Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Should Mitsu recall the evo transfer case?
Yes
77.39%
No
22.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think Mitsubishi should place a recall on their transfer cases?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
recalls are for safety issues- not gear whine or breakage from abuse. As said, when they start locking up and causing crashes then there will be grounds for a recall. That's what it took for the DSM recall and that's also what it will take here.
A "weak link" is not necessarily a flawed design. Every design has a weak link and often this is done on purpose. Something has to break, it's just a question of what. Would you like the TC, trans, and rear diff to all simultaneously explode when overpowered? Would this be a better design than one component, or link in the chain, failing first?

Last edited by Steve_P; Dec 13, 2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall it and change it with what better product?

Thats all we got no use in recalling somthing they can't fix, just hope your dealer is cool and still warranties your modded car.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 05:51 PM

This is a safety issue hence my concern but not all recalls are for safety. If a part is faulty by design, the government can force a company to recall. And of course there is always a weak link, but the point here isn't to dispute that. Granted when something is abused, duh, it will fail but my point is that the failure of the tcase under normal conditions is a serious problem.

Im hoping to cause enough noise that mitsu will at least throw out a TSB. TSB's are actually a sneaky way for car companies to get out of full recalls. That way if you bring your car in for a clutch and they find the tcase is full of slack, they will replace it before there is a problem.

As far as replacing it with what, well, they could either redesign a tcase comparable to the JDM spec units, which are not prone to failure. The tcase in the USDM vehicles was a prototype and never used in any market so the fact that it is failing shows its inherant flaw. On another note, in speaking with people about this issue, it seems that it may even come down to something as simple as a quality control problem. Appearantly some of the tcases have a shimming issue leading to alot of slop in the gears. If it is something that simple, they could recall the shim itself and just replace them. IDK for sure what the problem is but I am hoping to pull apart my tcase and inspect the wear areas.

Also, Steve and value, realize that with Mitsubishi's past history with tcase recalls, that can be used to our advantage to help try and prevent people from dying instead of waiting for it to happen.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

That's interesting... I have a new 06 MR with 800 miles on it, and I noticed even though it shifts like butter, there are certain points during shifting that are sticky like it won't go into gear just yet, I don't force it in, I sort of shimy it out and back in to prevent any misshift. I wondered if I needed new shifter bushings or something... I hope its not a gear shim issue ; ; ... what do you guys think? Help me out here!
-Concerned
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dorikun
That's interesting... I have a new 06 MR with 800 miles on it, and I noticed even though it shifts like butter, there are certain points during shifting that are sticky like it won't go into gear just yet, I don't force it in, I sort of shimy it out and back in to prevent any misshift. I wondered if I needed new shifter bushings or something... I hope its not a gear shim issue ; ; ... what do you guys think? Help me out here!
-Concerned
Mine will be hard to downshift if I'm skipping gears. Same thing you're describing. It gets easier if I rev match it. Does that help? I don't have problems while upshifting though.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dayf
Mine will be hard to downshift if I'm skipping gears. Same thing you're describing. It gets easier if I rev match it. Does that help? I don't have problems while upshifting though.
I have always had that problem, the solution is having the gate alignment adjusted so they drop into gear properly. What is happening is the side movement and up down movement isn't quite lined up properly for the sliders to drop into gear easily.

Another possibility is the engine shifting, I found my situation improved alot when I installed an Engine damper (plus it eliminated the phantom knock I was getting when my downpipe would clunk)
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:47 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MRevolutionRed
i agree with you 110%. my friends 05 evo the transfer case went 3 times and mitsubishi said it was driver error. i think it is a bunch of bs..they def should be on recall cuz i have plenty of buddy's that there t-case went on them and they are driving like and average person with about 20k miles...it is such garbage how they can produce a well performing car with a piece a junk t-case...unbelieveable
I have at least 250 drag passes from 1.60 60', 575whp and never broken a driveline part with the stock 5sp, ACD TC and rear diff.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, Steve and value, realize that with Mitsubishi's past history with tcase recalls, that can be used to our advantage to help try and prevent people from dying instead of waiting for it to happen

Read up on Mitsubishi's truck lawsuit/recall in Japan. Their faulty truck hubs killed people before they finally recalled them after a long fought out battle.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I have always had that problem, the solution is having the gate alignment adjusted so they drop into gear properly. What is happening is the side movement and up down movement isn't quite lined up properly for the sliders to drop into gear easily.

Another possibility is the engine shifting, I found my situation improved alot when I installed an Engine damper (plus it eliminated the phantom knock I was getting when my downpipe would clunk)
Oh man! Now THAT's interesting... that's gotta be the case then... so wierd how such a little thing can screw things up... and while I couldn't quote two people @ once, that pretty much what I'm expieriencing too the whole rev match issue etc, I rev match a lot while down shifting to avoid it but if I'm @ like 3k+ I still have to shimmy it a bit[when upshifting], its gotta be a flex issue then. I used to drive a miata so expieriencing that is normal but not on the upshift like I said but I can so see a "regular" driver not properally upshift. I mean, lets face it, you might think you're babying it or driving it normal but if you don't "feel" what the car is doing, and you knock it in gear like that man... its almost asking for trouble later down the road... I'd like to hear what these other guys have done though because none of them have described what thier car drove like, and thanks for the info on those five speeds... the only reason why I didn't get the 5 speed was cause I couldn't DRIVE it ><' I couldn't get used to the hardcore torque at the lot when trying to take off in first w/out some type of short launch lol ; ; the 6 speed was real smooth off in 1st, was real drivable.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Geeze... reading all the reasponses... I have so many questions more than I can post... such as:
Being that the MR is real smooth but concidering the guys original post was on a 5 speed... is the 6 speed in more risk than the 5 speed because you possibly might not be able to feel certain things to avoid damaging anything?

Also... (man this question is noobish please bear with me) but the thing I'm concerned with is why when doing quick 4k rev shifts does my car like make that "boom" sound(could it be from just the clutch it self)? is that the differentials's clutches? It sounds like if you've ever drivin in a car that doesn't have LSD, and the then the Differential sort of like locks up(not sure how to describe that) and the tranny is just pushing that power out but it doesn't go anywhere, so the differential just acts like a broke LSD and doesn't do anything but spin one tire while the rear end feels like its gonna pop off... it sounds just like that but it doesn't do that, you hear "boom" then after holding/pressing the gas it just goes... does it have to do with not having LSD in our cars or does our cars have LSD? Sounds noobish, sorry, but please enlighten me, I don't want to screw anything up.

Last edited by Dorikun; Dec 28, 2006 at 09:28 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:26 PM
Account Disabled

Its the driveshaft and bushings making that noise. You are not driving it correctly is it is making that noise.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm...

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Its the driveshaft and bushings making that noise. You are not driving it correctly is it is making that noise.
Driveshaft and bushings?... it sounds so clean though, its not rattling etc, as I said it really just sounds like the Clutch engaging real fast it is a noticible boom sound though. I just feel that if it was drive shaft and bushings it'd sound different but you could be right about that. I'm assuming what's happening is the whole drive train engagement just isn't ment for quick shifts? What could I do to improve, strengthen that aspect of the drivability?
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRevolutionRed
i agree with you 110%. my friends 05 evo the transfer case went 3 times and mitsubishi said it was driver error. i think it is a bunch of bs..they def should be on recall cuz i have plenty of buddy's that there t-case went on them and they are driving like and average person with about 20k miles...it is such garbage how they can produce a well performing car with a piece a junk t-case...unbelieveable

Your friend has one of these problems problems

1. Needs a driving lesson

2. Whoever put his x-case together didn't do it correctly
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

it was said before recalls are for safety issues, and only if the potential insurance payouts are more expensive than the recall itself. So, dont expect Mitsu to do anything about it, hell you see stingy they are with warranties.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by Dorikun
Driveshaft and bushings?... it sounds so clean though, its not rattling etc, as I said it really just sounds like the Clutch engaging real fast it is a noticible boom sound though. I just feel that if it was drive shaft and bushings it'd sound different but you could be right about that. I'm assuming what's happening is the whole drive train engagement just isn't ment for quick shifts? What could I do to improve, strengthen that aspect of the drivability?
Actually, I've been driving differently than before... I think I've gotten used to a few things and yea, basically have figured out that yes, at certain situations you could easily shift too fast for the drive line... its very interesting how I've picked that up. I'm pretty sure nothings damaged or anything... just very interesting...
You know what I've been wondering... how exactly the ACD works... is it possible it could ever fail electronically and cause you to drive in undisired conditions, causing you to drive unintentionally abusive under certain types of acceleration? Maybe someone out there is using the incorrect ACD setting? Would that be a potential hazard? If the differentials lock up when they aren't supposed to such as too soon etc... in the end the stress goes to the tranny when the differentials fail... maybe I'm confused on how that works, but just an idea...

Quick Reply: Do you think Mitsubishi should place a recall on their transfer cases?