Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TURBOS GT42R Vs T51R KAI PLUS FUEL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTOPPOUZI
A and something else,maybe you can buy the GT turbos for USD 2000 but to pay from Cyprus to get it from the USA it will cost me 2500 or more.
Where are you getting your prices? If GT42's are costing you $2500 then the T51KAI has to be in the $4000~$4500 range. GT42's can be purchased for as low as $1600 if you do some searching. MSRP on a T51KAI is $3100.

I will apologize to the forum because I am the person who suggested using something from the GT42 line over the grossly overpriced HKS T51 series.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

The T51R KAI is the small turbo of the series. It would match the smallest of the GT42s...

The big brother is the T51R SPL BB... this is a true 1000 horsepower turbo. if i remember correctly it has 1.02 a/r... the price of the hks turbos is simply too much...

this is how big the T51R SPL looks like on a 2 liter engine...

the SPL has 76.5mm compressor inducer and the KAI 70mm
the SPL has 102.2mm compressor major and the KAI 94mm

the turbine is the same...

Now you can compare it to the GT42R versions better!!!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

For the fuel system you might want to check with AMS since they offer a 1000hp fuel SYSTEM. Think system instead of just pumps.

Fuel pump(s)
Fuel line(s)
Regulator
Filter
Fittings

Over here in JDM land, most of the high horsepower street cars use a surge tank setup. There are two different systems.

Intank feeder pump that supplies fuel to a fuel pump(s) inside of the collector tank.
Intank feeder pump that supplies fuel to the collector tank that feeds an inline pump.

The Japanese think collector tanks are better than sumps but in actually the collector tank is just an outboard sump that helps prevent fuel starvation during hard accelaration/decelation and corning.

I am sure you guys have seen these setups because the Runduce EVO has a collector tank mounted in front of it's fuel cell.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Another differance between the HKS T51 series and the Garrett gt42r is that HKS machines a compressor inlet velocity stack to help with compressor efficiency. Full Race also does this on their versions of Garrett turbo's. It helps efficiency about 1% or so.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTREVO
Dun worry bout the comments...just go ahead to build it but I reckon you'll get better results with the 42R...the T51R Kai has been used in 2 of the New Zealand Evo 3's running low 8's but they're running methanol for fuel and its a radical setup. You're gonna be running C16 thus you can't go wrong with running JUNS and a GT42R which is exactly the same as what our new drag Evo 3 is gonna be.

If you're mixture is right , you wouldn't have to do anything to maintain that sort of engine apart from changing the oil, checking the compression, leak down and main bearings after each race.... on which the Fluidamper is a definite must..
Thanks for your coms.I am trying to reach TTP Engin to buy the Fluidampr but i haven't got any response yet and i need it by 3rd Jan due to that we are finishing the car and hopefully by end of Jan the car will go on dyno.I run Tomei cams and the engine is full,not a screw left that it is not change into racing products.The think is that my tuner insists in buying the T51R KAI BB,and my most parts are from HKS.I was told that the T51R KAI is a little more aggressive than the GT42R and a liitle smaller in size also,due to that the car will be driven in the road also.

I hope the other membs coms won't come true and nothing will break.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rutt
Where are you getting your prices? If GT42's are costing you $2500 then the T51KAI has to be in the $4000~$4500 range. GT42's can be purchased for as low as $1600 if you do some searching. MSRP on a T51KAI is $3100.

I will apologize to the forum because I am the person who suggested using something from the GT42 line over the grossly overpriced HKS T51 series.
I got these prices from Cyprus tuners and some shops in USA.I think one Jap shop if i remember correct has those prices given to me to import it to Cyprus.

About fuel,i have the fuel lines,fuel rail,one BBK in the tank and one BOSCH 044 out,and an aeromotive regulator.

I saw AMS fuel system it is very good but it is a little overcosted.

Now i realised that you are not fun of the HKS turbines .Is it only because they are too much expensive?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy4g63
Another differance between the HKS T51 series and the Garrett gt42r is that HKS machines a compressor inlet velocity stack to help with compressor efficiency. Full Race also does this on their versions of Garrett turbo's. It helps efficiency about 1% or so.
Can you finds any pics or videos with T51R KAI BB on evos?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

i dont know what u guys are building this cars for but eddie (proccoevo)is traping mid 140s on a gt40 i have a 35r with a 67wheel and the car is a animal at 35psi
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT45 is for 1500hp.GT42 is not very cheaper than T51 KAI and what do you mean pain to maintain? Evo's in Cyprus up to 900-1100hp are running for three years now with only oil change and service.

You do not think that the T51 KAI is more aggressive turbo from the GT42 and faster spooling???You think that it will not be able to run easily up to 1000hp?
Then why come on here and ask questions if theres shops you can locally call and get info from? All your threads lately sound like you have no clue what to do.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

what ign. system ur gona run? also what ems?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Now i realised that you are not fun of the HKS turbines .Is it only because they are too much expensive?
Actually, I like the HKS turbos because they were making Hybrids (T4/T3) for a very long time. Many people in the Honda crowd think they are innovators because they used a t4/t3 hybrid but the HKS T300S (TO4S/T3) has been in production since the early 90's. My main complaints pertain to HKS's pricing and quirky little differences in designs. The HKS TO4S uses an oddball compressor blade setup. The inducer and exducer for the blade are exactly like a 60-1 but it uses the back spacing of a 62-1. Now, that is plain STUPID!! This design is obviously used to ensure that only overpriced HKS parts are used since the T04S blade cost 4 times more than a 60-1. HKS has no choice but to lower the price of their products because there are too many alternatives available now. Actually, most Japanese companies need to lower their pricing. Thanks to US companies many Japanese companies have lowered their prices drastically. FMIC kits that once sold for $3000 are now selling for as low as $800~$1000. Exhaust setups that required remortaging the homestead are now selling for mere pennies.

HKS does make good products but I am thankful that the Garrett USA provides products that perform just as well (or better) at less cost.

Since I am using a T67/T3 on my Honduh, I will most like install the T300S on my EVO after I gather some more parts.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

A GT42 or GT42R prices range from $1000-2200 non ball bearing GT45R only comes in ball bearing which is $2000-2500 theses prices range on how much money the shop wants to make i really cant tell how much shops get it for.

The hks turbo is around $3000 the cheapest
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

For the fuel system you might want to check with AMS since they offer a 1000hp fuel SYSTEM. Think system instead of just pumps.

Fuel pump(s)
Fuel line(s)
Regulator
Filter
Fittings

Over here in JDM land, most of the high horsepower street cars use a surge tank setup. There are two different systems.

Intank feeder pump that supplies fuel to a fuel pump(s) inside of the collector tank.
Intank feeder pump that supplies fuel to the collector tank that feeds an inline pump.

The Japanese think collector tanks are better than sumps but in actually the collector tank is just an outboard sump that helps prevent fuel starvation during hard accelaration/decelation and corning.

I am sure you guys have seen these setups because the Runduce EVO has a collector tank mounted in front of it's fuel cell.
If you didnt know AMS drag car doesnt use this kit they use a ext. pump thats why it sounds like a airplane inside the car. Watch there videos.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_08
i dont know what u guys are building this cars for but eddie (proccoevo)is traping mid 140s on a gt40 i have a 35r with a 67wheel and the car is a animal at 35psi
Thats all in driver and traction.

The ams and B/R cars should be in low 8's high 7's by now with there power.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
If you didnt know AMS drag car doesnt use this kit they use a ext. pump thats why it sounds like a airplane inside the car. Watch there videos.
I'm in Japan so I have no idea what the actual AMS car uses but I do know their 1000hp fuel setup kit uses an intank Walbro to feeds an inline Walbro.

Quick Reply: TURBOS GT42R Vs T51R KAI PLUS FUEL