Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

turbo whistling and whining!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo whistling and whining!!

well... my car was whistling when i got it back from the shop and they made me sign a warranty paper saying nothing is covered since the repair used all aftermarket parts i supplied...

well..when i got the car back.. it was whistling so i suspected a boost leak...a very high pitch sound... i located numerous places thats leaking and fixed it all... 2 days ago when i still had the leak... another sound developed... it started out as high pitch whistle then a low throaty whin...

once i had the leak fixed...the whistle sound is gone now but the whining sound is still there... i can't figure out whats wrong with it... it just started 2 days ago... car is pulling hard and holding consistent boost but the turbo has a loud low tone whin everytime i hit full boost...only on WOT...

im running the Buschur Racing 20g9-5 ... i was told by some its normal sound of that turbo but i highly doubt it because it didn't have the sound when i first got it and it just started 2 days ago...
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

i think i have the same sound and i cant figure it out but only thing is that i still ahve the stock ix turbo in it
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

strange thing is ...it only does it in WOT... no idea... im also running their race wastegate actuator ...min boost is 22-23... im boosting 22psi
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Well, lets see, did it go to the shop with stock intake? If thats the case, judging from the fact that you are selling the stock intake box in your sig, this tells me you have an aftermarket one on, which means you will hear the turbo spool WAYYYYYYYYY louder under full boost conditions, ie WOT.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:19 PM
Account Disabled

yeah what has changed on the car from when it didnt make the noise to now.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:20 PM

^^^ Sounds like its just the new intake causing the turbo to sound louder, assuming you have an after market intake.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you might have your answer. Put your stock intake back on and see if that fix's your problem. Also did you get your car tuned for that new intake if not your playing with fire, get it tuned.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

no..its not the intake.. i had to intake for 2 years... its really old... only thing changed is the 20g-9-5... it just started making that noise all the sudden... a week after i had it... i thought it could be oil starvation or compressor wheel grinding on the compressor inlet... i took whole thing apart and everything looks just fine... im really lost on this one...
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

is it a whistling sound during boost?mine IX is the same way after installing a LICP.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whistling is fine, but the whine is a bit worrying. I had the dreaded whine when my turbo blew. Check that the compressor wheels rotate freely (I see you already checked that) and the shaft does not have too much play. Next impression could be one of the gaskets leaking. Did you change all the gaskets when changing the turbo? Its always wise to get new gaskets or use some sort of sealant.

Last edited by Chamama; Nov 21, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

i had the same thing, it was just the turbo outlet pipe was a little loose causinga boost leak and a loud "supercharger" sounding whine. Check that first.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

ya.. i checked that.. it was leaking so i put silicone gasket maker in... it doesn't whistle now.. it whins... im really lost...
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I have a similar problem got my car little over a week ago now im experiencing all these problems....its a 05 ssl with 27k miles on it...the second day i had it the SES light went on...checked it out today found out it was "02 sensor circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2". Ok-no big deal-Will take it back to mitsubishi and get it fixed. But then it seemed like today everything started to go wrong:

-Started experiencing a loud noise when boosting sounds like its coming from the front right side-sounds real nice-but i never heard it before or when i first got the car.
-second thing is the rotors-wheel is shaking when driving on the highway and brakes sqeak when slowly coming to a stop.
-new problem today i heard was a noise as i slowed down sounds like something wrong with the brakes, i have no clue to what it could be though.
-also notice idle shaking at start up and ticking from the left side of the engine bay-heard this was normal but it still pisses me off.
-on top of all this im getting annoying *** rattles from all over but today was a bad one coming from the top of the steering well.

WTF IS WRONG WITH MY CAR!!!!!????? I am not pleased with any of these things and i hate having little things like this that i dont know about that **** me off..HELP
Old Feb 5, 2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by J8dailo
well... my car was whistling when i got it back from the shop and they made me sign a warranty paper saying nothing is covered since the repair used all aftermarket parts i supplied...

well..when i got the car back.. it was whistling so i suspected a boost leak...a very high pitch sound... i located numerous places thats leaking and fixed it all... 2 days ago when i still had the leak... another sound developed... it started out as high pitch whistle then a low throaty whin...

once i had the leak fixed...the whistle sound is gone now but the whining sound is still there... i can't figure out whats wrong with it... it just started 2 days ago... car is pulling hard and holding consistent boost but the turbo has a loud low tone whin everytime i hit full boost...only on WOT...

im running the Buschur Racing 20g9-5 ... i was told by some its normal sound of that turbo but i highly doubt it because it didn't have the sound when i first got it and it just started 2 days ago...

Any conclusive results?

I have a similar issue and have reached the same dead end.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTypeS
I have a similar problem got my car little over a week ago now im experiencing all these problems....its a 05 ssl with 27k miles on it...the second day i had it the SES light went on...checked it out today found out it was "02 sensor circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2". Ok-no big deal-Will take it back to mitsubishi and get it fixed. But then it seemed like today everything started to go wrong:

-Started experiencing a loud noise when boosting sounds like its coming from the front right side-sounds real nice-but i never heard it before or when i first got the car.
-second thing is the rotors-wheel is shaking when driving on the highway and brakes sqeak when slowly coming to a stop.
-new problem today i heard was a noise as i slowed down sounds like something wrong with the brakes, i have no clue to what it could be though.
-also notice idle shaking at start up and ticking from the left side of the engine bay-heard this was normal but it still pisses me off.
-on top of all this im getting annoying *** rattles from all over but today was a bad one coming from the top of the steering well.

WTF IS WRONG WITH MY CAR!!!!!????? I am not pleased with any of these things and i hate having little things like this that i dont know about that **** me off..HELP
nobody here gives points for thread hijacking.

Quick Reply: turbo whistling and whining!!