Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

E85 Ready!! with style :)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have decided to try a E85 setup/tune on my EvoVIII this summer. I am going to keep the "stock" turbo (05MR16G). I find myself running 100oct more than 91, and at the end of the month I add up my fuel bill and.........
I could go with a meth kit and get simular results, but I rather support a US farmer then a terrorist (so to speak).
For about the same price as a meth kit ($500) the conversion will be close
1. 1000cc injectors ($300)
2. FP ($100-200) unless I get a bigger turbo then the Full blown pump
There are 5 stations here in vegas that have E85, one 3 miles from home
the cooling effects would be nice for our dessert climate
and lastly, I can tell others honestly that I'm running "pump" gas, no N20 or meth injection LOL
I just have to use the methenol term, cause I would be lying if I say "alky" injection since the injectors will be doing that.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenchy4g63
Am I confused here? On VP's website it lists the motor octane of MS109 at 101, Streetblaze 103 at 100, I always thought that was the accual octane rating of reasearch fuels. I guess when I was thinking of the properties of E85, I was thinking if it's around 105 octane, and has the additional cooling effect. It would be more or less similar to running MS109 AND a meth injection. Maybe I'm getting a little too excited about the power potential of this "pump gas"

For pump gas we don't go by motor octane or research octane here in the good old USA, we go by what is called the anti knock index octane (AKI). AKI octane is the average of the motor octane and research octane ratings. In other words, your pump gas 93 octane is 93 AKI. On average in the US that means 97 RON and 89 MON ratings. Doing the math (97+89)/2= 93 AKI octane. What you were told is true, the number that actally makes the most difference performance wise is the motor octane number. What sucks about the AKI system is that two different fuels, one that is 99 RON 87 MON and another fuel that is 95 RON 91 MON will both be labled 93 octane here even though the second example is actually a higher quality fuel. So, even though the motor octane number is more important, (and I use it when comparing race fuel to other race fuel) since the MON number is not available on pump gas when I do a comparison between pump gas and race gas I convert the race gas octane over into AKI octane numbers if they provide enough information to do so.

Keith