Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FPEvoGreen First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2006, 02:36 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FPEvoGreen First Impressions

Let me start by saying that these are preliminary impressions and not intended to be the "final word" on the FPGreen turbo. I installed the turbo last night and have only had part of today to play with the new toy (tuning is not yet perfect). Let me also add that I don't have before/after dyno graphs. It's just not worth $400 ($175x2+tax) to get the dyno data. If you'd like to see a dyno sheet of my car in its current state with the new turbo, I'll be happy to accept a PayPal transfer from 9 people in the amount of $20 each and go to a nearby dyno within the next few days.
------------------------
Vehicle: 2003 Evo VIII GSR
Relevant Mods:
FPGreen turbo (with ported exhaust housing and 17psi actuator)
Stock Exhaust Manifold (ported by FP and added at the time of the FPGreen install)
WORKS O2/3" DP
Resonated Test Pipe
3" ID AVO Turbo-back Exhaust
Blitz (Denso) 660cc Injectors
AMS FMIC
Nesei LICP
HKS EVC EZ II EBC
GM 3Bar MAP
AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge-type
Walbro 255
APS CAI
HKS RS Intake Pipe
IX BOV
Helix Hollow 272's
Unorthodox Racing cam gears (set to -4/-1)
HKS DLI-II
Magnecor Wires
ECU+, ECUFLash, EvoScan
------------------------

Visual Inspection

------------------------

Boost
Here's my boost curve (from the GM3Bar MAP sensor) while using the IX turbo with the 17psi upgraded actuator from FP (same model that's on my FPGreen).

Here's what the FPGreen boost curve looks like (EBC untouched). *My gauge is reading about 2.5psi higher than ECU+ interprets the signal, so don't take this graph's boost figures to be actual.*

It's important to note that the FPGreen turbo reaches 21psi at about 3800rpm, only 200rpm later than my IX turbo did. (Again, this is with my gears at -4/-1..with the gears at +1/-1, I reached 21psi at 3200rpm on the IX turbo) What's interesting is that after the FPGreen turbo reaches this initial boost peak/shelf, it creeps about 2psi and then tapers back to the 21psi amount. Some of this may be attributable to my EBC "learning" how to manage the boost levels on this new turbo, but I'm not certain.
------------------------

Pseudo Dyno Graphs
These were not done in the same gear, but the one from the IX is from the only good data log I took using ECU+. I was doing all my logging/tuning using DSMLink prior to this, so the HP/Torque graphs from DSMLink would probably be even less applicable for comparison.

IX in 2nd Gear

FPGreen in 3rd Gear

------------------------

Summary
So far, I'm pretty happy with this turbo. It certainly feels like I gained a bit up top without giving up much (if anything) down low. This turbo reminds me (power-wise, not lag-wise) of my 3076 kit that produced 350hp/330tq on straight 91 here in CA. It's nice to have that kind of top-end pull that still spools quickly. I think with some additional work on the tune and other tweaks, this will be a very nice street setup.

For those interested, I'll attach an EvoScan log from a 3rd gear pull I did tonight.

<newb_note>Yes. This is the same turbo as the Buschur 20G-LT. I just don't believe in naming turbos after resellers.</newb_note>
Attached Files

Last edited by Pd1; Nov 19, 2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I like the turbine wheel. I knew he would do an 11 blade design. Better flow without having to make it bigger and heavier.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Did you install it your self? If so how long did it take?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

nice, great write up, looking forward to a few more impressions before i commit.keep posting
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Nice thorough review. You sure didn't waste anytime getting that sucker bolted up. I was hoping you would have some DSMLink logs to share but thats ok. Feel like I'm one of the few still hanging onto it. But anyways glad you're happy with the Green so far. I'd imagine you'll be even more satisfied when you get that tuning dialed in. Seeing that your impressions are from one night only. Any plans to run anything other than 91oct? Plan on getting her to the strip?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:47 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by socalmr
when are you going tp get this tuned? who ported your exhaust mani?
and to be more exact, do you think this is little less than the 3076 or little more?
The tune is about 80% done, I'd say. FP ported the exhaust manifold and turbine housing. I'd rather not speculate too much on the *feel* of the power compared to my 3076 kit since they're so different, but it seems like peak power is about the same. It's important to note that my 3076 kit wasn't the best-performing kit on the market, so I'll stop short of saying that the FPGreen (in its current state of tune) would keep up with an AMS 3076 kit.

Originally Posted by Deepseadiver
Did you install it your self? If so how long did it take?
Yes. It took me 7hrs start to finish by myself. I know, I would have never made it as a flat-rate mechanic . I'm much too meticulous and don't pay any attention to the clock.

Originally Posted by HmanEVO
...I was hoping you would have some DSMLink logs to share but thats ok. Feel like I'm one of the few still hanging onto it...Any plans to run anything other than 91oct? Plan on getting her to the strip?
I also wish I had held onto the DSMLink for comparison's sake, but it looks like Mr. Jewer will be doing that back-to-back lb/min test for us soon. DSMLink will always have a special place in my heart -- it's just so good and so simple. If they made one with the Evo ECU, I'd certainly go back. I may go to the track at some point with some race gas and see what happens .
Old Nov 19, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
except dyno pulls are between 50and 75$ for 3 baseline pulls here. 175 is rediclous
Everything is expensive here.

It's only $20 per person.

This is exiting ! This FPGreen looks very promising !
Old Nov 19, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Problem is that you will not have a before and after dyno pull so it will be basically useless. If you guys send that money to me I will get the turbo and do a before and after dyno run with AFR readings.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbbwrx
Problem is that you will not have a before and after dyno pull so it will be basically useless. If you guys send that money to me I will get the turbo and do a before and after dyno run with AFR readings.
I'm all for it, if anyone else wants to participate in the contribution.

BTW I wanted to give Pd1 a big thankyou for posting this thread.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
His ECU+ dyno numbers are close to the numbers I got when I ran his Evoscan in my Dataloglab. I got 345 hp and 294 lb-ft torque.

From the log it seems that this turbo hits peak torque/load (and maybe boost) at around 5200 rpm. That is too laggy for me. Consider that the stock turbo hits peak tq/boost @ around 3700 rpm. That is 1500 rpm loss in spool up. It is great for drag racing, though.

Last edited by nj1266; Nov 19, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
From the log it seems that this turbo hits peak torque/load (and maybe boost) at around 5200 rpm. That is too laggy for me. Consider that the stock turbo hits peak tq/boost @ around 3700 rpm. That is 1500 rpm loss in spool up. It is great for drag racing, though.
Something seems wrong with 5200rpm. Especially at low boost.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 05:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266

Originally Posted by Pd1
It's important to note that the FPGreen turbo reaches 21psi at about 3800rpm, only 200rpm later than my IX turbo did. (Again, this is with my gears at -4/-1..with the gears at +1/-1, I reached 21psi at 3200rpm on the IX turbo) What's interesting is that after the FPGreen turbo reaches this initial boost peak/shelf, it creeps about 2psi and then tapers back to the 21psi amount. Some of this may be attributable to my EBC "learning" how to manage the boost levels on this new turbo, but I'm not certain.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:32 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spec'd
I'm all for it, if anyone else wants to participate in the contribution.

BTW I wanted to give Pd1 a big thank you for posting this thread.
You're welcome, Spec'd. I hope the community finds it useful.

Thanks for your support on the dyno session. 8 more people and I'll get you a graph with corresponding logs. I really don't think it would be "useless" to have just an 'after' log since my mods are fairly common and mild, providing a real-life example of what many could expect from installing this turbo.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Bryan,

Saying that it is so does not make it so. What the OP is saying does not match the data posted. Here is the dataloglag gif. You can see that max torque, load, and minimum timing happen at almost the same rpm, ie, 5200 rpm. That is laggy in my book.

Attached Thumbnails FPEvoGreen First Impressions-fp_turbo.gif  
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Why dyno the ecu+ is pretty accurate. its based on the ammount of time between x rpm and x rpm in x gear. and the weight of the car.

It offers a great comparison to the ix turbo as its purely time shaved from going from x rpm to x rpm in x gear.

You might as well save your 20$ and put it twards this turbo yourself because it is showing very rewardful.

Quick Reply: FPEvoGreen First Impressions