Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Jet-Hot - Not Recommended

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Killboy
I can understand that line of thought for parts AFTER the turbo, or the turbo itself, but I don't see how the header would get any hotter on a turbo-charged application than the header does on a non-turbo application.

Either way, they were aware that the part was going on a turbo-charged engine and did not say anything about the coating being insufficient.

The metal of the header does heat up substantially more on a turbo application for a couple reasons.

First a turbo in itself is an exhaust restriction, this greatly increases the pressure the header experiences. Now everyone thats taken a basic physics class knows when you compress air you get heat. On top of that energy transfer is higher to the metal of the turbo and header simply because of the pressure creating denser, hotter, exhaust hitting the manifold.

Secondly, turbo applications simply run greater volumes of air and thus more fuel. Simply put more exhaust gases escaping than otherwise would normally be possible in a NA application.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I realize there is a little bit of a debate going on about the coatings coming off and having issue with that. There are a couple of other companies that specialize in coatings besides Jet-Hot. The one I have used in the past has been (HPC) High Performance Coatings www.hpcoatings.com They supply some of the military with their coatings. The other that I have not used as of yet is Bekaert which is used by many motorsports companies throughout the world. Bekeart I believe specializes in the adhesion of the coating for Cavidur which is who supplies the actual coatings for Bekaert. There quality control appears stellar, along with there reputation. Hope this helps some. http://www.bactusa.com/
Old Dec 5, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finishline Coatings does a black matte finish...EXCELLENT coating.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

1300F coatings on a turbo manifold?

The title of this post should be:

IGNORANCE - Not Recommended

Next time do more research.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Killboy
Just a heads-up so you guys/gals don't waste your time and money: I had my Megan SS headers ceramic coated by Jet Hot (1300 degree silver coating) and they started cracking and peeling after 2 weeks. Yeah they have a lifetime warranty, and I'm going to take them up on it, but it's a pain to swap them out, and what good is getting the same coating again if it's just going to crack in 2 weeks.

BTW, I'm running rich. (cold)
Running rich means higher exhaust temps. Should have done some research.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f-dub
Running rich means higher exhaust temps. Should have done some research.
rich = cold. lean = hot.
don't call someone out unless you know what you're talking about.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW, check out Classic Coatings in Wisconsin. Ask about their Cermakrome finish...
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the coating might have come off the shiny polished outside but i bet ti's still fine on the inside. this has been discussed before.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
rich = cold. lean = hot.
don't call someone out unless you know what you're talking about.
rich means cold in the cylinder, but why is it cold in the cylinder? could it be because the fuel used to absorb the heat is pushed out into the...... gasp manifold? egts go up when you run rich, this is an indiactor that your car is pulling timing. dsm folks have known this for foreber. now it's up to you to make the connection that pulling timing makes you run rich because you're not burning the same mount of fuel anymore because you started the ignition cycle later. this fuel gets pushed out into the manifold which then gets nice and hot while the flame front propogates with it.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Swaintech White Lightning coating.. good stuff. and if you don't like the white color, it makes a great base for paint.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trinydex
rich means cold in the cylinder, but why is it cold in the cylinder? could it be because the fuel used to absorb the heat is pushed out into the...... gasp manifold? egts go up when you run rich, this is an indiactor that your car is pulling timing. dsm folks have known this for foreber. now it's up to you to make the connection that pulling timing makes you run rich because you're not burning the same mount of fuel anymore because you started the ignition cycle later. this fuel gets pushed out into the manifold which then gets nice and hot while the flame front propogates with it.
I agree, but only for the situation you described. extra fuel acts as a coolant in the cylinder, this is common knowledge. If the ignition point is happening too late as you say, then yes I understand your point because the flame front takes longer to burn, esp if it can't expand, so it goes out the exhaust valves into the manifold, still aflame. Viola, hot manifold.

Running rich by itself however, isn't a sole qualifier for timing being pulled per your description. If timing is being pulled for some reason then it's a problem with the tune, components, or environment. Running rich simply means there's proportionally more fuel than oxygen. So just because there's extra fuel left over that can't burn, doesn't mean it's will burn as it enters the manifold. This can happen within the limits of good timing. Having extra fuel doesn't mean jack if all the oxygen is used up. Once it's post burn, there's nothing left to make it ignite. Thus, cooler temps.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do a lot of Ceramic Coating and Powder Caoting for fellow members on our board here. For turbo applications you need to use the best 2000 degree caoting that is availbale. It may not be as pretty as the chrome looking stuff, but holds up. Also many of the flaking off. and or cracking are a result of improper break in procedures. Did Jet hot give you a "break in sheet" Most ceramic coating in only partially cured when it reaches your door. The final cure happens on the car and it is important to run the car for about 45 minutes straight at highway speed for the best cure.

Last edited by EvoTech; Jan 2, 2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
This is correct. We see this happen on general aviation aircraft when a pilot is trimming his mixture (at altitude on a piston powered aircraft) when you go lean, EGT goes up, as well as running rich...EGT goes up. The balance occurs around stoich.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

When you send the manifold back JetHot make them coat it in their 2000 degree coating and you wont have a problem. I have sent them probably 50 manifolds over the years and theyre all coated in the 2000* coating and are still looking great. We get cars in the shop all the time with 1300* coating on manifolds and theyre peeling off and look terrible. Im surprised they allowed you to coat a turbo component in something other than the 2000* protectant.

good luck

-bill
Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have some experience with ceramic coating. There is a local coater here that does first rate work for very reasonable. The 25g setup on the left has 5k plus miles on it. This setup has was run hard 100 times. The manifold, turbine, and downpipe glow cherry red. The coating stays on. The problem I am afraid is the cheap stainless manifold expands and contracts way too much. I have seen these cheap manifolds coated and they last about a year and the flaking will occur. The heavy stainless manifolds, by fullrace, rnr, shearer and the like can be coated with successs.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Dec 7, 2006 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Jet-Hot - Not Recommended