Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FPEvoGreen First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Your wrong about your opinion on O2 housings. Is this car underperforming? I don't know. It may or may not be, but your advise wasn't going to help much.
How can you say with a straight face that this car is not underperforming!!!! So you believe that a car with a larger than stock trubo, cams, TBE, O2 housing, & cam gears should put 330 whp? WOW.

Please do a search under boost creep and O2 housing and read the threads.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That timing table is weaksauce compared to what I've worked with... but I've never dealt with 91octane.

err nm on the graphs.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
That timing table is weaksauce compared to what I've worked with... but I've never dealt with 91octane.

err nm on the graphs.
You are right, the timing is tame, but I am not a big fan of aggressive timing. But even with this timing the car still puts the power shown in the graphs above. I am very happy with the power on my car considering the minimum mods.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 01:04 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Here's a log/graph with more aggressive timing. It looks like that brought me back up to where I was before.

If I can (and want to) solve the boost creep issue, that should bring up the torque and make things a little more consistent. I'm kind of enjoying the dual-stage turbo at the moment, though .

Attached Files
Old Nov 23, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
Here's a log/graph with more aggressive timing. It looks like that brought me back up to where I was before.

If I can (and want to) solve the boost creep issue, that should bring up the torque and make things a little more consistent. I'm kind of enjoying the dual-stage turbo at the moment, though .
I got the same exact hp numbers you got with DLL. The tq numbers were 10 lower, however. DLL has been weak when it comes to tq numbers.

Try advancing the timing a bit more in the top end and see what you get. I would go up 1 degree from 6000 rpm on. To reduce the knock counts make the mixture a bit richer in the same area.

Another thing to check for is phantom knock. Make sure that your dp is not hitting the lower tie bars. It is alos said that cars with cams tend to be noisier than cars w/o and the knock sensor picks up the noise as knock. The ECU in turn pulls timing thinking it is knock.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 03:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
FWIW, my boost curved looked like yours with a WR turbo using the FP high pressure actuator after I added a tubular O2, no matter how I set the preload, but once I went back to an OEM actuator my boost held normally again. If you are getting that sort of boost creep at double digit speeds, you'll probably have a difficult time keeping the boost in line on pump gas over 100 mph in 4th.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WOT
let's go for another fun-run & I can see how much better that turbo is than the 9.
Or a stock VIII turbo blowing on methanol vapor

Remember to post your racegas logs when you do so,

Happy Thanksgiving

PD1:

What does your fuel map look like? HKS rs intake screws up the flow of air across the wire, needs a lot of fuel from 100 - 160% load in the low to midrange RPM to compensate.

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Nov 23, 2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
If you read your owners manual it tells you that the Evo should be run on 93 octane gas. But I guess you know better than those who made the damned car.

It's all about the tune. Scot Gray tunes his car for 87 octane because he doesn't want to spend the money for 91
Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

This is what the timing profile on my car usually looks like.
I wish I knew how to read those things..was never good at math!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
It's all about the tune. Scot Gray tunes his car for 87 octane because he doesn't want to spend the money for 91
I have logged two Evo 8s so far and in both cases there were spikes in the AFR indicating a misfire. The first sample came from my own car. It happened when the car was stock and it happened after the car was tuned. I posted about it here and on Socalevo. It drove me crazy. I tried changing plugs from stock to copper and from hot to one step cold. It did not work. Then I tried tightening the plug gap to 0.022. That did not work either. Then I tried an ignition booster and that failed to solve the problem.

Finally, I went out on a limb and started mixing gas to run 93-94 octane. One gas tank later and ALL the spikes in the AFR were gone.

The second sample belonged to a friend of mine. His was a stocak Evo with a TBE and intake and no tune running on 91 octane gas. I logged the SAME type of spikes in the AFR that I got on my car. I told him to start mixing gas if he wants to get rid of this misfire.

There is a thrid Evo 8 that I will log soon and if the same happens then that pretty much tells me that CA 91 pistane gas is a big problem for the EVO.

I really find it ironic that people buy a 32k car and they then skimp out on the gas to save a few bucks. If you wanted to use 87 octane, then you should have not bought an EVO.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I really find it ironic that people buy a 32k car and they then skimp out on the gas to save a few bucks. If you wanted to use 87 octane, then you should have not bought an EVO.
I find it really funny you dont know who Scott Gray is, but thats me. Remember not everyone who bought an Evo never owned Mitsubishi's before the EVO. Some people grew up on 1G's and well some habits are hard to break. There are also people that "skimp" on injectors but still run 10's on stock injectors, and I am not talking about EVO 510/560's.

To the topic for a second though--

Those with the EVOgreen in this thread-

Did you bump timing right before spool up to help build cylinder pressure to lessen lag? I am thinking that there is alot left in the "lag" dept to be tried.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I find it really funny you dont know who Scott Gray is, but thats me. Remember not everyone who bought an Evo never owned Mitsubishi's before the EVO. Some people grew up on 1G's and well some habits are hard to break. There are also people that "skimp" on injectors but still run 10's on stock injectors, and I am not talking about EVO 510/560's.

To the topic for a second though--

Those with the EVOgreen in this thread-

Did you bump timing right before spool up to help build cylinder pressure to lessen lag? I am thinking that there is alot left in the "lag" dept to be tried.
While I can't say I have one, I have helped Pd1 make some corrections to his map to smooth it some. I have tried slightly more aggressive timing during spool up but the car didn't respond well with it. His cam gear settings of -4/-1 are not helping spool in the slightest, and it's already pretty close to the knock threshold during the initial onset of boost.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Well that is good to know. Your handle on Socalevo is Blackgsx, IIRC. John Bradely was far different from Scot Gray or Blackgsx I hope you do not take what I said the wrong way, but after the experience I went through with 91 octane gas, I really do not recommend using it in the Evo.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JustDSM
While I can't say I have one, I have helped Pd1 make some corrections to his map to smooth it some. I have tried slightly more aggressive timing during spool up but the car didn't respond well with it. His cam gear settings of -4/-1 are not helping spool in the slightest, and it's already pretty close to the knock threshold during the initial onset of boost.
From his logs I also noticed that his car is at 1-3 knock counts even though his timing is pretty tame. I have not seen this such tame timing and the onset of knock. Very wierd.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
NJ1266-Sorry you misinterpreted what I said. I thought it was funny you didnt seem to know who Scott Gray was...I am not scott gray.

Anyway, so the car didnt respond well to aggressive timing before spool? Interesting, you'll forgive me if I havent read all 11 pages, but what are your pre-spool AFR's like?

Quick Reply: FPEvoGreen First Impressions