Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

looking to switch from 6 speed to 5 speed. should i go through Shep for this?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking to switch from 6 speed to 5 speed. should i go through Shep for this?

ok, the 6 speed in my evo ix mr broke..... and i have read in several post that the 6 speed is weak. so i guess im going to switch to a 5 speed. can anyone help me out in telling me what all i need to do to do this? and a price quote? cause i honestly have no idea what i need to do. if you read this shep. i will probably do this through you, so if you could help me out. thanks
Old Dec 8, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I just did the same thing and have an awesome Shep-built 5spd ready to endure the rigors of my future racing plans. He knows all the parts to get for the conversion and where to get them.

How did your 6spd break? As a whole, it's not weak - only the tiny 4-6 gears are weak due to being so small with small teeth.

Shep doesn't mess around on forums, so just give him a call and let him know you want to do what Warrtalon (Clayton) did, and he'll take care of the rest. PM me if you need his contact info and can't find his site on Google.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 06:44 PM

something happened to the 3rd and 4th gear. got really hard to engage and disengage, and then something broke leaveing me with no 3rd or 4th gear at all. i had the trainy taken apart and they found out that the shift coller and the shift fork broke and when it broke it damage some of the gears. so i just figured that i would switch to the 5 speed after reading all the problems people have been haveing with the 6 speed.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 06:49 PM

i found his site. thanks
Old Dec 8, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Let me know how it goes. If you have questions or need help outside of Shep's help, then PM me here or IM me via AIM.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by armympjch
something happened to the 3rd and 4th gear. got really hard to engage and disengage, and then something broke leaveing me with no 3rd or 4th gear at all. i had the trainy taken apart and they found out that the shift coller and the shift fork broke and when it broke it damage some of the gears. so i just figured that i would switch to the 5 speed after reading all the problems people have been haveing with the 6 speed.
same thing happened to my 6-speed... twice.
the slider overheats, warps and then binds on the hubs. you really must have been forcing it into 3rd or 4th to get the shift fork to break though. :shock:

i just did a 5-speed swap as well using a shep built trans. that trans is bulletproof.
you will be very happy with it i'm sure.

good luck
Old Dec 9, 2006, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Smack, enjoying yours? I'm loving mine and can't wait to race it...
Old Dec 9, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Did you guys have any electrical issues with the conversion? When I was up in D.C. at Atlantic Motor Sports they had swapped an MR drivetrain into an RS but they had a few codes in the ECU...something about it not reconizing the different trans...
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

I only got one from not having the right speed sensor harness. Shep and I didn't know that harness had to be changed - they are not interchangeable between the 5spd and 6spd. So, I had to drive a few days with no speedo or reverse lights, and that triggered a code. Once I put on the new harness, I got no more codes.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:43 AM

This almost makes me regret getting the MR, but its okay my MR looks like an RS
Old Dec 9, 2006, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Don't regret it unless you plan to road race frequently, imo.