Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FPEvoGreen First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pd1
Yes, I do have Denso 660cc injectors.

After some additional tweaks on the tune, I'll post up another pull for analysis.
As a note for everyone. We're not likely going to see much if any additional power. The changes that are being made are more for smoothing transitioning cells.

It looks like we're reaching the limits of CA 91 octane and his given setup. At a later time we'll conduct some tests of different cam timing combos to observe, and illustrate their effects on spool and power production.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JustDSM
As a note for everyone. We're not likely going to see much if any additional power. The changes that are being made are more for smoothing transitioning cells.

It looks like we're reaching the limits of CA 91 octane and his given setup. At a later time we'll conduct some tests of different cam timing combos to observe, and illustrate their effects on spool and power production.
I find it puzzling that you go with a bigger turbo and use 91 octane gas. What is the point of that? There are cammed Evo 8s with TBE and stock turbo putting 330 whp on a dynojet on 91 octane. This seems to be the same number that this car is putting with 272 cams, a bigger turbo, TBE and MANY other mods on 91 octane.

This car should put more power than this. If I was trouble shooting this car I would do the following:

1. Ditch the intake and go back to the stock intake. You are nowhere near 400 whp which is supposed to be the number when you switch to an open intake.

2. Ditch the Works O2 housing and go back to the stock one. Port it and polish it if you want. The stock O2 housing is the best housing IMO.

3. Get 93 octane gas by mixing 100 and 91. The Evo is supposed to run on 93 octane. Running it on 91 octane with a stock turbo is bad enough. Running it on 91 octane with a bigger turbo is even worse.

4. Tune your car or have it tuned on a DYNO.

Last edited by nj1266; Nov 22, 2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
your number 3 makes no damn sense... you tuned the car.... it'll work on the octane you tuned. raising octane becuase the car was "made for it" that's.... about as smart as running 93 octane all the time cuz you want inconsistent octane numbers from mixing.

i'm also glad that dynos are what you drive on all the time and i'm glad you use a road dyno to boot.

i don't understand how you people think...

the fact is he said already that he feels better, feels faster and has a bit more top than the 9 turbo WHICH HE ALREADY HAD. i can care a lot less what your car does in comparison to his... that's two different cars... good job pointing out the difference... wanna tell us the difference in license plate numbers too?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna take some DSMlink HP logs on a downhill stretch with a 50 mph tailwind and smoke all you fools!!1!
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
I find it puzzling that you go with a bigger turbo and use 91 octane gas. What is the point of that? There are cammed Evo 8s with TBE and stock turbo putting 330 whp on a dynojet on 91 octane. This seems to be the same number that this car is putting with 272 cams, a bigger turbo, TBE and MANY other mods on 91 octane.

This car should put more power than this. If I was trouble shooting this car I would do the following:

1. Ditch the intake and go back to the stock intake. You are nowhere near 400 whp which is supposed to be the number when you switch to an open intake.

2. Ditch the Works O2 housing and go back to the stock one. Port it and polish it if you want. The stock O2 housing is the best housing IMO.

3. Get 93 octane gas by mixing 100 and 91. The Evo is supposed to run on 93 octane. Running it on 91 octane with a stock turbo is bad enough. Running it on 91 octane with a bigger turbo is even worse.

Do the exact opposite of whatever this guy tells you.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:49 PM

Don't worry guys...I think Pd1 knows how to think for himself. I don't think the above post is going to change his mind on the O2 housing, intake or gas used.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
your number 3 makes no damn sense... you tuned the car.... it'll work on the octane you tuned. raising octane becuase the car was "made for it" that's.... about as smart as running 93 octane all the time cuz you want inconsistent octane numbers from mixing.

i'm also glad that dynos are what you drive on all the time and i'm glad you use a road dyno to boot.

i don't understand how you people think...

the fact is he said already that he feels better, feels faster and has a bit more top than the 9 turbo WHICH HE ALREADY HAD. i can care a lot less what your car does in comparison to his... that's two different cars... good job pointing out the difference... wanna tell us the difference in license plate numbers too?
If you read your owners manual it tells you that the Evo should be run on 93 octane gas. But I guess you know better than those who made the damned car.

I know you do not like dynos. You made that clear on SoCal evo. Keep tuninng on the street and hopefully you will not get your car confiscated by the police like what happened to your pal Blaze

Yeah, the car posted better numbers over the IX turbo that he had, but that is nothing to brag about considering the the numbers with the 9 turbo were barely 300 hp. Something is wrong when a car with a 9 turbo, 272 cams, TBE and LICP, Works O2, and intake only puts down close to 300 hp. This is according to the 3rd gear pull he posted on the 9 turbo TUNED.

Do you honestly believe that these are healthy numbers?

Last edited by nj1266; Nov 23, 2006 at 06:32 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
Don't worry guys...I think Pd1 knows how to think for himself. I don't think the above post is going to change his mind on the O2 housing, intake or gas used.
yep, it is far better to **** good money after bad. I find you guys hillarious, you waste your money on all these expensive parts and yet you will not pay an additional $5 per tank of gas to get 93 octane gas
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:55 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Here's an updated tune log. Again, 3rd gear on a flat road. It may just be the cooler ambient temperature, but I'm hitting some higher load sites now. Yes, I finally changed my plug wires back to stock .

Special thanks to JustDSM for his insight on this tune.
Attached Files

Last edited by Pd1; Nov 23, 2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
Here's an updated tune log. Again, 3rd gear on a flat road. It may just be the cooler ambient temperature, but I'm hitting some higher load sites now. Yes, I finally changed my plug wires back to stock .

Special thanks to JustDSM for his insight on this tune.
Here are your two runs superimposed, the benchmark is the one tuned by Scott and this newer one. There is not much difference between the two. Scott's has a bot more up top.

Why is your car running so little timing up top? It is only @ 8* by 7k rpm and yet there are some knock counts. Any ideas on this?
Attached Thumbnails FPEvoGreen First Impressions-fp_turbo_2.gif  
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country

Come on, most everyone knows you can't compare different dynos, even of the same type. In fact, you really shouldn't compare the same dyno if the conditions are not the exact same. Your speculation as to what this car should or could make on this or that dyno is merely that, speculation.

Also, according to people who have actually done some testing, #2 is wrong. There is a long post about O2 housings and dyno testing them by a well known tuner. Unless or until you take the time to actually test the different options, I would suggest you keep your opinion to yourself as it is pretty much worthless.

Last edited by robertrinaustin; Nov 23, 2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

NJ, I was thinking the same thing on the timing, but wasn't sure if the 91 Octane had something to do with the timing values. You are from CA, what values do you usually run?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Come on, most everyone knows you can't compare different dynos, even of the same type. In fact, you really shouldn't compare the same dyno if the conditions are not the exact same. Your speculation as to what this car should or could make on this or that dyno is merely that, speculation.

Also, according to people who have actually done some testing, #2 is wrong. There is a long post about O2 housings and dyno testing them by a well known tuner. Unless or until you take the time to actually test the some of the different options, I would suggest you keep your opnion to yourself. It is pretty much worthless.
I find it hard to believe that both dataloglab and ECU+ dyno features are producing very close dyno numbers on this Evo by accident. Both of these program are very good programs and both of them say that this car is putting around 330 hp. The OP has posted three Evoscan runs so far and they have produced 340, 330, and 322 whp. I have kept the temp, humidity, weight, and pressure constant on all three inorder to avoid the influence of these variables.

Would you be happy if your car with a TBE, cams, O2 housing, intake and a bigger turbo produced only 330 hp? Most Evo 8s with cams, TBE, and a stock turbo are putting 320-330 hp.

A lot of people have experienced boost creep with the O2 housing. Some have not. The OP tells us that he has boost surge. Could it be the O2 housing? Maybe. Worth a try IMO.

Since you think I am wrong, then please tell us why this car is underperforming?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I find it hard to believe that both dataloglab and ECU+ dyno features are producing very close dyno numbers on this Evo by accident. Both of these program are very good programs and both of them say that this car is putting around 330 hp. The OP has posted three Evoscan runs so far and they have produced 340, 330, and 322 whp. I have kept the temp, humidity, weight, and pressure constant on all three inorder to avoid the influence of these variables.

Would you be happy if your car with a TBE, cams, O2 housing, intake and a bigger turbo produced only 330 hp? Most Evo 8s with cams, TBE, and a stock turbo are putting 320-330 hp.

A lot of people have experienced boost creep with the O2 housing. Some have not. The OP tells us that he has boost surge. Could it be the O2 housing? Maybe. Worth a try IMO.

Since you think I am wrong, then please tell us why this car is underperforming?
Your wrong about your opinion on O2 housings. Is this car underperforming? I don't know. It may or may not be, but your advise wasn't going to help much.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fixem2
NJ, I was thinking the same thing on the timing, but wasn't sure if the 91 Octane had something to do with the timing values. You are from CA, what values do you usually run?
This is what the timing profile on my car usually looks like.
Attached Thumbnails FPEvoGreen First Impressions-timing_4runs.png  

Quick Reply: FPEvoGreen First Impressions