Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Too much boost?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much boost?

When I first got my car in May I installed a Defi BF boost gauge and it would consistently hit about 18.5-19psi which seemed a little low, but it was blazing hot outside (even at night) so I assumed this was responsible for a slight decrease in peak pressure. Shortly after, I installed a catback and a works drop-in filter and noticed that my car would now consistently hit at least 19.5psi no matter what, sometimes occacsionally spiking to 20psi in 4th gear. Now that the temps here have dropped dramatically, I've noticed that my peak boost has been going even higher. I now consistently see 21psi sometimes even going as high as 22psi on really cold nights in 3rd and 4th gear. (this was before I installed the dp, tp, and o2 housing)

Last week I installed my dp, tp, and ssa o2 housing and now my boost will spike to 21-22psi and hold about 20psi until about 5500-6000rpms before tapering like normal. My friend and I have concluded that this is due to the o2 housing because his IX does the exact same thing and we have the same mods (tbe/filter/o2 housing).

My question: Is it safe to have my car running like this until I get tuned? I've been taking it pretty easy (no 5th gear pulls, not shifting above 6k, no high speed runs, etc.) but still boost a lot in my day to day driving. My car feels strong as hell and doesn't seem to be negatively effected from the mods, but I'm considering purchasing an MBC and turning the boost down just to be extra cautious until I get custom tuned in about 3 weeks. Some people have suggested that the Defi gauges tend to read a little high, as much as 1psi, so that may be the issue. Any suggestions or comments would help me out, thanks.

Last edited by RenoEvo; Nov 20, 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
It should be good... the only way to know for sure is to log it... do you have logging capabilities? If you got a laptop, go pay $25 and get Evoscan.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
It should be good... the only way to know for sure is to log it... do you have logging capabilities? If you got a laptop, go pay $25 and get Evoscan.

Ah, I didn't even think about good old evoscan! I dont have a laptop but I'm sure I a friend would lend me theirs. thanks
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Alex. Your best bet would be to just get the MBC until you get tuned. You should be fine though. Ive got all that except the O2 housing on my 03 and the IX's are supposed to run slightly higher boost. Also where are you going to get tuned? Ive been talking to speed element from GA and im probably going with them the summer i get out there (planning on taking a trip out to the bay area in July or so).
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoEvo
Ah, I didn't even think about good old evoscan! I dont have a laptop but I'm sure I a friend would lend me theirs. thanks
No problem man.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
Hey Alex. Your best bet would be to just get the MBC until you get tuned. You should be fine though. Ive got all that except the O2 housing on my 03 and the IX's are supposed to run slightly higher boost. Also where are you going to get tuned? Ive been talking to speed element from GA and im probably going with them the summer i get out there (planning on taking a trip out to the bay area in July or so).
What up man! I'm most likely going to get tuned at Speed Element instead of Vishnu since they're getting a new Dyno Dynamics. Not to mention its only $550 for a custom tune instead of $1000
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

What up man! I'm most likely going to get tuned at Speed Element instead of Vishnu since they're getting a new Dyno Dynamics. Not to mention its only $550 for a custom tune instead of $1000
Thats what im thinking... A tunes a tune! If i get 20 whp out of it ill be happy! P.S. Dont get the TurboXS MBC... I can get mine to run 19 psi steady and i can get it to hit 20 psi, but if it hits 20 it drop to 16psi pretty rapidly...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:21 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
Thats what im thinking... A tunes a tune! If i get 20 whp out of it ill be happy! P.S. Dont get the TurboXS MBC... I can get mine to run 19 psi steady and i can get it to hit 20 psi, but if it hits 20 it drop to 16psi pretty rapidly...
very wrong my friend, one bad tune will have you changing your mindset in a heartbeat, im not knocking on your choice of tuner, just the statement you made
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

WOW, Vishnu charges a 1000 dollars for a custom tune? That is absolutley insane.