Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy TD HD engagement dead spot?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy TD HD engagement dead spot?

Did a lot of searching but didn't find anyone quite with this problem. I had an Exedy HD twin disc clutch put in a few months ago, and probably have put on 2K or more of daily driving in stop and go on it.

Here's my issue as of this past few days.. not sure if it's the cold weather or not, but even after a 1hr commute to work it does this SOMETIMES.

What I feel is a dead spot before the clutch engages even when it should. It's kind of like waiting for that rollercoaster to be pulled, you sort of feel it engage and then clunk, it grabs. Obviously it's annoying since I get stuck with this traffic daily and as of late it's making me wonder if I have the clutch engaged or not, then get this "jerk".

I'm a bit confused as to what this is.. I may try to lengthen the clutch rod to see if this helps. I never adjusted the rod since installation, but really have never had a need to.

What could this be? I am not getting any slippage of the clutch at all, just this engagement point.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

I've been having that too with my stock clutch and I hate it, especially when i'm cruising with my friends and then it happens I just feel like a noob driving a stick car.

Yeah you could try adjusting your clutch pedal to get a "better" grab of the clutch engagement. I know i'll do that as soon as I change this stockish piece of clutch.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adjust the clutch pedal, check your brake fluid. I know what you are talking about.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Was there any results to this? I have been noticing my brake light come on under heavy braking.... I also have a weird dead spot of sorts while slipping the clutch a ton with hardly giving it any gas. If you don't slip it as much it is fine.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

Update... Topped off the brake fluid brake light was fixed but the cluth still seems to have a dead spot at about 50% engagement during slow clutch releases. The only way to describe it is it seems the clutch engages about 50% then another 50%.... The pressure pushing your foot back seems to lessen for about an inch of travel and then ccatch again that is how I am able to notice it...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

bump?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

what your probably feeling is an uneven transfer layer of clutch material deposited on the flywheel & pres, plate. this can happen when driving cerametallic clutches too softly, not uncommon when their used on the street.

i know it sounds unusual, but the fix for this is actually to be be a bit harder on the clutch. do a few high rpm starts, launching is not needed, just let it slip a bit more & start with higher RPM than usual. after the clutch cools off & returns to normal temps if should feel much better.

if this does not solve your problem, you may be having an issue with one of the discs binding on the input shaft
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try burning it a little. i do this when the clutch doesn't feel right. high rpm, slow engagement. i do the same thing to warm it up before a drag launch if its cold.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

but it is new with 100 miles on it lol...
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlieGsanD
what your probably feeling is an uneven transfer layer of clutch material deposited on the flywheel & pres, plate. this can happen when driving cerametallic clutches too softly, not uncommon when their used on the street.

i know it sounds unusual, but the fix for this is actually to be be a bit harder on the clutch. do a few high rpm starts, launching is not needed, just let it slip a bit more & start with higher RPM than usual. after the clutch cools off & returns to normal temps if should feel much better.

if this does not solve your problem, you may be having an issue with one of the discs binding on the input shaft

Did some slow slippage with higher revs a couple times did nothing.... What is strange is now it seems to do it when the car is cool but gets worse when warm. The odd thing is the clutch pedal comes up but the clutch does not seem to do anything even while the pedal is moving up then all of a sudden it will grab and if your not careful it will kick your ***! It feels like the clutch engages then goes neutral then fully engages.... or engages slips then engages.

floor board --1-2--3-

1 is the first engagement 2 is the neutral feeling and 3 is full engagement.

Last edited by ThEHiTMaN; Oct 25, 2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Did you take a part the clutch before you installed it? We found one of the Exedy twins that had one of the discs backwards in it prob from assembly person screwing it up.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Same here AMS says it's normal, as others said you have to burn the junk off the disks once in a while.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Can someone describe in great detail? This symptom of needing to burn the clutch. I think we may be talking about different thing here.... My clutch pedal actually seems to move with nothing engaging anything.. for almost an inch, then all of a sudden it will grab like hell.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.teamrip.com/faq.htm

Quick Reply: Exedy TD HD engagement dead spot?