Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car hops in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006 | 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
man you always answer questions as if you know what your talking about. No motor mounts when taking off a tranny? Are you ****ing serious? ???? The tranny has 2 mounts. My twin disc Tilton does not make my car hop so you are wrong.
thats right. the forward and the rear mounts on the tranny need to come off.
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 03:43 PM
Fomer Vendor

Yeah, I don't think its normal at all. It feels like something is loose and the motor is rocking around. I need to check my mounts, I already have the powerflex front mount and I am using the exedy twin.

And I can ride through it in first (like make it not happen), but its really hard to make it not happen in reverse, so Im thinking rear mount.
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spudlus
Are we talking about actual wheel hop or are we referring to the feeling you get when your flywheel needs to be resurfaced or changed?
It is not wheel hop. It feels like a warped flywheel/pressure plate
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

man you always answer questions as if you know what your talking about. No motor mounts when taking off a tranny? Are you ****ing serious? ???? The tranny has 2 mounts. My twin disc Tilton does not make my car hop so you are wrong.
You said motor mount not tranny mount. Don't be a tard spasm.
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
You said motor mount not tranny mount. Don't be a tard spasm.
they are all called motor mounts... but if you want to use your logic then car really only has 1 real motor mount. The rest of the mounts are attached to tranny, funny because you said motor mounts before... Like i said before you usually have no clue what your talking about.
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

they are all called motor mounts... but if you want to use your logic then car really only has 1 real motor mount. The rest of the mounts are attached to tranny, funny because you said motor mounts before... Like i said before you usually have no clue what your talking about.
Yep you are right I have no idea what I'm talking about! BTW there are 3 motor mounts on the evo (three that connect directly to the block) and two tranny mounts.
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Yep you are right I have no idea what I'm talking about! BTW there are 3 motor mounts on the evo (three that connect directly to the block) and two tranny mounts.
WRONG

only 1 mount attaches the block and there only a total of 4 mounts
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

same problem after my exedy install. its normal, mine went away after breakin tho...
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

If you give it a little gas when leaving a stop it should be fine, That only happens to me in first if I let the RPM's drop below idle by accident, check mounts also, just in case.
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 07:21 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Happen on mine 05 too. Just give more gas. I checked and everything seem ok and I'm on stock clutch as well. Just annoying when I tried to take it easy.
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

no offence sonic...but have you ever pulled the engine out of the car?
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Does it happen in reverse too, but worst?

Do you smell clutch just from pulling up a curve? Could be pedal adj too
Old Nov 17, 2006 | 10:56 PM
Fomer Vendor

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Does it happen in reverse too, but worst?

Do you smell clutch just from pulling up a curve? Could be pedal adj too
(My situation) Yes in reverse too. No clutch smell, also kinda thinking adjustment. I never adjusted mine after the new clutch.
Old Nov 18, 2006 | 01:15 PM

WELL i went to long beach mitsubishi dealership, and was treated great! i went straight to parts to order my seals, and the service employee checked out my car free of charge

turns out, everytime you add a aftermarket clutch, you have to replace the flywheel. I had my flywheel resurfaced, and that, thats the reason why it shakes. he also noted i had a ripped axel boot.

So, i will be purchasing a new oem clutch and flywheel. Thanks for the support guys..

To long beach mitsubishi!

Last edited by joon; Nov 18, 2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2006 | 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I am retarded? I have never removed the engine from the Evo, but I have examined the mounts, and they look exactly the same as a DSM. The shop manual also shows three engine mount locations that attach to the block. Here is what the shop manual says:

Looks like 3 engine mounts to me? The 4th "engine mount" is referred to as a transaxle mount in the Mitsubishi manual.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 20, 2006 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Car hops in 1st gear