Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Should Mitsu recall the evo transfer case?
Yes
77.39%
No
22.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think Mitsubishi should place a recall on their transfer cases?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think Mitsubishi should place a recall on their transfer cases?

Since I have an 03 VIII and my warranty is out, my transfer case just started whining on me tonight. This means that I will have to either send it out to shep or TRE to have reshimed with new parts or buy a new tcase all together.

I'm just wondering how many peoples transfer cases have gone out on them prematurely since I have only 8057 miles on my car and it has been babied its entire running life.

If we get enough people together on this, we should be able to force mitsubishi to activate a recall since they have had such a bad past with legalities surrounding their tcase designs.

You may or may not know that Mitsubishi has faced class action suits for their earlier generation talon/eclipse/laser series models. Their are incidents where people have died since the tcase locked up on them due to a faulty rear seal causing the tcase to lose fluid leading to the eventual failure and seizure of the part. Goin 60mph and having all four wheels lock is a scary scary thought.

I think that it is a serious and neglegent act for Mitsubishi to overlook this design flaw and not instate a recall. Mitsu you get two thumbs down.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with you 110%. my friends 05 evo the transfer case went 3 times and mitsubishi said it was driver error. i think it is a bunch of bs..they def should be on recall cuz i have plenty of buddy's that there t-case went on them and they are driving like and average person with about 20k miles...it is such garbage how they can produce a well performing car with a piece a junk t-case...unbelieveable
Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recall I have no problems with my ix mr but I'm afraid to launch knowing we got **** cases, so civics are challenging me to launch and I can't wtf is this
Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've seen enough of these cars with good and bad TC's to know a majority of the problems are due to driver error or abuse..

That doesn't say there isn't an inherant design flaw or problem, but there are 30,000 evo's in The USA at this point, and I don't think there are more than 10% with problems but most can be directly attributed to abuse.

The evo community online is a really poor cross-section of the entire Evo community, since there are far more cars out there that aren't represented here. IF you wen't by this site, 80% of all Evo's are modified, when thats just not true.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:10 PM

Mine went on my 03 on my way to work today. I car has never see the track, has never been launched, and I was just cruising at 75mph when it just started whining out of nowhere, no signs of problems until today. Now it makes a terrible clicking noise as I drive it at any speed also. Still on the stock clutch which grabs fine, so I'm going to so it's definately not from abuse, the car only has 13k miles on it.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:33 PM

it is recommend to swap TC fluids every 10k miles or 8K if driven hard....
Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver_03
Mine went on my 03 on my way to work today. I car has never see the track, has never been launched, and I was just cruising at 75mph when it just started whining out of nowhere, no signs of problems until today. Now it makes a terrible clicking noise as I drive it at any speed also. Still on the stock clutch which grabs fine, so I'm going to so it's definately not from abuse, the car only has 13k miles on it.
Maybe if you were not in boost all day this wouldnt have happened...Sorry had too :-P
Old Dec 8, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I've seen enough of these cars with good and bad TC's to know a majority of the problems are due to driver error or abuse..

That doesn't say there isn't an inherant design flaw or problem, but there are 30,000 evo's in The USA at this point, and I don't think there are more than 10% with problems but most can be directly attributed to abuse.

The evo community online is a really poor cross-section of the entire Evo community, since there are far more cars out there that aren't represented here. IF you wen't by this site, 80% of all Evo's are modified, when thats just not true.
Well then answer me this. How do I have well over 100 documented track passes with countless street launches on a single bone stock first gen talon transfer case? How is it that John Shepard has gone 8's on the same tcase and countless japanese tuners have ran the Evo I-VII tcases without these problems.

The answer is in that the USDM tcase is a first shot by Mitsu. Had they used a tried and true design from the VII or a previous Evo edition, I'd be willing to bet my left arm this wouldn't be happening. Therefore, it is, as most USDM parts, watered down and not well designed.

Personally, my car has just a hair over 8k on the OD and I baby the christ out of it. My R1 and 1G are for my redheaded step child abuse, not my baby. And, if you dig into this a bit, you will find that this problem is effecting "normal" drivers quite a bit as well. And on that note, stating that abuse is the cause of failure in many instances is basically an argument that it is poorly designed. Using modified Evo's as a benchmark is probably the best way to speak of a components reliability. Hence the 4G63's stout reputation-Oh look I can put 30psi through stock internals--COOL!!!. The fact that these tcases aren't standing up to the modded Evo's ability to make power shows that it is inherantly flawed in it's design as being THE weak link in the drivetrain.

My concern truely lies in the fact that with it failing at such low milage on cars that are barely beaten on, in conjunction with the fact that the tcase is intertwined with all three differentials in the car, there is a warrented concern for safety. If your tcase decides to seize at 65 mph on the expressway and your center diff, front diff and rear diff all lock up therefore locking all four wheels......well, lets just say I hope youre wearing your sealtbelt.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 05:16 PM

Oops, forgot to mention. If you are serious about trying to incite change then please take the three minutes to file a formal complaint with the NHTSA letting them know about the safety issues and poor design quality. If enough voices shout, the NHTSA wil definately listen! They have quite the political leverage to get big companies to make changes, at the very least a TSB!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Complaint form
Old Dec 9, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

soo im bout to get an 03 evo 8 and ive had nightmares that this is going to happen to me...lol but first thing i want to do is change the TC fluid...wat fluid do u guys recomend????
Old Dec 9, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
56k no whines or moans at all. Shifts like butter. Not abused. Maintenence is your friend.

I cant wait for my Tranny and TC to go. It just wont. Shep or TRE will get my buissnes when the time comes

I have to agree with Jack most blow TC's and Trannys are caused by abuse.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

I think Shep paid mitsubishi millions to make our tcases and trannys suck, just so he could rebuild them

jk
Old Dec 10, 2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lasersleeper
Oops, forgot to mention. If you are serious about trying to incite change then please take the three minutes to file a formal complaint with the NHTSA letting them know about the safety issues and poor design quality. If enough voices shout, the NHTSA wil definately listen! They have quite the political leverage to get big companies to make changes, at the very least a TSB!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Complaint form

Sumbitted.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

First of all, congrats on that low mileage. I wish I could have done that with mine (I initially wanted to),but it's far too fun to not drive it all the time.

I'm afraid I can't agree with this post either. Although I have heard rumors of some Evos with transfer cases/diffs/trannies being sold with low fluid initially from the dealership, I've never had a transfer case problem in my 58k miles of driving and racing my car. Only time I've seen one go out is when the guy kept dumping the clutch to launch it.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will only recall them if someone is injured or killed AND you can prove it called the problem.

Quick Reply: Do you think Mitsubishi should place a recall on their transfer cases?