Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Code P0234??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code P0234??

Hello, all.
what's the cause of code p0234??
help me!
happend to me today on freeway, crusing around 60mph, giving some gas upto 2/3 throttle, boosting upto 1.3bar, rpm around 3k.
Thank you all.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also curious about this...(free bump :]

Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

11,400 other people have been able to find the sticky at the top of the page that as all trouble codes for the evo. Stickies are another useful learning tool of evom, just like the search function, which if used, would have easily answered your question yesterday. In case you can't figure out stickies......

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=69304

or the search function.....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...archid=3559013
Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the replies.
well, i pulled the code with scanner and it showed 'engine over boosting'.
and the sticky says "DTC P0234: Turbocharger Wastegate System Malfunction"

so...what is really P0234? was engine over boosting because of wastegate malfunctioning? then how can i fix this???
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for posting the link to the sticky. it only tells us the same thing that the code scanner did. "overboost condition" I got the same code yesturday. Did your car react or jerk at all when you threw the code? what mods do you have done? This is the best I could find so far. Mine did this in 3rd gear at WOT but only after I put the 02 housing. I have also posted a thread regarding this. hopeflly someone can give a yes or no answer to the my question. otherwise time to get the flame suit on

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...64#post3735364

good explanation of the code and whats happening.
http://evo-ny.com/forum/index.php?topic=8172.0
Old May 8, 2007, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

*Bump*

I just got this code yesterday.

I was in WOT, going from 4th to 5th (or was it 3rd to 4th?). One way or another, I was hard on the gas/gears.

When it happened, I had a hard *THUMP* like I'd dropped my tranny, and the car lurched. It felt like a backfire in one of the cylinders, and there was an audible "thump" as something shot out my tail.

Sofar, the only engine mods that I have on the car (that I know of), are a FMIC, Radiator (PWR), BOV (APS), and TBE (3" APS)

I did install the plug non-foulers, and they seemed to have fixed the P0420 code (re: bad cat/o2 error), but as soon as this "thump" happened I got the P0420 code again.

Sofar, here's the two codes I've pulled up with the OBDII reader:
P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold
P0234 - Turbocharger Wastegate System Malfunction

I know what they both say, but I don't know what they MEAN.

If anyone can give me some more info on what caused the "thump", and how to fix the issue...
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:51 AM

Well the CAT code is prolly cause u have a test cat or a "high flow" cat. It means that ur o2 sensor is reading rich/lean gas going out the 1st O2 and rich/lean gas hitting the 2nd O2 sensor. I got the same two codes. Im gonna try tuning mine raising the air/fuel ratio a bit to see if it stops that code. The overboost/ wastegate malfunction means ur engine thinks ur running too much boot.. I have a MBC and i took out my boost control solenoid. But now i have the code back.. So to fix it im gonna hafta look into it more but mabye a tune will do it i hope. But Yea there is a sensor if u dont have a MBC that reads the amount of boost going into the enging coming from the wastegate vacuume port. I'll let u know how it goes Cause im gonna put in the 3in. gm MAS sensor and maf translator and give her a good tune.. And i dont have a scan tool ne more so i might hafta hook up wit sum buddies at mitsu.. But yea anyother questions hit me up im usually pretty good wit this stuff but i will admit sumtimes the car gets the best of me.. lol..

Originally Posted by MikSchultzy
*Bump*

I just got this code yesterday.

I was in WOT, going from 4th to 5th (or was it 3rd to 4th?). One way or another, I was hard on the gas/gears.

When it happened, I had a hard *THUMP* like I'd dropped my tranny, and the car lurched. It felt like a backfire in one of the cylinders, and there was an audible "thump" as something shot out my tail.

Sofar, the only engine mods that I have on the car (that I know of), are a FMIC, Radiator (PWR), BOV (APS), and TBE (3" APS)

I did install the plug non-foulers, and they seemed to have fixed the P0420 code (re: bad cat/o2 error), but as soon as this "thump" happened I got the P0420 code again.

Sofar, here's the two codes I've pulled up with the OBDII reader:
P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold
P0234 - Turbocharger Wastegate System Malfunction

I know what they both say, but I don't know what they MEAN.

If anyone can give me some more info on what caused the "thump", and how to fix the issue...