Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I ran out of gas today =(

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran out of gas today =(

I was in the middle of nowhere when i realized my gas light come on... so make a story short the closes gas station when I could've filled up safely with out the car shutting down was being REMODELED WTF !!!, so i drove futher.

All of the sudden the boost would not kick in, - I am assuming this bc the car would have a governor kick in after 3500 rpms right before spooling, and the situation kept getting worse to where I turned the car off and roller to a stop due to the stuttering....

for future reference? can something break by running out of fuel like that? - what about the turbo / engine / ignition system... detonation..?

educate a bit.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:12 PM

yeah its not very good to run out of gas, i think it can damage your fuel pump and probably other things, but not sure.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

So how did you end up getting gas? one more thing, was the next gas station more then 40 miles away? becuase usually thats how much we can drive after the light turns on.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xballsport
So how did you end up getting gas? one more thing, was the next gas station more then 40 miles away? becuase usually thats how much we can drive after the light turns on.
yes I pulled right into a Costo gas station (and i dont have a costo card..) but someone lent their to put 10 bucks on the car.

yes I drove a long time with the light like that, specially since that first gas station was closed...

so i guess if the car is running fine now, no damage done.

I just wanted to know why was the "governor" kicking in - just to know what is happening internally - i guess besides leaning out
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
So when the light comes on you should be able to go 40 miles or so..So when I light comes on you have 2-3 gals left..?
Originally Posted by xballsport
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah about 2 gal. You can take it below the E on the gas guage.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

how many miles were you able to drive after the gas light lid?

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
I was in the middle of nowhere when i realized my gas light come on... so make a story short the closes gas station when I could've filled up safely with out the car shutting down was being REMODELED WTF !!!, so i drove futher.

All of the sudden the boost would not kick in, - I am assuming this bc the car would have a governor kick in after 3500 rpms right before spooling, and the situation kept getting worse to where I turned the car off and roller to a stop due to the stuttering....

for future reference? can something break by running out of fuel like that? - what about the turbo / engine / ignition system... detonation..?

educate a bit.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
next time i run out of gas lol count how many fingers you have. after you reach 10 lol add 2 more. dam i got to pay more atention
Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

This happened to me too about three weeks ago. The guys are about right, I was able to get roughly 40 miles with the light on. I was negligent, but luckily I was only two miles from the nearest gas station. Lesson learned: don't put on more than 20 miles with the light on unless it is absolutetly necessary!!!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

why were you getting into boost in the first place when you knew you were low on gas and there wasn't a close gas station?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
why were you getting into boost in the first place when you knew you were low on gas and there wasn't a close gas station?
pure stupidity one time, I went to 4K on 2nd gear w/out noticing.

after I put the costo 93 octane gas though the car idless funny when i stop at a light. good thing I use up all that gas already, going back to Mobil next tome I drive it. - hopefully it was the "cheap" gas
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:35 PM

hope it wasn't too cheap though, you don't wanna put the watered down crap through your car man. i ran out of gas once and as i was taking the nearest exit to get gas my car stalled and died on the bridge/off ramp to the gas station. had to do the walk of shame all the way up the ramp to the shell station and back again. only way it could have been worse is if it was raining or something.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speed-demon
hope it wasn't too cheap though, you don't wanna put the watered down crap through your car man. i ran out of gas once and as i was taking the nearest exit to get gas my car stalled and died on the bridge/off ramp to the gas station. had to do the walk of shame all the way up the ramp to the shell station and back again. only way it could have been worse is if it was raining or something.
i just want to know my car is okay.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Try putting a bottle of heat in your gastank. See if it has water in it.

Running on E durning this time of the year with the temps changeing constantly can cause water to collect in your tank.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Profoxcg
gas light come on... gas station .. was being REMODELED so i drove futher.... boost would not kick in....on kept getting worse to where I turned the car off and roller to a stop due to the stuttering.....
Fuel pump uses available fuel to keep it cool - you removed the fuel so at least that should be replaced

Slowly running out of gas can cause some serious combustion temps - fuel also cools that - so boosting was bad, not to mention use up remaining fuel.

Owners manual even says running out of gas will harm car.

Hopefully nothing is ruined, but at least replace FP to be safe if it gets safe.

Watch me go run out of gas today

Quick Reply: I ran out of gas today =(