Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2003 | 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Evo Oil Filter

Does anyone know how standard the Evo oil filter is? For instance if I wanted to take it into a standard 10 minute lube place will I have to bring in my own filter or will they stock the part? I wonder if the 4G63 has used the same filter since the eclipse days...
Old May 16, 2003 | 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

DO NOT TAKE IT TO A QUICK LUBE JOINT!!! You MUST fill up with TRUE synthetic oil....they don't have that....and the filters they put on are USUALLY generic ones. If your going to do it....either do it yourself with genuine parts or get a Fram Filter and Mobile 1 Synthetic oil. Don't trust those "kids" that work there to know how to truly take care of your EVO. You have an awesome ride...and your going to let some "kid" take care of it for you??? Do it yourself man!!! If you let a Quick Lube Joint play with your car....you should be

Sorry man...but think about it!!!
Old May 16, 2003 | 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

They have Mobil 1. It's not a quick lube, it's a mom and pop shop that I trust. Relax, relax.
Old May 17, 2003 | 06:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Dragon41673
DO NOT TAKE IT TO A QUICK LUBE JOINT!!! You MUST fill up with TRUE synthetic oil....they don't have that....and the filters they put on are USUALLY generic ones. If your going to do it....either do it yourself with genuine parts or get a Fram Filter and Mobile 1 Synthetic oil. Don't trust those "kids" that work there to know how to truly take care of your EVO. You have an awesome ride...and your going to let some "kid" take care of it for you??? Do it yourself man!!! If you let a Quick Lube Joint play with your car....you should be

Sorry man...but think about it!!!

...all that *****ing, and then a fram filter?
Old May 17, 2003 | 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

The tech at Maxwell told me that most Mitsu filters are the same thread and seal diameter. Barrett sold me a "Generic 4 cyl" filter, claiming that the MD356000 filter for the Evo/Outlander had been "obsoleted." The guy at Maxwell said Barrett didn't know what they were talking about and that MD356000 was the only filter listed for the Evo in the service manual. He pulled one off the shelf for me and we compared it to the one Barret sold me.

The generic one is smaller in diameter, but "taller." The MD356000 that comes on the car is shorter and squatter. It also has a metal bypass valve built into the bottom. I didn't see that in the other one. So as long as I can keep getting MD356000 filters, I'll be using those. But if you're in a pinch you can probably use a filter for an modern mitsu 4cyl, like the ones for the DSM or something.
Old May 17, 2003 | 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

FRAM filter...? you must be kidding me...?
Old May 19, 2003 | 08:18 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Re: Evo Oil Filter

Originally posted by nsnguyen
Does anyone know how standard the Evo oil filter is? For instance if I wanted to take it into a standard 10 minute lube place will I have to bring in my own filter or will they stock the part? I wonder if the 4G63 has used the same filter since the eclipse days...
Use the search function. This has been covered in detail.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=22826