Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FPEvoGreen First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on the information in this thread, it appears that the FPGreen
turbo is not to happy on California 91 pump gas.

At this point, I would find it hard to spend $1700 on this turbo.

There is still more testing to be done with higher octane, a higher octane tune and more boost.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
This is what the timing profile on my car usually looks like.
Is that with the xede?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you read your owners manual it tells you that the Evo should be run on 93 octane gas. But I guess you know better than those who made the damned car.

I know you do not like dynos. You made that clear on SoCal evo. Keep tuninng on the street and hopefully you will not get your car confiscated by the police like what happened to your pal Blaze

Yeah, the car posted better numbers over the IX turbo that he had, but that is nothing to brag about considering the the numbers with the 9 turbo were barely 300 hp. Something is wrong when a car with a 9 turbo, 272 cams, TBE and LICP, Works O2, and intake only puts down close to 300 hp. This is according to the 3rd gear pull he posted on the 9 turbo TUNED.

Do you honestly believe that these are healthy numbers?
still does not account for your false logic.... if you wanna follow the owners manaul... take that exhaust off and stop flashing hte ecu cuz the people that made the car know best.

getting your car confiscated has nothing to do with ACCURACY. are you a policitician? you argue like one... diverting and avoiding FACTS.

even if there is something wrong with the car... it's hte SAME **** THAT IS WRONG FROM RUN TO RUN.. i'll trust that over your OH LOOK I GOT NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CAR AND IT MAKES BETTER POWER SO IM GONNA MAKE A JUDEGEMENT ABOUT SOMETHING NOT ON MY MOTHER****ERING CAR

once again... i don't understand how people like you think...

I have logged two Evo 8s so far and in both cases there were spikes in the AFR indicating a misfire. The first sample came from my own car. It happened when the car was stock and it happened after the car was tuned. I posted about it here and on Socalevo. It drove me crazy. I tried changing plugs from stock to copper and from hot to one step cold. It did not work. Then I tried tightening the plug gap to 0.022. That did not work either. Then I tried an ignition booster and that failed to solve the problem.

Finally, I went out on a limb and started mixing gas to run 93-94 octane. One gas tank later and ALL the spikes in the AFR were gone.

The second sample belonged to a friend of mine. His was a stocak Evo with a TBE and intake and no tune running on 91 octane gas. I logged the SAME type of spikes in the AFR that I got on my car. I told him to start mixing gas if he wants to get rid of this misfire.

There is a thrid Evo 8 that I will log soon and if the same happens then that pretty much tells me that CA 91 pistane gas is a big problem for the EVO.

I really find it ironic that people buy a 32k car and they then skimp out on the gas to save a few bucks. If you wanted to use 87 octane, then you should have not bought an EVO.
sigh... you always say the same **** about 32k cars and this nad that... then you bag on rich folk like kent jordan who can afford to spank their heavily modded evo around a track obliterating competition for hte purpose of development. which side of the bloody fence are you on??? maybe we should all just stay within the confines of the sticker price. then we can all wish we were porsche owners too... i love their culture on renntech let's all dive right in.

seriously dude... scot tunes for 87 octane cuz he can. nuff said.

as for pd1's numbers... they're low cuz hey... he's boosting 23 psi. you ever think of that master tunerface?

Last edited by trinydex; Nov 24, 2006 at 04:51 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=21769.0

here's the great thread

so this guy starts mixing high octane fuel... and then starts touting that his 05 makes more power on higher octane fuel than pd1's car. credible? logical? comparable? OH HAIL YEAH... intranet me baby.

Last edited by trinydex; Nov 24, 2006 at 05:10 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spec'd
Based on the information in this thread, it appears that the FPGreen
turbo is not to happy on California 91 pump gas.

At this point, I would find it hard to spend $1700 on this turbo.

There is still more testing to be done with higher octane, a higher octane tune and more boost.
this is incorrect... pd1 has been chasing a bit of an octane related problem ever since he came to california... he doesn't like 91 octane gas and it doesn't like his tune... that's not to say that this turbo sucks it just means he moved to los angeles from pennsylvania.

some nuances in his setup like the cam timing etc contribute to slow boost up. some toher ones may contribute to his lack of timing.

Last edited by trinydex; Nov 24, 2006 at 05:08 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you bump timing right before spool up to help build cylinder pressure to lessen lag? I am thinking that there is alot left in the "lag" dept to be tried.
[/QUOTE]
Why would advancing low rpm igntion timing improve turbo spoolup?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
still does not account for your false logic.... if you wanna follow the owners manaul... take that exhaust off and stop flashing hte ecu cuz the people that made the car know best.
The FACT is the Evo is supposed to run on 93 octane. It is a high boost turbo car that loves high quality octane gas. The reason Mitsu tuned it the way they did has to do with warranty reasons more than anything else. I explained why I use 93 octane and why I recommend all evo owners to use it as well.
getting your car confiscated has nothing to do with ACCURACY. are you a policitician? you argue like one... diverting and avoiding FACTS.
The point of the Blaze tidbit was to show you why dynoes are needed. They are needed so people can tune in a safe environment, NOT ON THE STREET.
even if there is something wrong with the car... it's hte SAME **** THAT IS WRONG FROM RUN TO RUN.. i'll trust that over your OH LOOK I GOT NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CAR AND IT MAKES BETTER POWER SO IM GONNA MAKE A JUDEGEMENT ABOUT SOMETHING NOT ON MY MOTHER****ERING CAR
The car is underperforming. There is no way in hell that a car with ALL these mods only puts 330-340 hp. The car is at 8-13* of timing from 6k rpm to redline and it is on the edge of knock. Most cars like it run far more timing than that. The car did the same thing with the IX turbo and the FPGreen turbo.
as for pd1's numbers... they're low cuz hey... he's boosting 23 psi. you ever think of that master tunerface?
The numbers were also low on the same car with the turbo IX. There are many cars boosting to 23 psi on 91 octane making more power with less mods. Thier dynos are posted all over the place. In general, an Evo 8 with cams, TBE, stock 10.5 turbo and a tune should put around 320-330 hp.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

this is incorrect... pd1 has been chasing a bit of an octane related problem ever since he came to california... he doesn't like 91 octane gas and it doesn't like his tune... that's not to say that this turbo sucks it just means he moved to los angeles from pennsylvania.

some nuances in his setup like the cam timing etc contribute to slow boost up. some toher ones may contribute to his lack of timing.
WOW, talk about contradicting yourself I thought the Evo cna be tuned to run on 91 octane with no problems. It seems that at least pd1's car is having a problem with our 91 pistane gas.

Maybe pd1 should use mix 91 and 100 octane to get 93 octane to solve part of the car's problem
Old Nov 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=21769.0

here's the great thread

so this guy starts mixing high octane fuel... and then starts touting that his 05 makes more power on higher octane fuel than pd1's car. credible? logical? comparable? OH HAIL YEAH... intranet me baby.
You are wrong. My car put down 295 whp on Tuning Tech's dyno on 91 octane gas, TBE, and filter. That is as good as pd1's car did with the 9 turbo and ALL his other mods. Here is the dyno plot.
Attached Thumbnails FPEvoGreen First Impressions-dyno_tt_91.gif  

Last edited by nj1266; Nov 24, 2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 08:09 AM

this setup is siiick!
Old Nov 24, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoNine
this setup is siiick!
Which one? The OP's set up? IMHO, it was on the Standard IX turbo. Not on this 20G Green...The jury is still out on that turbo. I hope more members post when they get them installed...As of right now, it just doesn't look like it's standing up to the "hype". But then again, his combination of parts is bad(That's the real problem)
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
You are wrong. My car put down 295 whp on Tuning Tech's dyno on 91 octane gas, TBE, and filter. That is as good as pd1's car did with the 9 turbo and ALL his other mods. Here is the dyno plot.
If Pd1's car put down that number on TT's dyno with a 9 turbo and cams, something is definitely wrong. On TT's dyno in 95+ degree heat I put down 306/306 with the mods "not" in my sig. That's without cams. Unless he got a Monday/Friday car.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a personal account on ones turbo installation for general reading pleasure, thanks for the write up, not a study.

To be convincing with respect to turbos performance would require data logs and dyno pulls accomplished before (e.g. OEM turbo, 3071) and after (FPgreen) under no less than the following conditions:
1) Same car, tire pressure, fuel, dyno, degree and style of tune, MAF condition, and modifications.
Data logs in addition to boost pressure, assuming same ducting and crap are used, would compare the flow (hz vs psi) and efficiency for the particular setup.

We need an EvoM R/D department of people who perform performance part studies by a prescribed protocol. I'll donate $1

This is what the timing profile on my car usually looks like.

on what octane -just kidding

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Nov 24, 2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

WOW, talk about contradicting yourself I thought the Evo cna be tuned to run on 91 octane with no problems. It seems that at least pd1's car is having a problem with our 91 pistane gas.

Maybe pd1 should use mix 91 and 100 octane to get 93 octane to solve part of the car's problem
what? contradicting myself? my point was until recently he HASN'T gotten a tune that accounts for all of the 91 octane nuances we deal with daily here in california. if he had... then there wouldn't be a problem woudl there?

you guys don't know him... he's been changing his setup constantly to try to find something he LIKES. i think he's found something now...

the fact is you haven't said a damn thing that makes any sense. if the car is underperforming hte results are inconclusive... but that's not your point was it...

i don't care if dynos are needed... it doesn't say anything about accuracy does it... that was MY point.

also i beg to differ about the 340hp arguement... on 91 octane gas running real 91 octane timing wihtout doping your fuel... it's DAMN HARD to surpass 350. i think you're on evom too much and you get duped by these "national" numbers.

show me a car that runs 23 psi on 91 octane... show me please. i'd love to see it. that's a car that's likely knocking. pd1 doesn't like having a single smidge of knock on his logs... i know i sat in the car with him while he tuned.

in the end... it doesn't matter... i'm sure people can see through your illogical posts and if they can't i can't care less if they join your bandwagon.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
To be convincing with respect to turbos performance would require data logs and dyno pulls accomplished before (e.g. OEM turbo, 3071) and after (FPgreen) under no less than the following conditions:
1) Same car, tire pressure, fuel, dyno, degree and style of tune, MAF condition, and modifications.
Data logs in addition to boost pressure, assuming same ducting and crap are used, would compare the flow (hz vs psi) and efficiency for the particular setup.

That's just the thing. No one around here feels that is necessary. They are more then willing to flock to the vendor who says it made this on said vendor's car. No one ever questions anything or anybody when it comes to crap like this. I have never seen more mindless sheep with money to burn on unproven products.

What's best of all this **** is when you do question a vendor about how they dyno'd their product or how they tested it and disagree with their methods and/or the car they tested said product on, they say you don't know what you are talking about. Or that they aren't going to test it the way the majority of us want it tested because it is stupid to do it that way. Or even better they tell you to wait until someone else is stupid enough to buy said unproven product and test it on their car.<---- What the hell is that?

I have seen at least 2 major product releases in the past month turn out this way. It just goes to show me that these certain vendors aren't in touch with their customer base and have no desire to be. But their Fanboys are there to kiss their A$$es and praise them for absolutely nothing. End of Rant...Peace be with you.

Quick Reply: FPEvoGreen First Impressions