Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cat delete=failed inspection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the people that actually posted HELPFUL responses, not ignorant, errogant useless flaming. I'm in upstate NY, no I do not have a CEL. They'd fail it based on looking under the car and seeing to cat, no cel issue at all. High flow cat obviously is an option but I REALLY dont wanna deal with having to take the O2 sensor out again, first time I did it doing my exhaust I had to buy a brand new one cuz the threads were like melted and stripped like a b*tch... But if I do decide to go that way I'd probly go Ultimate Racing or Buschur. Any fitment issues with those and my setup or recomendation to go one way or the other? They're both like $150

Last edited by Nauticabri; Dec 4, 2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Buschur is slip fit, so it won't work..

Helix would obviously work with your whole Helix System.. and it looks nice.

I have Ultimate racing myself, it is functional, but the Helix one is much nicer

Soo....... looks like Ultimate racing for you... unless you can get a deal on the Helix one. I got one for my friend used for $100 which was a steal.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Flow Cat FtW!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 06:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 fas 4 u
why are u going to the dealer for an inspection if u have a check engine light when u need an inspection un plug battery so it can reset drive to get inspection that simple. if light comes on before u get there then reset it again thats it.
actually you cant do this... the ecu has whats called a "drive cycle" in which it determines if all sensors are ready to be scanned via the obd port. If they arent, they show "non-readiness" bits and the car will fail for not having all of the required tests "ready"

In pa... we have a port check for emissions and basic inspection..brakes, tires... wipers... lights... etc...

but, our inspection requirements are direct on a cat... says it can be replaced if damaged etc... and says your exhaust cant leak......

we've never had a car not pass here with a test pipe in it... but then again... we make sure our cars arent throwing any codes.

cheers

cb
Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

So it looks like worst case scenario if I cant get it passed I'll have to get a helix or Ultimate racing High flow cat, and have to deal with that damn O2 sensor again and hope I dont destroy it.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

My car never has to in for inspection. Its registered to an Indian reservation then I just told them I had a differnt mailing adress. They just mail me new stickers all the time. I love Wisconsin.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

wow i have some spelling skills.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:31 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I hope you don't mess the sensor again man lol. Damn I am so glad I don't have inspections where I live.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nauticabri
I'm sick of being given a hard time by my dealership and such saying they wont pass me on inspection because of my exhaust (no cat) here in NY state. I'm not willing to change my whole exhaust system or go back to stock just to pass inspection, anyone else run into this problem and what did you do, or what do you recommend? I'm not due for an inspection for a while (spring) but I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.
I didnt read this whole thing but this seems kind of funny to me. Did you honestly think they would pass you without a cat?!?!? They could get in HUGE trouble for that. If you want to pass inspection you will have to go to shady garages that dont look under the car. Once you find one you are set for life (or till they go under). Thats what myself and all my friends here in PA do.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Use some antiseize on the O2 bung and don't get it on the sensor... honestly it shouldn't be on that badly, especially seeing as you haven't had it on too long.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Um, you're breaking the law. Why should they pass you?
I'm sure you never break the law either right? You drive an Evo and you never speed right?
+1 for a high flow cat. I have a 3" Helix HFC and it works great- another thought is that if you buy a HFC just swap it on before emissions testing, and right afterwards go home and put your straight pipe back on! Just keep it for passing emissions if you think its not making the same power as your straight pipe
Old Dec 5, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CBRD
actually you cant do this... the ecu has whats called a "drive cycle" in which it determines if all sensors are ready to be scanned via the obd port. If they arent, they show "non-readiness" bits and the car will fail for not having all of the required tests "ready"

In pa... we have a port check for emissions and basic inspection..brakes, tires... wipers... lights... etc...

but, our inspection requirements are direct on a cat... says it can be replaced if damaged etc... and says your exhaust cant leak......

we've never had a car not pass here with a test pipe in it... but then again... we make sure our cars arent throwing any codes.

cheers

cb

LOL - too true. I made this amateur mistake and got the "not ready" signal go off. He knew right off that I reset my car via the battery. So i told him I bought a new mass airflow sensor and just installed it/reset the comp. So he told me to come back this coming thursday. I faled as well, but won't pass for the same reason. My Catalyst and EGR System. I need to do a search as well on this to see how to fix it. Sorry...I'm a newb to repairs.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
I'm sure you never break the law either right? You drive an Evo and you never speed right?
Who doesn't speed? But do you speed with a cop directly next to you? I didn't think so

I can make a pretty good analogy of this situation:

I'm sick of being given a hard time by the sports governing body because I take performance enhancing drugs! They won't let me compete because I have to take mandatory drug tests and I'll always fail them because I have drugs in my system! I don't want to give up the drugs but I want to compete.

Basically, the options are quit the drugs, or pay someone off.

So either put a cat on or pay someone off.