Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

WARNING!! please read regarding transfercase oil!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by InsaneEvolution
All transfer cases have a breather hole so that is false.Oil can "burn"away if its too hot.Ever had an overheating car and drive it.You will burn up a couple of quarts real quick.
the exact word that my mitsu mechanic said
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
yeah there is a breather on the top but i highly doubt it just evaporated. When you removed the oil was the car warm? It could just be it did not all come out or you could have a bad seal.
yep it was warmed and i even used pressurized air on the fill hole so that all the oil would come out of it and it was a good amount that came out when i used the air system!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I agree with Ray(rraulston), I have seen what he is saying. He has serviced my evos a few times and I remember seeing excatly what he said.

One more time, Jrsimon27 thanks for this great post

Carlos
thanks carlos just trying to help
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsimon27
yep it was warmed and i even used pressurized air on the fill hole so that all the oil would come out of it and it was a good amount that came out when i used the air system!
I suggest not to blow any compressed air in a sealed unit.
You run the risk of folding your seals over and cause a leak.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

What are you guys using to measure the transfer case fluid? Where can I buy this item?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nad1370
I think boiling point is around 400+ degrees for reg. gear oil. Synthetics are higher.

Its not the type of oil but the weight which will determine the boiling characteristics.

Examples:

5w30 = 500F
10w30 = 680F
75W90 = 900F+
Old Dec 2, 2006, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just for info, GL5 gear oil will take about 2000 years to evaperate (little less at high temps).

If it's leakinig, since we only put 18 or so ounces in there it doesn't take much for us to find that oil is missing. The 1 qt container can be empty, only 0.2 actually get inside case and the remaining 0.6 qts of oil can be oinside the tubing, on the rags and ground, ond your clothes.

Im just saying that when dealing with such a small qunatity, it's easy to miss calcualte.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The most unlikely thing that could happen is having the oil evaporate. You really need to check the seals. Also make sure you tcase has all the bolts. If you didn't do you own clutch job check it... I remember reading a few weeks ago someone mentioning that the person who did his clutch job forgot the top 3 bolts on the tcase.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
The most unlikely thing that could happen is having the oil evaporate. You really need to check the seals. Also make sure you tcase has all the bolts. If you didn't do you own clutch job check it... I remember reading a few weeks ago someone mentioning that the person who did his clutch job forgot the top 3 bolts on the tcase.
it has all the bolts cause ive never changed my clutch and its has no leaks at all!
Old Dec 2, 2006, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Wow someone forgot to put in the 3 bolts on top of the t-case! That is very bad.

I have overfilled the t-case just to have the excess leak from the rear seal. It is also possible this is what happened to you.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to fill the transfer case with oil:

Fill with the factory Diaqueen, #3775610, till oil flows back out the fill hole.
Rotate the drive shaft 3-4 times around to wet gears.
Now add more oil to top off the level so that the oil is level.
Change every 5k for added insurance.

I recommend the factory oil because that is what is found in the owner's manual or shop manuals in the newer EVOs. Mitsubishi didn't take into account that people would fill the transfer case with whatever and should have strongly indicated that the transfer case was to be filled with GL5 90 weight. You can use other brands as long as it meets the correct specifications.

A snippet from an old rant...

"In the transfer case and rear differential you must use a GL-5 "Hypoid" type gear oil. The transfer case features hypoid gears to transmit that power to the drive shaft. The word hypoid is short for hyperboloid which refers to the design of these gears. All you really need to know is that hypoid gears; don’t share a common axis, run quiet (for the most part) and they are a strong design. Yet by design the gear teeth must slide across one another during their meshing and this is why you must us a GL-5 Hypoid type gear oil in the transfer case and rear end, you need that slippery oil here. Use the wrong oil and the transfer case will overheat and start howling and growling within a couple tanks of gas. Mitsubishi specifies the Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil in the transfer case and rear end of the EVOs. This oil is a single viscosity, 90 weight, and the part number is #377610. If you can’t find this oil then you must find a gear oil that meets the GL-5 Hypoid specification. Again this oil must ONLY meet GL-5, preferably 90 weight. Do not use any gear oil that claims to be GL-3, 4 & 5. These one size fits all type oils are not recommended anymore than a one heat range fits all spark plug. Lastly, multi viscosity index modifiers and dyes both reduce the film strength of the oil; they take up valuable parking spaces on the molecular level reducing film strength and that’s what the transfer case and rear end both need."

Jon
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Gears,

What do you recommend for track use?

I am currently using Shockproof heavy in the transfer case and Redline 75w-90. The 75w90 is GL-5 according the redline and Redline recommends it for use in the Evo rear end and the TC.

I do not quite get the weight and GL rating of the shockproof, but here is what the Redline website says about it

"The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90."

Does that mean the heavy is 75w90?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
How to fill the transfer case with oil:

Fill with the factory Diaqueen, #3775610, till oil flows back out the fill hole.
Rotate the drive shaft 3-4 times around to wet gears.
Now add more oil to top off the level so that the oil is level.
Change every 5k for added insurance.

I recommend the factory oil because that is what is found in the owner's manual or shop manuals in the newer EVOs. Mitsubishi didn't take into account that people would fill the transfer case with whatever and should have strongly indicated that the transfer case was to be filled with GL5 90 weight. You can use other brands as long as it meets the correct specifications.

A snippet from an old rant...

"In the transfer case and rear differential you must use a GL-5 "Hypoid" type gear oil. The transfer case features hypoid gears to transmit that power to the drive shaft. The word hypoid is short for hyperboloid which refers to the design of these gears. All you really need to know is that hypoid gears; don’t share a common axis, run quiet (for the most part) and they are a strong design. Yet by design the gear teeth must slide across one another during their meshing and this is why you must us a GL-5 Hypoid type gear oil in the transfer case and rear end, you need that slippery oil here. Use the wrong oil and the transfer case will overheat and start howling and growling within a couple tanks of gas. Mitsubishi specifies the Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil in the transfer case and rear end of the EVOs. This oil is a single viscosity, 90 weight, and the part number is #377610. If you can’t find this oil then you must find a gear oil that meets the GL-5 Hypoid specification. Again this oil must ONLY meet GL-5, preferably 90 weight. Do not use any gear oil that claims to be GL-3, 4 & 5. These one size fits all type oils are not recommended anymore than a one heat range fits all spark plug. Lastly, multi viscosity index modifiers and dyes both reduce the film strength of the oil; they take up valuable parking spaces on the molecular level reducing film strength and that’s what the transfer case and rear end both need."

Jon

thanks gears always helpful just thanks
Old Dec 5, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj1266
Gears, What do you recommend for track use?
The REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY works fine in the transfer case.

John Mueller has been running this oil in their EVO transfer case since 19-prohibition and haven't had a single failure or issue with the transfer case and that EVO has quite a history of being driven past the limit.

REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY is tenacious and clings to the gears exceptionally well and has a high ISO number which is what you want if you are going to be road racing the car for extended periods of time. However it might be a little thick for cold winter climates.

Jon@TRE
Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:16 PM

My evo has 12,000 miles and it has been making a whining noise in higher gears. I checked the oil and it is very black but i did not find any metal pieces. Has anyones whining noise went away by changing the oil or do you need a rebuild?

Quick Reply: WARNING!! please read regarding transfercase oil!