Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO Green/20gLT information and new dyno charts.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
EVO Green/20gLT information and new dyno charts.

Dyno'd yet another EVO Green/20gLT turbo today. Customer is Eric has our Stages 1-4 on the car. He is running an AEM EMS and when he installed the new turbo decided to upgrade the injectors to 1,000 cc's so he would not have to change them again for a larger turbo if he decided to go that route.

The car has been on the dyno before. Last time it was on the dyno it had stock injectors and the stock 2005 turbo on it. The car has a SS 02 housing on it. The exhaust manifold was and still is unported. The turbine housing on his stock turbo and the turbine housing on his new Green/LT turbo is also not ported.

So the only change he made to make more HP this time compared to last time is the turbo itself. No additional port work, he has always had a 10.5 housing on the car and the manifold remains unported. This is a test of the turbo ONLY as it was the only change that could effect horsepower.

So with the stock turbo this car was damn strong to begin with. It made about the most I have seen from a stock turbo set up.

On 94 octane with no alky on the stock turbo (car doesn't have an alky kit on it) 347 whp and 307 ft lbs of torque. This is very good.

On C16 on the stock turbo the car made 374 whp and 372 ft lbs of torque, that is amazing.

After changing the turbo the car made 367 whp and 310 ft lbs of torque on 94 octane . That's a 20 whp improvement. The torque is deceiving. Eric's car is having a boost control issue. It is running MORE boost in the mid range than it is at 3500 rpm. The car was too hot to check the pre-load on the actuator so he is coming back. The boost would hit 18 psi at 3200 rpm and then go up to 23 psi around 5800 rpm and end up at 21-22 psi at 7,000 rpm. BTW, THIS IS ON THE STOCK EVO9 ACTUATOR. So the the clowns that think you need the HD actuator to hold any boost at redline, this is once again proof of the reason we sell and use the stock EVO9 actuator. The HD is for pump/alky or race gas use only.

Here is the dyno sheet on pump gas. You can see that the curve dips down and then climbs back up, that is the boost control issue I was explaining. You will notice in the next dyno graph that is gone with us adjusting the boost control on the race gas.

So now for the really good stuff.

As strong as this car was before on C16 it really shined today with the turbo change.

With the new Green/LT turbo we made 410 whp and 400 ft lbs of torque. With the EVO9 actuator we would peak at 33 psi and hold 27.5 at 7,000 rpm.

Here is the dyno sheet of before on the stock turbo compared to after with the Green/LT turbo:

It is pretty amazing looking at that chart as there is very little difference in spool up compared to stock. Peak torque happens only 500-600 rpm later. The car is hitting 20 psi at 3400 rpm. We took the car out on the street to once again get data and so I could show this customer how full of it some other critics of this turbo are. On the street the AFR's and boost were the same along with the spool up and the amount of boost the car held at redline.

Hopefully Eric will chime in later when he gets time. The car was very strong. It is amazing how much harder this turbo pulls up top than the stock unit does.

BTW, gains from stock to this were, HP=36 and torque=28.

This is impressive being as this car made very close to the highest HP/torque numbers of any stock turbo's EVO I have ever seen.

Thanks for reading.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't wait to see some time slips...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

I want one :x

Good stuff Dave!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

So if I'm reading this correctly, the AEM was on the car before the turbo upgrade?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Good **** Dave!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

The tune looks good. What AFR's are you tuning for?

So the turbo alone with -0- tunung netted an additional 20whp and 3 wtq?

And your saying you kept his 10.5 2005 hotside? Isn't the 06/IX hotside improved in some way?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

congrats. looks good. what are 400whp evo's (on your dyno) with full weight trapping at?

i really wish aem wasn't required to get to that point.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
The tune looks good. What AFR's are you tuning for?

So the turbo alone with -0- tunung netted an additional 20whp and 3 wtq?

And your saying you kept his 10.5 2005 hotside? Isn't the 06/IX hotside improved in some way?
no, the only change is that the compressor cover is larger
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
So the only change he made to make more HP this time compared to last time is the turbo itself. No additional port work, he has always had a 10.5 housing on the car and the manifold remains unported. This is a test of the turbo ONLY as it was the only change that could effect horsepower.

So with the stock turbo this car was damn strong to begin with. It made about the most I have seen from a stock turbo set up.

On 94 octane with no alky on the stock turbo (car doesn't have an alky kit on it) 347 whp and 307 ft lbs of torque. This is very good.

On C16 on the stock turbo the car made 374 whp and 372 ft lbs of torque, that is amazing.

After changing the turbo the car made 367 whp and 310 ft lbs of torque on 94 octane . That's a 20 whp improvement.

So now for the really good stuff.

As strong as this car was before on C16 it really shined today with the turbo change.

With the new Green/LT turbo we made 410 whp and 400 ft lbs of torque. With the EVO9 actuator we would peak at 33 psi and hold 27.5 at 7,000 rpm.
Dave, Thank you very much for finally posting "just a turbo swap" dyno run. I as I am sure a ton of other members here really appreciate you doing this. You have helped me make up my mind on this upgrade. Since I am like many members that will never run C16 fuel in my car this upgrade would not be for me. $1700 for a 20 whp gain is just not economically sound. Now if I were to run C16 and get those amazing 400+ numbers that would be a different story. I finally understand where you come from when you were stressing the pump gas is not worth it ideal. Thanks very much for an honest post for us pump gas guys.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its strange how one car can be so much stronger than the next with the same mods. 33PSI, that is alot of pressure I don't think I've ever seen the needle go that high. I wonder what the results would be on 100 octane.

As for the AEM I believe that is only required because the customer went extra big on the injectors. A flash should be able to accomplish the same thing. I would also guess the the "AFTER" pump gas chart was as tuned as they could get it considering the wild boost.

Too bad the boost was creeping. The LT might be able to run more boost on pump without knock. This could play a big role in the pump gas numbers.

Last edited by EVIL_EV0; Dec 19, 2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Flash should be fine!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

very nice information. thanks for the post. will be interesting to see if you can post the before/after when the boost issue is resolved.

need to see more of this a/b comparison. really shows that products should work on your own car, obviously with some varying degrees of success depending on the choice of upgrades.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Awsome post. This is the info I have been waiting to hear.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvoAnthony
Flash should be fine!
At this power with C16 he is exceeding what the stock MAF is meant to handle. I am sure some extra power can be because he has an AEM. I would suspect numbers maybe 2-5% lower with a flash.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The AEM was on this car before the Green/LT was put on.

The AFR's were in the 11.3:1 range on pump and race gas.

The stock turbo on this car had an unported 10.5 housing on it. The new Green/LT turbo we put on it was also an unported 10.5 housing. The Green/LT uses a 10.5 housing but it is machined so the larger turbine wheel can fit, the A/R does not change, it is still a 10.5 housing.

The actual increases on race gas compared to the stock turbo were 36 whp and 28 ft lbs of torque.

On pump gas, even with the boost not hitting how I wanted it to, we gained 20 whp.

Something to note. The car on RACEGAS before made 374 whp, it is now making 367 whp on straight 94 octane. When I get the boost controller worked out it should be able to make 370 whp and probably 350 ft lbs of torque. Right now the boost is just hitting too slow to allow me to get a good torque number.

We are now going to port the manifold, port the turbine housing and coat those and the 02 housing. When we re-install it all we should be able to control boost perfectly.

It was asked how fast an EVO goes with 400 whp on this dyno. It is hard to say. My RS ran 11.11 at 124 mph back in August but it was down in the 390's.

Curt's car is definetely not full weight but his car, as highly modified as it was, made 432 whp with this turbo on our dyno. He ran 10.5 at 129 mph.

I would say there is a good chance Eric can get into the 10.90's but it is going to take some excellent driving to do it and a really good 60' time.

Quick Reply: EVO Green/20gLT information and new dyno charts.