Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why you should not buy a Megan DP.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2006, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why you should not buy a Megan DP.

If you have a IX DO NOT buy/install the Megan DP. I installed mine with a bit of room to spare between the ACD and the DP and from bumps etc. my car has sustained the damage pictured. It is the flex section that causes it and as far as I can tell there is no way to install it to prevent this from happening (other than using a spacer). I will be buying the Buschur DP which is made for the IX and I would recommend that if you have bought this DP you take a good look at your ACD...
Attached Thumbnails Why you should not buy a Megan DP.-megan.jpg  
Old Dec 17, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

cant really tell what Im looking at...is the x-case melted???
Old Dec 17, 2006, 05:38 PM

Nope. Notice the X-cross pattern. The flex section is eating through the metal of the case...
Old Dec 17, 2006, 06:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been posting this same quote I have saved on my desk top damn near since the IX was released. Only modifying it to adjust to the projected release date of a downpipe that WILL fit, and is ACTUALLY MADE FOR A IX! However, everyone SEEMS to know better than me, the guy who talks to Megan DAILY!!! You know, those vendors who are more interested in your money than what is right for your car. The ones who keep selling you guys 03-04 downpipes for your IX's. Well, I've about lost it with this, and say they are crooks, low people selling you whatever will get your money today.

The below is my standard reply to anyone wanting a XI downpipe...

The 05-06' downpipes are still on back order due to a redesign. Any vendor selling an 05-06 owner a Megan or Megan “type” downpipe (regardless of company) right now is selling a 03-04 fitment. There have been repeated fitment problems with these on 05's and up. It will be late December, early January before there will one available from Megan for 05-06 Evos.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 03:34 PM

Guess people cant wait and figure they know better.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

****, so your saying my megan downpipe could **** up my car?
Old Dec 18, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

what kind of damage are we talking?
Old Dec 18, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
I've been posting this same quote I have saved on my desk top damn near since the IX was released. Only modifying it to adjust to the projected release date of a downpipe that WILL fit, and is ACTUALLY MADE FOR A IX! However, everyone SEEMS to know better than me, the guy who talks to Megan DAILY!!! You know, those vendors who are more interested in your money than what is right for your car. The ones who keep selling you guys 03-04 downpipes for your IX's. Well, I've about lost it with this, and say they are crooks, low people selling you whatever will get your money today.

The below is my standard reply to anyone wanting a XI downpipe...
I believe you'd be very pleased to know that Invidia makes a VERY nice DP that works flawlessly on the evo 9.

BTW sorry to the original poster, that stinks that happened to you. I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks,
Steve
GnV Motorsports
Old Dec 18, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

I dont know about the other brands listed in this thread but I do have several experiences with the DC downpipe on IXs. The only thing I did to make them fit is put a very small dent in the pipe, about the size of a quarter and they fit fine. good luck with your situation man
Old Dec 18, 2006, 04:53 PM

As of this point I don't think that the damage is internal I think that it is just to the exterior of the case. I didn't jump on this with the knowledge that the DP would do damage to the ACD. At any rate I will be replacing it with the stocker tomorrow and installing the Buschur DP as soon as it comes in.

I would hope that since it is common knowledge that there is a fitment issue with these on the 05s and 06s that it would be made sticky...