Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Flooded the Evo....Please help.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flooded the Evo....Please help.

Yesterday during the most amount of rain we have seen here, I drove my car through a huge puddle during traffic. Stupid me I know. Well it took me about an hour to move it 30 feet to a parking spot to get it out of the way. IT would not rev above 2k rpm if it even got to that. I don't know what got screwed up but so far I cleaned out my intercooler and piping. Everything was covered with grass. It idles alright but it does sputter and spit black smoke when I get on boost. I am going to be taking off my intake. Any help with what the damage might be will help.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're lucky the car runs at all.

There's a ton of things you could have damaged/destroyed, especially if you sucked water/grass/god knows what else through your intake track. MAF, Turbo, and Engine are all suspect as far as I'm concerned.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

any debris would have gotten stuck at the intercooler, i would carefully inspect the maf to see if the karman sensor was damaged, that could be why it's not reading correctly above 2k rpm.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:30 PM

It would have totalled for what happened to my SRT-4 sucked up water. My tranny, engine had water in it..total overhaul bottomline. Sorry to hear that. Call your insurance and that will be all covered. By the way check if you have GAP insurance. Peace!
Old Dec 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I just hope my insurance will cover this.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hydrolock...break engine
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Would GAP insurance cover this? Cuz when I got mine I thot GAP was just for theft...
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Hydrolock happened to one of the guys in our club. Warranty covered it but the car was stock. Your insurance should cover it though. Good luck...
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I just hope my insurance will cover this.
I highly doubt it unless you modify your story. You want the insurance to pay for your stupid decision? Why couldn't you avoid the water? You just caused your evo, well, who knows what kind of problems, from an incident which could have been so easily avoided (it seems). your evo = never the same.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
the intake on the evo's are at about head light level if not a bit higher, i'm sure nothing happened to your car man. all the issues that you saw with the car not revving past 2k probably had something to do with the alternator getting SUNK entireley in water. what i would do if u brought me ur car to check it out, do a compression test, check the plugs, take the alternator off, blow air through it LOTS OF IT, re-lubricate the bushings on it (if it even needs to be blown out) just to get grass, dirt out of it. u want ur ignition system to get its full amperage from the alternator. while the alternator was sunk, ur ignition system couldnt fire propperly past whichever level ur revs were beeing held at.

and of course, the common sense stuff, intake pipes, compressor housing, rest of IC pipes. check all that. i'm sure ur cars fine, u probably messed up a intake temp sensor or the maff, maybe d alternator. or NOTHING AT ALL GOT DAMAGED.

enjoy your car
Eddie Rosado
Old Dec 15, 2006, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

why the h&ll are you "getting on boost" and blowing black smoke when your car won't rev past 2K??????

I doubt any debris made it past your air filter if you're still using the stock air box. No need to check the MAF or the intercooler for pluggage until you check your filter. With any luck, maybe you just sucked a bunch of water in that's lying in the intercooler causing a major restriction and making you run rich. The last thing you want to do is "get into boost" and suck/blow all that water into the engine. Pop a lower intercooler hose and make sure it's not full of water.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
why the h&ll are you "getting on boost" and blowing black smoke when your car won't rev past 2K??????

I doubt any debris made it past your air filter if you're still using the stock air box. No need to check the MAF or the intercooler for pluggage until you check your filter. With any luck, maybe you just sucked a bunch of water in that's lying in the intercooler causing a major restriction and making you run rich. The last thing you want to do is "get into boost" and suck/blow all that water into the engine. Pop a lower intercooler hose and make sure it's not full of water.
I tried boosting it after it dried out. Doesn't drive too bad and goes over 2k if you would have taken your time to read this thread instead of open your mouth.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I tried boosting it after it dried out. Doesn't drive too bad and goes over 2k if you would have taken your time to read this thread instead of open your mouth.
I read it, show me where you boosted "after" it dried out, and show me where it "rev'd" beyond 2K.

I took my time, you should have done the same BEFORE you drove your car through standing water. And I didn't open my mouth, just typed on the keyboard
Old Dec 15, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

I said at the time when it was submerged it wouldn't go beyond 2k. When I was trying to get it out of the water. I didn't drive through the water on purpose. It is called very heavy rain and my vision wasn't that great. I only saw the big truck driving next to me. Between his splashing and the hard rain I couldn't see it. I was on the side of the deeper spot. I just checked my intake and it didn't seem to wet. MY maf was very dirty though. Going to clean that out. I didn't see any water in teh intercooler when I took those apart earlier too. I am going to clean the maf tomorrow and check it out.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Any updates on this? Hope everything worked out.

Quick Reply: Flooded the Evo....Please help.