Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

11.2 @ 120 on the stock turbo, but I want more. What next?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
???^
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Well, the external wastegate will offer very little, the turbo is really out of its efficiency range and is already running out of flow.. I have a little strap that I devised that can lock a stock wastegate closed without welding it.

With all this controversy, I am almost tempted to sponsor mike's car so he can get into the 10's on the stock turbo.

I'm also severely dyslexic, and can understand why he has asked someone else to post his thoughts for him.

Also, if he feels his BOV isn't staying closed, I would suggest trying a positive seal valve such as the HKS SSQV, or using a heavily springed TIAL valve, only the TIAL valve will make the car surge badly with the kind of spring tension required to stay closed over 25psi.

I would also suggest revolver cams, I'm running 280s, but when I get my new head I'm swapping revolvers in, and a ported throttlebody and intake manifold at the level of boost he's running it'll help.

Honestly, I'm really suggesting all the stuff that I had done to my car that let me get my car making the power it did on the stock 9.8 turbo.

I DEFINITELY would suggest some sort of blowthrough MAF setup.. I might have a spare setup that will work well with this combination.
I would agree, But... When a guy is looking to best the stock turbo record I say anything goes. I would not recommend it either but it will help ensure there is no boost lost thru the bov. Curts time happened thru careful planning, execution, and pushing every part for what it was worth.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
HOWEVER, It would probably be a better idea to use one than not.. Also notice that picture is of an aftermarket turbo, which probably has an anti-surge cover, and being large and slow-spooling to begin with, so it would be at a disadvantage to run a BOV in drag racing as it would take a long time to build boost up again.
You could always do what Porsche used to do and mount it on the compressor cover or right after. One of my friends experimented with this on his honda, keeping the BOV as far awy from the TB as possible and then recirculating it as well. The air has already been cooled and stacked up, why evacuate it and start over?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have it somewhat easy, if I needed to, I can pull the line off my BOV and it won't open no matter what.. But I'm not so sure I would ever do that.