Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

E85 Ready!! with style :)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I find the "anti-E85" guys to be humorous.. Alot of people are either closed minded, or afraid of the stuff..

Anyway, I love the twin pump setup, so I'd like to be updated on your twin pump assemblies.

Only I wouldn't worry about ethanol having a problem with our cars, and aluminum in general. Ethanol and E85 are nowhere near as corrosive as people think, in fact, it won't really do damage to any of the commonly used materials in our cars where as Methanol which is what everyone seems to confuse it with is VERY corrosive.
Agreed.

We have a few guys using it here in vegas and they are making good power.
I'm all for going to different fuel sources .
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything to keep my money out of OPECs hands. I'd rather give it to an American farmer.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor

I was kicking around the idea of running E85 in the race car. i know it makes great power and actually burns cooler than racing fuel.

I am sure you have looked into what the materials need to be so i am going to ask. wont E85 deteriorate all plastics? including the bottom of those walboro fuel pumps, and the lines for the return? I heard you need to switch all the rubber to neoprean?

btw nice twin setup. i have one drawn up on CAD right now but for use with denso pumps.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

is the "85" part of E85 its octane rating? If no then what is it's octane rating?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
is the "85" part of E85 its octane rating? If no then what is it's octane rating?

85% ethanol 15% gasoline
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
roughly 106

note you must run 30% more fuel because of the density of ethanol. So its not perfect but its sure beats race gas prices.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

if the price only came down a half buck more itd blow pump out of the water to compensate for the mileage issue
Old Dec 14, 2006, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Nice! Up here in Michigan I have E85 for less then $2.00/gal all over the place. I have been thinking of having BR do a E85 tune when he puts in the AEM.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 04:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I find the "anti-E85" guys to be humorous.. Alot of people are either closed minded, or afraid of the stuff..

Anyway, I love the twin pump setup, so I'd like to be updated on your twin pump assemblies.

Only I wouldn't worry about ethanol having a problem with our cars, and aluminum in general. Ethanol and E85 are nowhere near as corrosive as people think, in fact, it won't really do damage to any of the commonly used materials in our cars where as Methanol which is what everyone seems to confuse it with is VERY corrosive.
I have a few ready to ship in raw aluminum. Anodize will ship in a week. thanks guys
Old Dec 14, 2006, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

I'd interested in having an E85 setup with the xede. With the flip of a switch, you can move between 91/93 octane maps and E85. How cool is that!?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good, what kind of prices are we looking at?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 06:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FullBlown
I have a few ready to ship in raw aluminum. Anodize will ship in a week. thanks guys
PM me info and pricing, I'd like to get one for my car as soon as possible.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 06:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GregGSC
I was kicking around the idea of running E85 in the race car. i know it makes great power and actually burns cooler than racing fuel.

I am sure you have looked into what the materials need to be so i am going to ask. wont E85 deteriorate all plastics? including the bottom of those walboro fuel pumps, and the lines for the return? I heard you need to switch all the rubber to neoprean?

btw nice twin setup. i have one drawn up on CAD right now but for use with denso pumps.
there is no natural rubber used any longer, and the plastics and synthetic flexible rubber like products used are synthetic and ethanol compatible. Remember, for the past 5 years, our cars have had at least 10% ethanol and as much as 30% running through them... The parts were designed to tolerate Ethanol. AFAIK most of the machined or cast plastic parts are Delrin or Nylon, which should be very Ethanol tolerant.

The truth is, I really wouldn't worry about any OEM parts having a problem, And I'm sure Walbro and Denso aftermarket pumps are already ethanol tolerant because their "OEM Quality"

But, you have to break a few eggs to make an omlette.. There are very few long term studies on this stuff on conversion vehicles built after gasoline switched to having a 10% or so ethanol content.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 06:15 AM
EvoM Guru

I see two of the three connections on the setup, AN Fittings obviously and a wiring assembly..

Will there be any plug and play fittings and wiring harness? or will the lines and wiring have to be adapted? Also, I see only 2 of the 3 lines, there's a secondary pickup on the other side of the tank that I don't see attached.

I don't want to resort to dropping the tank to retrofit some stuff since those lines and wires arent the easiest to get at in that location.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice work, though I think its a shame you made something so pretty only to be hidden away.

Quick Reply: E85 Ready!! with style :)