Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT HDG6 - Best clutch for the money?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
The grip and holding power will be very similar to a twin disk, however your left leg might be getting quite a workout
The HDG6 is no heavier pedal effort than EXEDY twin.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
hope you don't drive in traffic and have plans to upgrade stock driveline parts if you ever launch it..

I would go with the XT-SS
None of these comments have any factual basis. You do not need to start an account with Shepracing any more then you would with a stock clutch.

From 2nd to 5th gear one could not tell the difference in this clutch than organic.

What bothers me is that there are so many pollutant comments on evom to have a technical discussion about a product where the parties involved have actually had experience with the product of subject.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran the 6 puck act unsprung with 500whp and the hdss plate and got about 80 runs down the track before it came apart. Which in my opion is really good for the price of the clutch.
I was using the AEM 2 step set at 18lbs of boost off the line and the clutch held each time
Lol if my wife can daily drive a unsprung 6puck it cant be that bad...
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by ifarted2
amen to that

Did you use the stock flywheel or the aftermarket one?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ifarted2
I ran the 6 puck act unsprung with 500whp and the hdss plate and got about 80 runs down the track before it came apart. Which in my opion is really good for the price of the clutch.
I was using the AEM 2 step set at 18lbs of boost off the line and the clutch held each time
Even nicer than that, we are discussing a SPRUNG 6puck which is even easier to drive.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:32 PM

^^ agreed. what impressed me the most from ifarted2's comments (somehow I don't like typing his name ) is the fact that he had 500 whp and took his car to the track for about 80 runs with that clutch. That's more than once going to the track every week in a year!!!
So, my whp is about 40% less than what he has. Logically, I could take my car to the track 40% more than what he did. That's 112 runs!!! impressive...very impressive
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by djakarta
^^ agreed. what impressed me the most from ifarted2's comments (somehow I don't like typing his name ) is the fact that he had 500 whp and took his car to the track for about 80 runs with that clutch. That's more than once going to the track every week in a year!!!
So, my whp is about 40% less than what he has. Logically, I could take my car to the track 40% more than what he did. That's 112 runs!!! impressive...very impressive
That is not a logical formula.

I did 140passes on the stock clutch with 405whp/445tq.

A lot has to do with driving style and how much you slip the unit.

Horsepower does not wear clutches, people wear clutches.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

LOL i never broke my clutch. My mechanic told to put 500 miles on it and i was bad and went to the track and broke it in. My guess is the 6puck would have gone longer if i would have broke it in right.
o and i use the stock flywheel
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:40 PM

yeah i agree with you...i like playing with numbers

thanks TTP..i guess you'll hear from me soon then
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

i drive an unsprung 6 puck everyday. it's not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. you get used to it in two days........and now, i actually prefer it
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:52 PM
m2
Evolving Member

I just had the ACT XTR6 (Xtreme pressure plate with 6-puck) installed about a month ago after my stocker killed over at 60k.

After 1200 miles, here is the deal:
1. Pedal effort is very very close to stock. I honesty didn't notice a difference but I assume there must be.

2. Noisy at take-off (Humms). Noisy at decel (more likely 10lb flywheel than clutch).

3. No lockout.
4. Grabs like the 300lb bouncer at club 112. Since mine is unsprung, this shouldn't be surprising.

Overall, I like. And since I am going GT37R shortly, I will need all the grabbing power I can get.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
None of these comments have any factual basis. You do not need to start an account with Shepracing any more then you would with a stock clutch.

From 2nd to 5th gear one could not tell the difference in this clutch than organic.

What bothers me is that there are so many pollutant comments on evom to have a technical discussion about a product where the parties involved have actually had experience with the product of subject.

Maybe i should've made myself more clear.

With the common evo driver who is lacking skills when it comes to the launching area. They will see added driveline thrash from the 6pluck type "on / off" clutches. They have a very small friction point and are kindof hard to slip. Most evo owners will cause more stress on stock driveline parts with this style clutch.

The street disc with xtreme plate i feel is much more suited for the average evo owner. Its rated at 636lb ft tq. And you can still slip it some.

Also a 6 puck disc for that clutch kit is 100$ incase you find the street disc not to enough for your application. I really dont see how you can go wrong with the XT-SS

but thats just me.

-Cass
Old Nov 29, 2006, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
"lockout" plate cannot disengage its connection with the clutch disk to allow the transmission to shift.

This usually indicates:
  1. A need of clutch pedal adjustment
  2. A need of flywheel re-surfacing (depending on the design of the clutch, a non OEM step height might be needed to ensure proper disengagement of the aftermarket clutch. Check with the manufacture of the clutch to ensure the proper step height is used). The flywheel step height is often overlooked in clutch installs and is responsible for many bizarre clutch problems.
  3. A improper clutch installation
Just though this info needs restating
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:09 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also recommend the XT over the HD with a 6 puck. The XT should hold the power you are looking to get while being easier to drive.

Puck style clutches are not built to be engaged and disengaged as many times as the Street disc style. And when you do try to slip them you end up wearing them out much quicker then the street disc. The only time I recommend puck clutches is when the customer is a serious drag racer and does not care about daily drivability or clutch life
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djakarta
Well, never dynoed my car before..but I'm guessing it's around 300-320 on a mustang dyno...
What mods do you have?

Quick Reply: ACT HDG6 - Best clutch for the money?