Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Should Mitsu recall the evo transfer case?
Yes
77.39%
No
22.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think Mitsubishi should place a recall on their transfer cases?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 evo eight, 56,xxx xcedy twin, SS clutch line, dont remember what fly wheel stock everything else(in trany)and have been experiencing discouraging sounds from t-case/ diffs. i have tracked the car over twenty times on road courses and launched it maybe 20 times ( with gizmondo launch control so i was dropping the clutch at full spool) but other than theese new noises mine has been fine.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
55k on my 03 tranny and case sound fine. shifts fine
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:14 PM

USDM evo got a weak cluch huh?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

my car is still new but i hope it will not happen to me. "fingers crossed"
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

80K with NO PROBLEMS EVER!!!!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

My 03 had transfer case problems at 15,000. I brought it in and they replaced it and two days later same thing. So finally they took their time and replaced it again after that. Now I have the an 06 IX and I haven't had any problems.. thank god. But honestly, they should do something about this.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

EVo's TC are weak period. . Transmissions too, but... I will say cryo TC and Transmission is the way to go but not enough money now
Old Mar 4, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

And what about clutch it is true that USDM have them weak too. That's why my new IX will receive exedy twin transplant ASAP.. I know all these stories my 05 had problems with clutch and transmission from beginning.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Personally, i believe that those of you who suffer a xfer case failure whom say they never abuse it may be right. I have done over 20 clutches. The majority of them have never had a xfer case oil change. When draining the case to remove it, ime finding very little oil in it. I mean that i KNOW these things are sometimes not even half full from the factory!!! And a half full case, that doesnt hold alot to begin with, is serious business. The second i have bought ANY car, ive checked ALL the fluids. I bought a new dodge ram 10 years ago and burned up the motor in 50 miles due to NO antifreeze. They wanted to rebuild it. I shoved it up their a$$. From there on out ive checked all my cars. Sometimes even at the dealer before delivery as a condition of sale. Fellas, check your fluid!!! When filling these things, you HAVE to "burp" them. ie rotate the front wheels WHILE filling!!! that is all. Ray
Old Mar 6, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

tc starting to whine on decel only....have 15k with baby on board most times...replaced under warr. service manager told me it was routine to replace these at their dealership and they're going bankrupt on warranty work. i think it should be re-called....better safe than sorry later. no more whining so far...
Old May 31, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clutchdc5
Recall I have no problems with my ix mr but I'm afraid to launch knowing we got **** cases, so civics are challenging me to launch and I can't wtf is this
The whole damn point of getting an EVO is so you can beat people off the line due to the AWD. It's sucks that every time you launch hard, you have to worry about the TC.

Where do I sign to get this rolling?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
DSM transfer cases didn't have bad seals. What leaked was the yoke on the front of the drive shaft. The yoke was splined all the way through to accept the transfer case output shaft except at the rear where it was counter bored for a plug (like a frost plug). This is a standard design used on rear wheel drive cars.

The DSM engine (our 4G63) rocks on its motor mounts, in this case a little too much. The transfer output shaft was shoved into the yoke like a plunger into a hypodermic syringe with enough force to push oil past the plug. So, while it never got attention, this was a motor mount problem.

By the way, Mitsu doesn't recall cars. A recall is issued by the National Highway Safety Transportation Administrator. When we realized we had a problem we started a letter campaign to the Fed. This went on for two years before it had any effect. Finally, the Fed acted.

So, now a recall? Nope, Mitsubishi had to design a fixed part, and not Mitsubishi of North America but Mitsubishi of Japan. So, that took awhile.

When a car company sends out a recall and the car is sold by two different companies as DSM's were, the law requires that the recall come from both companies within five days. Well, at that time Mitsubishi was mad at Chrysler so they didn't bother to tell Chrysler. When Mitsubishi started their recall campaign the supply of transfer cases dried up fast. So, Chrysler couldn't get their recall campaign going until the supply chain filled back up – we're talking many months here.

The recall called for the lube level to be checked and the car driven and listened to for any abnormal noise. Then the yoke was to be replaced. If the lube was low and the case made bad noises then a new transfer case was to be installed.

Well some dealers decided that all transfer cases needed replacing. This is what caused the supply of transfer cases to dry up. A number of these left the shop with no oil – this happened a lot. When you take your perfectly running car in for the recall and then your new transfer case locks up within a mile of the dealership, it can and did break other stuff. In other cases the mechanic would say the transfer was fine when it really was toast. What most cars needed was the yoke replaced and the lube topped up. This seemed to rarely happen.

Then people started experiencing leaks with the new better yoke installed. And since the yoke was replaced under a recall it was warrantied for the life of the car. Try explaining that to a stubborn service manager whose computer says the recall was already done.

So, you think you want a recall. Are you sure?