Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

E85 Ready!! with style :)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
hahaha this post made me laugh.

why would your AFR be off the chart? E-85 = 9.8:1 a/f ratio. whats the big deal?

now heres the kicker that made me laugh...

you said, "if we run out of reg gas, i'm gonna run race gas or alky"

you are aware that race gas and regular gas come from the same source right? if we run out of reg gas, you're not going to get any race gas either.

and whats even funnier is that you said you'd run alky... alky IS E-85!!!!! E-85 contains 85% ethanol. alky is either denatured alcohol (ethanol) or methanol, which is also an alcohol fuel.
That's why I have him (Mr. Martinez) on ignore. 10,000+ members, and he's the only one. Go figure.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Dec 15, 2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 03:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by joeymia
I wonder if the process for making ethanol creates more waste for the enviroment. Anyone got any info on that?
The waste products of the production are things that get used for producing Feed, packaging and building materials, etc.. Much of it that cannot be used, can be incinerated cleanly to generate power or heat, etc..

The current cycle of production still has to use fossil fuels at different levels, which is why the energy yeild is lower, once the production cycle uses the products of biodiesel and ethanol production, it should become more productive. It becomes a chicken and egg type thing, but once the cycle has begun and you can close the loop on the system, then it becomes more efficient and less wasteful.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My biggest complaint would be the lack of energy density requiring more fuel consumption to achieve the same power.

Dont get me wrong, I like the thought of govt subsidized race gas, but the cruising range of the evo is bad enough as is on a trip, much less driving around the city for extended periods, getting 30% less miles to a tank is annoying.

That said I look forward to playing with it when we have it here. Maybe you could easily load one of 2 different maps and fill your car up accordingly.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

The sooner Florida gets E85, the better. The only places that have it right now are govt airfields.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FullBlown
Well E85 is the future so, I figured what the hell ,why not try it. The twin pumps are ready to go. What do you guys think about purple?? haha. Incase some of you guys are not familiar with E85. E85 is 85% Ethanol and 15% Fuel (in most cases by the way). Ethanol is know to corrode aluminum unless anodized so i went ahead and anodized the piece, along with all the pieces that are going to be for sale (raw aluminum is available too). I will have other color choices as well. Well, Im going to be installing this in the evo very soon and hopefully tune it on some E85. Sorry for taking so long on this but putting design into the patent process took some time just waiting on approval now but atleast its submited. Ill keep you guys posted with the dyno progress :biggrin:

LJ
i like it
Old Dec 14, 2006, 05:07 PM
Account Disabled

Thats hot man.!!
Old Dec 14, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
roughly 106

note you must run 30% more fuel because of the density of ethanol. So its not perfect but its sure beats race gas prices.
So why not just run alky and pump... and still get good gas milage

I hate the sh*t cause it kills mileage and tunes need to be stupid rich

My Evo drinks gas right now, I don't need it anyworse

Last edited by vwjeff; Dec 14, 2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 06:12 PM

Ever notice everyone who's "anti-ethanol" has no experience with it whatsoever?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nolimits1320
Ever notice everyone who's "anti-ethanol" has no experience with it whatsoever?
They just don't get it.. Its more than higher octane, more than worse gas mileage, more than just alot of things....
Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff

and tunes need to be stupid rich
says who?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
I wonder if the process for making ethanol creates more waste for the enviroment. Anyone got any info on that?
Just C02 and left over byproducts for animal feed

Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by thatguy
Just C02 and left over byproducts for animal feed

Not to mention it's a renewable resource, among other things.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 07:27 AM
Account Disabled

Im not going to run on just e85 but test it on c16 aswell. I think this setup will be enough to supply over 700hp for sure.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
VW, you are correct and with anything you have to make sure you get both sides of the story. The government right now is pushing E85 as "green" friendly fuel. What they don't tell you is that it SHOULD cost less as you are going to be using quite a bit more fuel to go the same distance. This friendly fuel while producing less emissions isn't the end of the story. From the research I have been doing the emissions are less BUT you burn more and it seems to me that it just about equals out. You burn more so you end up producing the same amount of emissions by the time it is said and done. Same with the fuel, it costs less, you burn more of it and the cost savings just isn't there because you can't go as far on a gallon of it.

What is interesting is the octane and cooling effects of the E85 and the performance that is possible by running it. That's what makes it interesting to me. If can buy a fuel for $2 a gallon that will allow me to run 30 psi and some decent timing numbers then it is a winner from that standpoint.

For a daily driver that wasn't something I needed to have a lot of power in, I wouldn't even consider it, I don't think the benefits are that high. The gas stations carrying it aren't that plentiful and a map change would be required on a trip and when you switched maps you would have to be very certain the ratio of E85 to the new straight gas was something you were fairly closely tuned for.

I have a big build coming in very soon that is going to be set up for E85. I'll be posting results from this particular build as it comes together.

I can get out of this thread if you like Fullblown, I realize I have commented about the E85 maybe more than you'd like me to in your thread. Just say the word.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 08:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
VW, you are correct and with anything you have to make sure you get both sides of the story. The government right now is pushing E85 as "green" friendly fuel. What they don't tell you is that it SHOULD cost less as you are going to be using quite a bit more fuel to go the same distance. This friendly fuel while producing less emissions isn't the end of the story. From the research I have been doing the emissions are less BUT you burn more and it seems to me that it just about equals out. You burn more so you end up producing the same amount of emissions by the time it is said and done. Same with the fuel, it costs less, you burn more of it and the cost savings just isn't there because you can't go as far on a gallon of it.

What is interesting is the octane and cooling effects of the E85 and the performance that is possible by running it. That's what makes it interesting to me. If can buy a fuel for $2 a gallon that will allow me to run 30 psi and some decent timing numbers then it is a winner from that standpoint.

For a daily driver that wasn't something I needed to have a lot of power in, I wouldn't even consider it, I don't think the benefits are that high. The gas stations carrying it aren't that plentiful and a map change would be required on a trip and when you switched maps you would have to be very certain the ratio of E85 to the new straight gas was something you were fairly closely tuned for.

I have a big build coming in very soon that is going to be set up for E85. I'll be posting results from this particular build as it comes together.

I can get out of this thread if you like Fullblown, I realize I have commented about the E85 maybe more than you'd like me to in your thread. Just say the word.

No no, i have no problem with it. Its good to see other guys experimenting with the stuff on the evos.

Quick Reply: E85 Ready!! with style :)