Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FPEvoGreen First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex

show me a car that runs 23 psi on 91 octane... show me please. i'd love to see it. that's a car that's likely knocking.
On 93 octane at just 21 psi, even with mitsubishi issue maps, my car would still knock itself into retardation - I can't imagine if I poured 91 in there, anyhow, alcohol cured this disease.

As far as PD1's problem with torque, octane related or not, are there any WB logs for view?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:12 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the WB log from the last posted pull.

**EDIT** Image resized.

Last edited by Pd1; Nov 24, 2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec'd
Based on the information in this thread, it appears that the FPGreen
turbo is not to happy on California 91 pump gas.

At this point, I would find it hard to spend $1700 on this turbo.

this is incorrect... pd1 has been chasing a bit of an octane related problem ever since he came to california... he doesn't like 91 octane gas and it doesn't like his tune... that's not to say that this turbo sucks it just means he moved to los angeles from pennsylvania.

some nuances in his setup like the cam timing etc contribute to slow boost up. some toher ones may contribute to his lack of timing.
Your right that is incorrect. Evos in general ( even bone stock )are unhappy
with California 91 Octane... let alone throwing more air and fuel into the mix.

Lets see Pd1 mix a few gallons of 100 octane ( with Pd1's current setup )
and see what happens... let alone even tuning it for 93 octane equivelent.

Lets see Pd1 fill the tank with 100 octane ( with Pd1's current setup )
and see what happens... let alone even tuning it for 100 octane.

Lets tune and turn up the boost for 100 octane and see what happens.
( with Pd1's current setup )

I think the result will be rather obvious and/or astonishing ...

Here you go Trinidex ...
Some links about how octane effects automotive
four-cycle combustion engines...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
http://chemistry.about.com/library/w...abyb100401.htm
http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/bgbb/7/ecep/trans/b/b.htm
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041008.html
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...57&h=&t=221733
Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
^^^Maybe pd1 should run the car on 87 octane. That's Triny's favorite gas...He might even save a few bucs
Or maybe regapping the spark plugs will get rid of misfires.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Quote:
Based on the information in this thread, it appears that the FPGreen
turbo is not to happy on California 91 pump gas.

At this point, I would find it hard to spend $1700 on this turbo.

Your right that is incorrect. Evos in general ( even bone stock )are unhappy
with California 91 Octane... let alone throwing more air and fuel into the mix.

Lets see Pd1 mix a few gallons of 100 octane ( with Pd1's current setup )
and see what happens... let alone even tuning it for 93 octane equivelent.

Lets see Pd1 fill the tank with 100 octane ( with Pd1's current setup )
and see what happens... let alone even tuning it for 100 octane.

Lets tune and turn up the boost for 100 octane and see what happens.
( with Pd1's current setup )

I think the result will be rather obvious and/or astonishing ...

Here you go Trinidex ...
Some links about how octane effects automotive
four-cycle combustion engines...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
http://chemistry.about.com/library/w...abyb100401.htm
http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/bgbb/7/ecep/trans/b/b.htm
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041008.html
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...57&h=&t=221733
my point was not about running higher octane, i'm fully aware of octane and its implications.

my point is that you can't go comparing someone running 93 octane and someone running 91 octane. and you certainly can't compare someone running a boost creeping 23psi on 91 octane with someone running goodness who knows what boost on mixed 93 octane or 93 octane from the middle of the country.

you wanna know about tuning on 91... what's common knowledge in socal (maybe not to nj23487923) si that if you DETUNE your evo it makes more power. this involves not so much changing afr (while that's important to each individual's application) but changing timing and changing the ramp of the timing such that you get a HEALTHY number at the top so you're not PULLing timing EVERYWHERE due to your crappy octane gas.

and what WOULD happen if you dumped a lotta high octane in his car? well likely you'd BALANCE OUT THAT TOO-MUCH-TIMING with a slower burning fuel and he'd knock less, that and the fuel would burn when it's told to. see where this goes? it's not about RUNNING HIGHER OCTANE TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS... it's about tuning correctly ;]

notice i'm not a naysayer in this conversation... i'm a stupidity pointer outer.

gosh this thread is really too much. now i got you sayin' i'm sayin' stuff that i'm not and tryinna teach me stuff i know. how do you people think??? i really don't get it at all.

in the end the results aren't conclusive and seriously... it's just an fyi... pd1 has been changing his setup for a while, trying to find a combo he likes. he got the new secret sauce from forcedperformance and he's just puttin' up DATA for you people on the net. god knows why... maybe he should just keep it to himself and share with personal friends.

and it's astonishing what you people do with said data... the conclusions that are drawn... i'm done.

Last edited by trinydex; Nov 24, 2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Tightly gapping the plugs tend to eliminate blown sparks. I was desparate, I would have even tried changing the blinker fluid
I was actually talking about someone else nj1266.

Anyways , I would tend to beleive that your misfires issues were solved
by running higher octane.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

my point was not about running higher octane, i'm fully aware of octane and its implications.

my point is that you can't go comparing someone running 93 octane and someone running 91 octane. and you certainly can't compare someone running a boost creeping 23psi on 91 octane with someone running goodness who knows what boost on mixed 93 octane or 93 octane from the middle of the country.

you wanna know about tuning on 91... what's common knowledge in socal (maybe not to nj23487923) si that if you DETUNE your evo it makes more power. this involves not so much changing afr (while that's important to each individual's application) but changing timing and changing the ramp of the timing such that you get a HEALTHY number at the top so you're not PULLing timing EVERYWHERE due to your crappy octane gas.

and what WOULD happen if you dumped a lotta high octane in his car? well likely you'd BALANCE OUT THAT TOO-MUCH-TIMING with a slower burning fuel and he'd knock less, that and the fuel would burn when it's told to. see where this goes? it's not about RUNNING HIGHER OCTANE TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS... it's about tuning correctly ;]

notice i'm not a naysayer in this conversation... i'm a stupidity pointer outer.

gosh this thread is really too much. now i got you sayin' i'm sayin' stuff that i'm not and tryinna teach me stuff i know. how do you people think??? i really don't get it at all.

in the end the results aren't conclusive and seriously... it's just an fyi... pd1 has been changing his setup for a while, trying to find a combo he likes. he got the new secret sauce from forcedperformance and he's just puttin' up DATA for you people on the net. god knows why... maybe he should just keep it to himself and share with personal friends.

and it's astonishing what you people do with said data... the conclusions that are drawn... i'm done.
trinydex,

With all respect. I'm not trying to prove that I'm right... I'm trying
to prove what's right.

Neverless we will see how this turbo ultimately plays out.
At this point ... I am not sold... especially for 1700, not including the install kit.

With all that said, I would love it if this FPGreen turbo turned out to be
the magic bullet we are all looking for.

Pd1 ,
Again thankyou for being a stand-up guy and posting this thread for
the Evo community. I'm still willing to do a co-op sponsor for some dyno
tuning.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 01:39 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Here's some info with my gears set at +1/-1. Peak boost (before the creep) comes on at 3500rpm, compared to 3800rpm with -4/-1. Peak torque is reached sooner as well with effectively nothing given away up top. There were a couple of bumps on this road, so the graph isn't as smooth as the others.

Here's a graph with an overlay of the -4/-1 gear settings.

EvoScan log from this pull is also attached.
Attached Files

Last edited by Pd1; Nov 25, 2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you read your owners manual it tells you that the Evo should be run on 93 octane gas. But I guess you know better than those who made the damned car.

. . . .
DUDE JUST GIVE UP AND LEAVE.

The STOCK Evo, with a STOCK ECU, and STOCK tune is made to run best on 93 octane or better. DO YOU NOT REALIZE HE IS RETUNING HIS CAR!

When retuning the car you make it run best on whatever is the lowest octane you will regularly use. If you live in Siberia and can only get 80 octane, you tune the car for 80.

What do YOU care if HE wants to be able to pull up to any pump in Cali and fill 'er up without having to mix gas up on the spot. What do YOU care if HE makes a bit less power because of that choice??? He has already chosen a couple parts that arguably could be replaced with other parts to make a little more power, but obviously he has chosen the parts that best fit HIS OWN PERSONAL DESIRE for what his car will be. If someone wants to give up a few HP on their daily driver for more comfort or peace of mind, who are you to tell them they are wrong??

Maybe in Cali on 91 those numbers are good. I don't know because I don't pay attention to that West Coast stuff. I can tell you that if you put that turbo on my car it will make over 440WHP on a DynoJet. Stock block, stock head, stock intake mani, stock throttlebody. Quit busting PD1's ***** and let him enjoy the car that he has said FEELS FASTER TO HIM. That is what counts, anyway.

EVOlutionary
Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I placed my order this morning, but the turbos are not quite in stock. I was hoping to get it installed by Friday and have data by Saturday.
Quick update for the 2 or 3 people out there holding their breath for the airflow data. I was hoping to have the turbo by this week, so I could have some information by tonight. Looks like the turbo didn't ship until wednesday, so I won't see it until tuesday, and with my retarded work schedule I won't have anything until thursday the earliest, Friday more likely.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Neutral question:

If the stock turbo flow 44LBS and this turbo is rated at 47LBS ....nd 1LB = 11HP.... what are you really expecting to see in terms of return?

I am hoping Kevin gets the DSMLink logs up. I know he is completely **** about logging and tuning. (NOT TO SAY PD1 ISN'T) I will be nice to have another known good bolt on evo to compare PD1's log files to.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think you'll ever see 44 lbs out of the stock turbo repeatably. I typically max out at 41-42 lbs with the line off the WGA. I've seen 43 lbs once or twice in cold weather, but it's a very short peak at that number, it doesn't run at that number. I'd say 41 lbs is the realistic max the stock turbo will do. Same for the EVO3 16G. So 47 lbs would put you at a solid 50 whp advantage. And at our weight, that translates into roughly 5 tenths and 5 mph, in my experience. I had a feeling this turbo would do a couple more than 47 lbs, but it's been so long since I arrived at that estimate I can't recall the circumstances that lead me to it.

It's going to be a long agonizing week at work for me.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

FYI, I hit 41.50 lbs/min at 21 psi with the Evo 9 WR. Interesting to see what flow numbers you get with the LT.

Brian
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:11 PM

man that looks flippin sweet. hope you like it. im going to miss my evo.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Airflow data posted here. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: FPEvoGreen First Impressions