Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4G64 crank or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4G64 crank or aftermarket

I'm currently looking to piece together a 2.3L stroker kit for a friend and would like advice on whether to stay with the stock 4G64 100mm crank or go for an aftermarket one from Eagle or K1. The K1 looks very interesting.....

Btw, anyone knows what's the part number for the forged steel 4G64 crankshaft?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
eagle cranks are pretty good but you can also go OEM. what are the power goals for the motor?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
eagle cranks are pretty good but you can also go OEM. what are the power goals for the motor?
My friend wants to use a GT35R on this stroker. We have basically decided to use Pauters or Carrillo ProH rods and Ross pistons. Now just deciding on the crankshaft. The price difference isn't that great between the stocker and the aftermarket so I'm kinda curious why more people are sticking to the stocker. Is it because of quality issues on the Eagle or K1?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think its because the eagle crank is fairly new. all the other options before were way to expensive. Go with the eagle I am sure it will work out good.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

I think everyone uses the stock crank cause no one's broke one, thier plenty strong. Might be a good idea to get it nitrided though. Nice choice on the Pauters or Carrillos, cant go wrong with either. You should look at Buschur's JE pistons as well, in addition to Ross.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
anyone know anything specific about butcher cranks? like as in first hand know.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy4g63
I think everyone uses the stock crank cause no one's broke one, thier plenty strong. Might be a good idea to get it nitrided though. Nice choice on the Pauters or Carrillos, cant go wrong with either. You should look at Buschur's JE pistons as well, in addition to Ross.
Cool...sounds like we shld stick to the stocker. Can anyone tell me what the part number is so that I can get it from the parts dept locally? I read that there's several 4G64 cranks out there and not all are forged. Is this correct info.?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think everyone uses the stock crank cause no one's broke one, thier plenty strong.
Wrong. The stock 2.0L is very strong, but there are plenty of people who have broken 2.4L 100mm factory cranks.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Wrong. The stock 2.0L is very strong, but there are plenty of people who have broken 2.4L 100mm factory cranks.
Who has broken one? A professionally installed one from a reputable engine builder that is.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Eagle all the way. Last Sat on Powerblock they showed how the eagle cranks are made along with rods and the process. The craftsmanship is excellant. Quality control is above and beyond.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Who has broken one? A professionally installed one from a reputable engine builder that is.
I know of at least 20 broken 2.4 factory cranks. Some were due to machine work on used factory cranks (generally stress risers from the radius), but others were brand new. If you do a search on any DSM board, you'll find these kind of experiences with the 100mm cranks. The 100mm cranks all come from non-turbo Mitsubishi cars. The DSMers have used them for stroker cranks for years.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
I know of at least 20 broken 2.4 factory cranks. Some were due to machine work on used factory cranks (generally stress risers from the radius), but others were brand new. If you do a search on any DSM board, you'll find these kind of experiences with the 100mm cranks. The 100mm cranks all come from non-turbo Mitsubishi cars. The DSMers have used them for stroker cranks for years.
Is there something differant with the Evo then? I know the stroker crank hasn't been used on the Evo nearly as long as it has on DSM's, but I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them from Bushur, AMS, RRS etc. Have they just not had enough time to break yet?

Why do people have issues with them? What's the weak point? I was all set to get a stroker short block, pushing 700+ whp, but now I'm wondering if I'd be better off building a 2.0L. I was going to get the crank nitrided as well to help with strength, just for added assurance. What other options are out there?
Old Dec 23, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

If your going to use H-beam rods. a OEM 4g64 crank will NOT be your weakest link.

-Cass
Old Dec 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
buschur doesn't like stroking motors... he's said it before.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
buschur doesn't like stroking motors... he's said it before.
yeah so?

He also never liked running a Big turbo on a street car but look at him now.

I myself like the added offboost power because i plan on daily driving a 35r.

And what does that comment have to do with this thread anyways?

Quick Reply: 4G64 crank or aftermarket