC, MBC @ 24#, on a 92*F. day.

I like my FMIC upgrade and feel that the $720 purchase price was money well spent. Knowing that it is effectively lowering charge air temps at elevated boost levels on crappy pump gas, in the sweltering tropical climate gives me peace of mind. Like I said...I wouldn't try to duplicate this with a stock intercooler, but to each his own.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 17, 2006 at 06:04 AM. Reason: regretful omissions
Old Nov 17, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

without going too far into this, aftermarket intercoolers are available in various sizes and styles. their purpose is to cool the air flowing through them while causing a minimum of pressure drop.
at 400whp, you're flowing a considerable amount (lbs/min) more air through the intercooler and thus are asking the intercooler to transfer a lot more heat energy from the intake air.
the stock ic can probably do this, but the flow rate will probably mean that it does cause a greater pressure drop than an aftermarket one with larger channels for example.
this doesn't mean that you will loose boost pressure but rather that the load on the turbo will be greater (to obatin the same boost pressure) which means the turbo won't work so efficiently.
it is by no means impossible to make 400whp or perhaps more with the stock ic because there's really no limit to what other mods you have so it's not as if it's an absolute must. however, imo, it is a more efficient way of making that power. I mean, it's probably possible to make that sort of power with the stock exhaust but whole bunch of other mods.

a rather good point to remember is that boost and charge temp are kindda interchangable (to a certain extent). what you're looking for is the mass of air that goes into the engine.

whether or not their cost justify the benefits, I'd leave that to the buyer. imo, I think they are but that's just me.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 03redtype-s
hey guys will the stock intercooler work fine with a 50 trim kit. I think i read somewhere where it would support to almost 400 hp. That is my goal so i would think that would be fine. If this info is incorrect just let me know
Maybe we should go back to the original question. Since everyone is so bent on showing their aftermarket intercooler is so much better than the stocker. THATS NOT WHAT THE THREAD IS ABOUT.

The answer to the question is yes, the stock intercooler will work fine with a 50 trim kit making 400whp.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

The answer to the question is yes, the stock intercooler will work fine with a 50 trim kit making 400whp.
+1000000000
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe we should go back to the original question. Since everyone is so bent on showing their aftermarket intercooler is so much better than the stocker. THATS NOT WHAT THE THREAD IS ABOUT.

work...yes, work fine...no! just like driving on bald tires, if you hit water...game over. One day you will try to push 400 hp with the air temp just a little too high and knock, knock, knock...boom.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 08:17 AM

Matt, I would HIGHLY suggest upgrading your FMIC. PM me if you need some suggestions. Have fun with the kit, it should be there today
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah the stock intercooler is definitely good enough for a reliable 400 whp. I think alot of people are in denial beause they have been swindled by the vendors into buying a aftermarket FMIC.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

I have seen a stock intercooler on a dsm lay down 380whp/380tq at 19psi on a 57 trim turbo. later that week it was tuned on the street at 29psi and was absolutely flying for the setup. Had to be making 450whp+. What you guys are not putting into the equation is the stock turbo at 29psi blows well over 400 degree air out of the turbo. A 50trim at 25psi blows about 325 degree air. The intercooler does not have to work as hard at removing heat. I dont have dyno proof but I bet anybody lunch it would be no problem laying down 450whp with a 50trim and stock intercooler.
well we didnt say it wouldnt work but i bet if you put a different intercooler on that setup it would have made "some" difference
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

the difference will not be enough to justify the price paid, but if money is not a problem.. then go for it! beside it adds blinking factor to yr ride.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Gsixty3
the difference will not be enough to justify the price paid, but if money is not a problem.. then go for it! beside it adds blinking factor to yr ride.

What FMIC do you have? (Just looking at your sig...impressive)
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
What FMIC do you have? (Just looking at your sig...impressive)
Nisei Comp...

i had this FMIC with my stock turbo running 23psi (on the hotside of the FMIC is warm to touch).

after i upgrade to the 50Trim, (the hotside of the FMIC is much cooler than the stock turbo)

50Trim produce much lower temp than the stock turbo at the same psi level.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8yurAMG
well we didnt say it wouldnt work but i bet if you put a different intercooler on that setup it would have made "some" difference
Aftermarket IC's are like 400-700 bucks a piece. Don't you think a "upgrade" of this price should make a substantial and known increase in power? The bottom line is, if you plan on running the stock turbo or one of similar flow characteristics (i.e. 50 trim, 20G, etc.) an aftermarket fmic is completely 100% unecessary. However if you plan on upgrading to a larger turbo in the future, it might be a wise investment.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Yeah the stock intercooler is definitely good enough for a reliable 400 whp. I think alot of people are in denial beause they have been swindled by the vendors into buying a aftermarket FMIC.
im not in denial...i know that buying a aftermarket intercooler isnt helping me...but yeah it looks alot better than the ugly stock one
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you upgrading for purely a cosmetic upgrade, then I guess the purchase can be justified...personally I think the stock fmic is cute! To each their own...rather spend the money on Cams, Meth kit, race gas, suspension, head work, clutch, etc.

Quick Reply: stock intercooler sufficient for 50 trim kit