Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock Dyno and a urgent question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Dyno and a urgent question

there is the dyno...notice how bad my a/f is, I have no idea why...the car is 100% stock, the only thing I can think of was that I drove from Flagstaff, AZ (7200ft) to Phoenix, AZ (somwhere in the 1000ft depending where you are in the Valley) and only turned the car off and on twice or 3 time (but within 2 or 3 minutes of eachother) I did let it sit about and hour and a half after the drive, but wondered if my car hadn't adapted to the elevation yet since my VW wouldn't...sorry if this has been asked before I searched but didn't find anything...
Old Dec 3, 2006, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
The AFR does this because the dynojet is not calibrated to read below 10. Our car run VERY rich stock. So it is very normal to see this happen in the top part of the rpm range. Once you get the car tuned, then your AFR will probably be set around 11:1 across the rpm range.

BTW, could you post a dyno sheet with the rpm on the x-axis instead of the speed?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What did you expect the AFRs to look like? That's what the stock tune does...it goes extremely rich after 5500rpm...

Also, why did you dyno in 4th gear?? That probably made it even worse.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
What did you expect the AFRs to look like? That's what the stock tune does...it goes extremely rich after 5500rpm...

Also, why did you dyno in 4th gear?? That probably made it even worse.

to answer your first insult/question, I don't know didn't think it would be that rich...the other graphs they had on file weren't that bad...

2nd I didn't drive it (most places insurance won't let you)
Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266

BTW, could you post a dyno sheet with the rpm on the x-axis instead of the speed?
here you go:
Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Justin, glad to see you driving an Evo now. I used to be on vortex sw forum and had a 03 20th AE GTI.

Enjoy the ride.

Mike
Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JustinTheGIMP
here you go:
Thanks. Do you happen to have the file? Could you upload it in a zip file? I have a 4th gear dynojet run of my TBE/tuned evo that I would like to compare it to. I would post the results of the comparison. If you prefer that I post the file, then I will do so and you can do the comparison.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:02 AM

yeah, I have no problem with uploading the file, I just have to do it when I get home so my roomate can do it (I have no idea how)...

oh and whats up homi...what happened to the 350?
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It wasn't an insult. I was asking what you expected it to look like. It's looks about identical to most stock Evo AFR curves. Mine looked just like that. I also wasn't concerned with who was driving on the dyno - I was asking why 4th was used. Should be done in 3rd, regardless of who is driving.

Anyway, we'll do some comparisons when you are able to zip then upload the runfile.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It wasn't an insult. I was asking what you expected it to look like. It's looks about identical to most stock Evo AFR curves. Mine looked just like that. I also wasn't concerned with who was driving on the dyno - I was asking why 4th was used. Should be done in 3rd, regardless of who is driving.

Anyway, we'll do some comparisons when you are able to zip then upload the runfile.

sorry, maybe I was being a little touchy...takes a lot of patience to dyno with a bunch of Volkswagen guys talking about how nice their dash is and not be a little on edge...but I laughed a little bit when the only VW's there that beat my #'s was a 2871'd GTI running 25 lbs of boost and had some real problems afterwards (he was planning on the motor blowing on the dyno since he already built the replacement), a VF stage 2 R32 (only his hp #'s beat me), and an A4 that probably isn't street legal...funny my stock car put more to 4 wheels then their modded cars put to 2 wheels

I honestly have no idea why he dyno'd in 4th...he did it for everyone that day...I was always taught to dyno in 3rd (I worked for www.evoms.com awhile back)...

but it is good to know that everyones car runs rich stock...

Last edited by JustinTheGIMP; Dec 4, 2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
My stock dyno chart looks pretty much exactly the same. Yup, the cars run insanely rich on the top end.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Like it's already been written, stock Evos go heavy rich from the midrange to redline. Looks like a pretty healthy stock dyno to me.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
10:1 at 4700 seems a bit too soon for a stock tune evo to go full rich to me. Might be different on a dynojet though.

Stock evos on mustangs here don't go uber rich until a bit after the crossover.

Last edited by razorlab; Dec 4, 2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
10:1 at 4700 seems a bit too soon for a stock tune evo to go full rich to me. Might be different on a dynojet though.

Stock evos on mustangs here don't go uber rich until a bit after the crossover.
Keep in mind that he is dynoing in 4th gear and that produces richer AFRs on a stock car. It even produces a richer AFR if your car is not tuned to prevent this from happening.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
That chart I posted was 4th as well.