Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 Turbo Flow n Actuator

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 Turbo Flow n Actuator

Hi guys,

Really appreciate if anybody can share some info.

1) What is the Evo 9 Stock Turbo flow rate?
2) Compared to Evo 8 MR?
3)What is the rating for the stock actuator?(psi/bar)

Was wondering if worth upgrading my Evo8 turbo to Evo 9.Understand that the 9 has more flow with its bigger housing.Friend selling real cheap.Any performance gain if any?

Thanks Guys!!

Cheers.

Last edited by thercpilot; Dec 10, 2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thercpilot
Hi guys,......Was wondering if worth upgrading my Evo8 turbo to Evo 9.Understand that the 9 has more flow with its bigger housing.Friend selling real cheap.Any performance gain if any?
Sorry, don't know the flow rates for you offhand, but would recommend buying the IX turbo especially at the cheap price. It should give you 15-20 WHP over your VIII turbo especially if your Asian Market Evo came equipped with the 9.8 turbo exhaust housing. Go for it. And, don't forget to get the compressor discharge tube as well as the oil and coolant lines from him while you're at it.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 01:52 PM

Hi Sparky,

Thanks for your info.

Is it true that the Evo 9 turbo is similiar to the 2835?Perhaps just a tad smaller?Or wud a 2835 be a better upgrade? I dont intend to go anything bigger like GT30..

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the evo 9 turbo a ball bearing turbo?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bobrick
Is the evo 9 turbo a ball bearing turbo?
nope.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by thercpilot
Hi guys,

Really appreciate if anybody can share some info.

1) What is the Evo 9 Stock Turbo flow rate?
2) Compared to Evo 8 MR?
3)What is the rating for the stock actuator?(psi/bar)

Was wondering if worth upgrading my Evo8 turbo to Evo 9.Understand that the 9 has more flow with its bigger housing.Friend selling real cheap.Any performance gain if any?

Thanks Guys!!

Cheers.
bump for a flow rate.. i really couldn't find it
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did a little bit of searching for you but couldn't find any definitive flow numbers on the IX turbo. The VIII turbo is listed as flowing 38 to 39 lbs./min. The IX turbo apparently flows just a wee bit better than an VIII turbo does.

The IX turbo supposedly flows somewhere in the 39 to 42 lbs./min. range. I couldn't find a more exact flow rate for the IX turbo than that. No source that I found gave a precise flow rate for the IX turbo. Bummer, huh?

I even looked over on LancerRegister. They have a sticky thread listing most Evo turbos. but, it does not clearly distinguish between the VIII and IX turbos. There are a couple of threads here on EvoM concerning the IX and the VIII. Again the writers agree on 39 lbs/min for the VIII turbo, but they kinda fudge on the IX's flow rate. It seems kind like an educated guess or an extrapolation at best. Very imprecise.

So, you are left wondering. It is common knowledge that the IX turbo produces more power than the VIII turbo. No one will argue with you on that score. The VIII turbo may have been a better torque producer however. At least that argument can be made.

The only real difference between the two turbos is in compressor housing design. Well the IX has an improved compressor housing design and a different backing plate. The compressor wheel however, is identical on both turbos. As is the turbine wheel design.

In general, the compressor wheel determines compressor flow rate, and both turbos use the identical wheel. Like I mentioned the main difference is the IX's improved compressor housing design. Given the same wheel, the more efficient housing alone should make only a small difference in flow.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 25, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
I did a little bit of searching for you but couldn't find any definitive flow numbers on the IX turbo. The VIII turbo is listed as flowing 38 to 39 lbs./min. The IX turbo apparently flows just a wee bit better than an VIII turbo does.

The IX turbo supposedly flows somewhere in the 39 to 42 lbs./min. range. I couldn't find a more exact flow rate for the IX turbo than that. No source that I found gave a precise flow rate for the IX turbo. Bummer, huh?

I even looked over on LancerRegister. They have a sticky thread listing most Evo turbos. but, it does not clearly distinguish between the VIII and IX turbos. There are a couple of threads here on EvoM concerning the IX and the VIII. Again the writers agree on 39 lbs/min for the VIII turbo, but they kinda fudge on the IX's flow rate. It seems kind like an educated guess or an extrapolation at best. Very imprecise.

So, you are left wondering. It is common knowledge that the IX turbo produces more power than the VIII turbo. No one will argue with you on that score. The VIII turbo may have been a better torque producer however. At least that argument can be made.

The only real difference between the two turbos is in compressor housing design. Well the IX has an improved compressor housing design and a different backing plate. The compressor wheel however, is identical on both turbos. As is the turbine wheel design.

In general, the compressor wheel determines compressor flow rate, and both turbos use the identical wheel. Like I mentioned the main difference is the IX's improved compressor housing design. Given the same wheel, the more efficient housing alone should make only a small difference in flow.
thanks for that - the best i could find was an unofficial 610cfm, which roughly translated to 41-42, and falls in line with the info you said
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flow rates in this link.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/en...low-rates.html

N