Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crank/Cam timing marks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank/Cam timing marks

Someone help me out here.... When you line your cam gear timing marks up on the valve cover, where is your crank timing mark at? Is it before or after TDC?

I just recently did cam gears and totally lost where they needed to be, as it stands now, with the crank timing mark set to 0 DBTDC the intake cam is retarded (mark more towards the firewall) by about 3 degrees and the exhaust cam is advanced (toward the front bumper) by about 3 degrees.

3 degrees is about a half a tooth on the cam gear. This means that if I rotate one of my cam gears by one tooth toward the other and realign them, I will be able to have them both hit the mark.... but then the crank will be off by that 3 degrees... I dont know what to do. as it stands I just used my adjustable cam gears to make all the marks line up as they should... but I dont want to use them to cover for my mistakes, plus I'm not entirely convinced that the crank timing marks SHOULD line up when the cam marks do. The evomoto instructions seem to suggest that the crank marks are less trustworthy.

So anyone know what to do?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

There are a couple different timing marks on the timing belt cover, but look for the one that isn't just a line (l). There will be one that's a tee (+), and that's the mark your trying to line the crank pulley up to. It's hard to see down there, but with good light and the right angle, you can see it. Don't let any slack in the belt exist between the gears, if it does, rotate the belt via the crank pulley bolt clockwise to get the slack on the belt tensioner side. Once you get the bottom mark lined up on the crank pulley, then adjust your cam gear marks to line up with the markings on the timing belt cover.

Hope that makes sense.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Also you could stick a long screwdriver into cylinder one and turn the crank over by hand and when the screw driver is at its highest point that is true TDC.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
There are a couple different timing marks on the timing belt cover, but look for the one that isn't just a line (l). There will be one that's a tee (+), and that's the mark your trying to line the crank pulley up to. It's hard to see down there, but with good light and the right angle, you can see it. Don't let any slack in the belt exist between the gears, if it does, rotate the belt via the crank pulley bolt clockwise to get the slack on the belt tensioner side. Once you get the bottom mark lined up on the crank pulley, then adjust your cam gear marks to line up with the markings on the timing belt cover.

Hope that makes sense.

When I looked down there I saw "BTDC" and 3 or 4 hash marks on the cover. There was one to the left of 0, there was one labeled 0, and I think maybe 2 more to the right of 0, one of which was labeled 1. Where is this "+" mark? Is it at "twelve o'clock" for the crank pulley? That's where I'm seeing the marks I described.

I also thought about the screwdriver method... I'm just not sure I'll notice 1.5 degrees difference on the crank. (3 degrees on the cams are 1.5 degrees on the crank)

Thanks for the help thus far.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will be at least 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation where it will be very difficult to see the screwdriver move. Not much more trustworthy than the crappy plastic t-belt cover that is probably molded in some third world country for 4 cents each. It is so easy to pull that cover on the EVO that I see no reason not to do it. EVOs really have it easy compared to the DSMs If I am in a huge rush or feeling lazy however, I do use the t-belt cover marks, but you have to look at them "before" so you have something to compare to "after." You can't assume it will line up with the TDC mark. The notch on the trigger plate is much more accurate...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
When I looked down there I saw "BTDC" and 3 or 4 hash marks on the cover. There was one to the left of 0, there was one labeled 0, and I think maybe 2 more to the right of 0, one of which was labeled 1. Where is this "+" mark? Is it at "twelve o'clock" for the crank pulley? That's where I'm seeing the marks I described.

I also thought about the screwdriver method... I'm just not sure I'll notice 1.5 degrees difference on the crank. (3 degrees on the cams are 1.5 degrees on the crank)

Thanks for the help thus far.

The "1" you saw is the same "+" I'm talking about. Furthest to the right when looking at it from the radiator overflow bottle area.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Try this link to evomoto's website about cam install, there's a perfect picture and a little writeup about finding the proper alignment for timing marks.

It's step 15.

http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPa...2e78f242aa1910
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, you really are awesome. You both helped alot!