Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost restrictor pill REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost restrictor pill REMOVAL

Guys,

Let me get this Straight, I PREVIOULSY Removed my Air Box and CUT the Tee to Soleniod line and Installed a Tee to my Air Bleeder Valve that I now use to Control (Bleed-Off) my boost, and it works perfect to Increase my boost. It now will go as high as 22-24 Lbs at 3300rpm (using 100 Octane fuel ALL THE TIME of course) EXCEPT that my ET remains at 13.09 @ 105 (otherwise stock IX) for the simple reason that as the RPM's increase, my dam boost DECREASES all the way back to 16-17LBS at 5500-7000...so therefore for Drag Racing my Bleed Valve is USELESS!!!!

NOW though, I've read that if I REMOVE this Restrictor Pill at the solenoid my boost will NO LONGER DECREASE as the RPM's go up and my ET will Improve!!!!!!???????

Is that Correct???
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read this.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=236225
Old Nov 23, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will still get some taper....there are several folks with IXs that are experimenting on different methods to reduce taper. Also, it really depends on which gear you are in -- when you are in a the taller gear, the ECU has more time to make adjustments to the boost solenoid / WGA.

In 3rd gear I can hit ~22/23 psi peak and taper to ~17/18 psi redline. I think by changing the pill hole size (smaller) and adjusting the WGA and boost correction tables you can hit a higher peak and minimize your taper. See the post in ECUFlash by Evo_Kid....
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by cij911
You will still get some taper....there are several folks with IXs that are experimenting on different methods to reduce taper. Also, it really depends on which gear you are in -- when you are in a the taller gear, the ECU has more time to make adjustments to the boost solenoid / WGA.

In 3rd gear I can hit ~22/23 psi peak and taper to ~17/18 psi redline. I think by changing the pill hole size (smaller) and adjusting the WGA and boost correction tables you can hit a higher peak and minimize your taper. See the post in ECUFlash by Evo_Kid....

Yes, but wouldn't simply REMOVING the pill altogether be the BEST method of Getting RID of the Taper??? I could give a CRAP about my boost at 3300rpm, because for Drag Racing the ONLY RPM that matters
is that all important 4800-7000rpm - THATS where I need the 20psi!!!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by ak47po
Yea, thanks, thats why I started THIS thread, because it STILL sems Unclear with the IX's if Removing the Restrictor REDUCES taper!!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
You can remove most of the taper by ecuflash.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jhero23
You can remove most of the taper by ecuflash.
Yes, but I'd rather NOT Spend $300 on that right now....SO...Will REMOVING the pill help REMOVE the Taper or NOT!!

Seems kile it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a CLEAR ANSWER on this!!!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NewEVO9
Yes, but I'd rather NOT Spend $300 on that right now....SO...Will REMOVING the pill help REMOVE the Taper or NOT!!

Seems kile it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a CLEAR ANSWER on this!!!
Dude -- ECUFLASH is free....Do some research or stop flaming folks that are trying to help you...

So per my initial guidance, remove the pill, get rid of your DIY valve, use the ECU to manage BCS and thus WGA....Or after you do some more research and have a better understanding how the ECU works, put in a new pill that you will need to make (or I can sell you one for $15 + shipping) and adjust your WG table....

Also, the best route for you would be to contact jestrtuning....John can get you a great tune, hp / tq curves, and boost curve....
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
You could have find the answer to your questions by using the search function.

Removing the pill by itself without any tuning has resulted in unwanted spike on a few IX, but as far as removing the taper no it will not help.

$300?? ecuflash is free you just need to buy the cable.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:07 AM

A friend of mine "alwaysinboost" HAS the cable and is VERY Experiecend with Evo's having a LOW 11 Sec VIII, and he TRIED to Download a Tune with the cable, but it WOULD NOT download, he E-mailed the Cable guy (Forget his name right now) SEVERAL times and got NO REPLY!!!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NewEVO9
Guys,

Let me get this Straight, I PREVIOULSY Removed my Air Box and CUT the Tee to Soleniod line and Installed a Tee to my Air Bleeder Valve that I now use to Control (Bleed-Off) my boost, and it works perfect to Increase my boost. It now will go as high as 22-24 Lbs at 3300rpm (using 100 Octane fuel ALL THE TIME of course) EXCEPT that my ET remains at 13.09 @ 105 (otherwise stock IX) for the simple reason that as the RPM's increase, my dam boost DECREASES all the way back to 16-17LBS at 5500-7000...so therefore for Drag Racing my Bleed Valve is USELESS!!!!

NOW though, I've read that if I REMOVE this Restrictor Pill at the solenoid my boost will NO LONGER DECREASE as the RPM's go up and my ET will Improve!!!!!!???????

Is that Correct???
OK, first of all did you do a boost leak check?
Why are you running 100 octane fuel on 23psi?
Why not just run new boost lines rather than the PITA to remove the pill in the stockers?
It is possible your low ET has a lot to do with your driving. What are your reaction times and 60' times and such?

I personally think you have a leak though if you are tapering off to 16psi with a boost controller/bleeder valve. I would be interested to see how you have your boost controller hooked up and if you capped off your factory boost solenoid too.

Last edited by TURBevO8; Nov 23, 2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:28 AM

i LEFT all the Factory Boost lines in place and SIMPLY Teed into the line going to the soliniod, under the airbox, and ran a Bleeder Valve off of that, and it WORKED PERFECT increasing my Boost from the Factory 18-19 PSI at 3300rpm to as much as 23-24 PSI at 3300rpm with the valve opened ALMOST all the way, and in btween those levels depending on my Preference!!

But like I said EARLIER, at the 1/4 mile RPM points, ie, 4800-7000rpm it TAPERS back to the factory 16-17 PSI!! THAT is PISSING ME OFF and NOT improving my 1/4 mile times AT ALL!! It is fum on the highway thoug in fifth gear

Bone Stock I ran a Best of 13.09@105.71 mph!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Why don't you just get a MBC and do it the right way?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

IX's will taper more than VIII's due to MIVEC. Get an aftermarket WGA, remove the pill or get an MBC with new lines, check for boost leaks, contact JESTR for a tune. DONE!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:56 AM

Guys, I REALLY just want to keep the car AS STOCK AS POSSIBLE and NOT mess with all the Dam Boost Lines,and since my BLEED VALVE WORKS PERFECT at the lower rpms, and NOT at the higher RPM's, I JUST NEED TO KNOW:

Will REMOVING THAT SIMPLE PILL REDUCE MY TAPER AT ALL????

Thats IT!!

THANK YOU!!

Quick Reply: Boost restrictor pill REMOVAL