Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

30r vs 35r??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodrivesme
well now im stuck ahha. i want quik power but i also want a lot of power. i am going to be runing meth injection like i said before and no this is not a daily driver.

You could do many things.

From reading that I would say 50 trim or 30R because you want quick power, if 450-500whp daily isnt fast enough then go bigger, but I would go smaller than bigger because if the lag pisses you off you are constantly dealing with it, where as if its power theres plenty of other ways to squeeze more power out of the smaller turbos.

Scorke
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

well i have been reading that the 30r's are at full boost around 3800 or so and that the 35r's are like 5200 is this correct? Because right now the way i look at it is, eather i get a long power band with 500hp or i can get a shorter powerband with gobs of power...really i just kinda wanna know how bad that lag is with the mods i have listed.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Well all setups are different but I would say on a 2.0 the difference between full boost on the street between a 30R and 35R would be about 1000-1500 rpms difference between the biggest 3076(.82 a/r) and smallest 35R worth running (.63 a/r).

Scorke
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

there is a HUGE 'GT35R Spoolup' thread that can answer all your questions.

The lag isn't really that noticable IMO.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

if you're going to run a 35R why would you choke it off with a .63 hotside? i'm not saying it's a bad turbo or anything but if you're going to run a bigger turbo you might as well run the .82 hotside and crank the boost.

like everyone said it all depends on what your plans are with the car. Jrod from buschur has a 3076 and he drag races it and loves it. and then there are others that want a bigger turbo for more power.

you're still runnin a 2.0 block so the 35r is going to lag. If you had a 2.3 or 2.4 it would be a different story.

if it was myself i'd run a .82 AR GT30R and see what it does on pump and race fuel (or meth for you) and if you get bored with it and want more sell the turbo and pick up a 35R. See if anyone in your area has a 35R and a 30R evo and see if they'll take you for a ride in them.

best of luck to you
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

^ My .83 AR GT30R does 490/480 on c16 390/360 on pump with my 2.3 for a dd/weekend track car couldnt think of a better combo, maybe a 50 trim or a 3065 but thats just being picky there alll good I'm happy.

Scorke
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

35R nothing like it! lag is overrated
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

EVODRIVESME... again I was in the same situation couple of months ago. I was debating the same thing your debating now. I have a 35r and it's smile from ear to ear. How many people drive the cars below 5000 rpm. If you are going to do road course than get the samller turbo. The hiway is where I live. You can pull 400+ whp on a 35r with less than 25 psi depending on your mods. Now as far as .063 back housing... I believe Curt Brown went 149+ mph thru the quarter with a .063 back end. 0.82 back housing will really cause lag on a 2.0. Boost is a downshift away! Lag is OVERATED!!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lag is not overrated. That is just what people say to justify there ****ty powerband. The total area under your power curve is what really matters. Not some peak dyno number.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

^ Correct. When WRX killa says who drives under 5000 rpm i hope everybody here does jesus, am I the only one that drives my GT series turbo like a regular car sometimes too?

Wrx killa how much did your 3076 put out? I think it was your particular experience with the turbo that put you off it, the turbo itself is a good unit.

Scorke
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Lag is not overrated. That is just what people say to justify there ****ty powerband. The total area under your power curve is what really matters. Not some peak dyno number.
I guess you could say your above comment is something people who have never driven an EVO with a 35r would say.

It's funny because I used to think exactly like what I just quoted above, in fact if you search my SN you will see my posts debating the topic. I thought I would HATE my car as a daily driver w/a 35r because I've had laggy turbos on other vehicles before and didn't like it, boy was I wrong.

I think the ones who actually have a 35r on their stock block 2.0 EVO, like myself, are the people you should be listening to. When I say there is no lag, thats exactly what I mean. Lag is defined as the time it takes for a turbo to make above atmospheric pressue after the throttle is opened. You can feel the car start to pull as low as 2500 RPM and the higher you rev it the harder it pulls. just because you only see 10psi @ 3k doesn't mean the turbo isn't pushing a lot of air and the engine isn't making power. Remember its all about CFM not PSI.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I guess you could say your above comment is something people who have never driven an EVO with a 35r would say.

It's funny because I used to think exactly like what I just quoted above, in fact if you search my SN you will see my posts debating the topic. I thought I would HATE my car as a daily driver w/a 35r because I've had laggy turbos on other vehicles before and didn't like it, boy was I wrong.

I think the ones who actually have a 35r on their stock block 2.0 EVO, like myself, are the people you should be listening to. When I say there is no lag, thats exactly what I mean. Lag is defined as the time it takes for a turbo to make above atmospheric pressue after the throttle is opened. You can feel the car start to pull as low as 2500 RPM and the higher you rev it the harder it pulls. just because you only see 10psi @ 3k doesn't mean the turbo isn't pushing a lot of air and the engine isn't making power. Remember its all about CFM not PSI.
Ehhh yeah car starts to pull at 3k, but how hard? At 3000 rpms in a 35R equipped 2.0L Evo, you will be getting passed by minivans. Its NOT about PSI, its NOT about CFM either, its about how much power you are making at different points in the powerband (i.e. a linear power curve). The fact of the matter is, 50 trim and the smaller turbos make more power SOONER than gargantuan turbos like the GT35R (especially for those running the stock 2.0L).
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

No mini van is going to pass you unless you let it, all you have to do is downshift.

I'm not trying to argue with you but have you even been in a 35r equiped EVO? if I smash the gas at 3k in any gear you are going to instantly feel the pull, by 4500rpm you will be thrown back into your seat and the power will keep increasing until you shift.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
No mini van is going to pass you unless you let it, all you have to do is downshift.

I'm not trying to argue with you but have you even been in a 35r equiped EVO? if I smash the gas at 3k in any gear you are going to instantly feel the pull, by 4500rpm you will be thrown back into your seat and the power will keep increasing until you shift.
You do not have to drive one to see how laggy it is. Just look at the dynograph. Its laggy and it sucks. You might be able to bear it, but that kind of lag takes away the streetability + track capability for most people. Its all personal taste, but I can garauntee your car will not do well circuit wise vs. 20G & 50 trim equipped cars.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 27, 2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I guess I'll have to take your word for it because you saw a dyno sheet huh?

news flash - cars load much differently on a dyno then on the street.

Quick Reply: 30r vs 35r??